Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite
Originally Posted by jabillisruti
Does anyone else have the problem of bonus points showing but NOT counting towards Companion Pass??

Any CP feedback from applying for the new cards?
I don't think there have been any confirmed reports here on FT of people not having the credit card sign up bonuses count towards CP. Are you sure you're not looking at A-list progress, which has different qualification criteria than the CP (credit card points count towards CP but not A-list)? I ask because the A-list progress bar is displayed prominently when you log on to your rapid rewards account, but not the CP progress.

To check your companion status progress, log on to your rapid rewards account, click on "My account", then click on "My Rapid Rewards", then scroll down to the "Companion Status" progress bar under the "My Rapid Rewards Summary" on the left.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I am thinking of getting the Southwest Premier this time. I am thinking of closing the BA card as it is due to annual fee. Should I close the BA or Southwest Plus first, or both before applying for the Southwest Premier?

Last edited by opus2002; Apr 18, 2012 at 9:09 am
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by opus2002
I am thinking of getting the Southwest Premier this time. I am thinking of closing the BA card as it is due to annual fee. Should I close the BA or Southwest Plus first, or both before applying for the Southwest Premier?
I think the general rule around here is to, if at all possible, never close a Chase card without using it as leverage to get another card. Actually I'm in the same situation as you with an open BA card that I intend to cancel here pretty quick and also getting ready to apply for the SW card within the next month or so. I will apply for the SW card first and if I get any guff from Chase about giving me another one of their cards (I've got 4 open right now) I will just offer up my BA card in exchange. If I cancel the BA before I apply, I won't have much to bargain with since my other Chase cards probably don't have enough credit line to spread around to a new card.
Short story: if you think you'll need to talk them into giving you a card, always try to have something available to bargain with.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by brasov02
I think the general rule around here is to, if at all possible, never close a Chase card without using it as leverage to get another card. Actually I'm in the same situation as you with an open BA card that I intend to cancel here pretty quick and also getting ready to apply for the SW card within the next month or so. I will apply for the SW card first and if I get any guff from Chase about giving me another one of their cards (I've got 4 open right now) I will just offer up my BA card in exchange. If I cancel the BA before I apply, I won't have much to bargain with since my other Chase cards probably don't have enough credit line to spread around to a new card.
Short story: if you think you'll need to talk them into giving you a card, always try to have something available to bargain with.
If you choose to close the BA card before applying for new card, you can ask the credit line from BA card to be moved to any other card before they close. Then when you apply for new card and they ask for credit shuffle, ask for the previously moved credit line to be used.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
I was approved for a Premier Visa earlier this week. Card has not arrived yet, but it is on the way.

Can I also apply for the Biz card if I am not self-employed or own my own business? If so, should I wait a month or can I apply right away?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Travel22
I was approved for a Premier Visa earlier this week. Card has not arrived yet, but it is on the way.

Can I also apply for the Biz card if I am not self-employed or own my own business? If so, should I wait a month or can I apply right away?

Thanks.
I did them both on the same day. Had to call for recon on the biz card, in the end they had no problem issuing both. You can state that you are a sole proprietor and want to keep biz expenses separate to get the biz card (could be just about anything - ebay, rental property, etc.). Generally it is better to group applications so minimize the number of hard pulls on your credit score.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:48 pm

I had a southwest credit card but I cancelled it last year. If I open up another one, will I get the bonus points? I believe this is called "churn".

Last edited by DJOhio; Apr 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:12 pm

Cancel card

I received my card about 1 month ago. I have already received the 50K points. If I cancel the card now, can I lose these points? I have already been charged the annual fee. will I get a pro-rated credit? Thanks!
Old May 3, 2012, 2:06 pm

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the deals. I am looking for a fee based SW card that I will most likely cancel after a year or downgrade to a non fee card. (As SW is huge out of Baltimore)

These are current?

Plus: 50k points w 3k bonus per year for $69 fee.
Premier: 50k bonus w 6k bonus per year for $100 fee.

I only want one card, so I won't be doing a business/personal double whammy. Which should I go with? Are they both even available to me? (great credit score, no recent pulls/CC opens) Do I need links, it seems like I can do both on their website.

And again, my hope is to downgrade it after they stop comp'ing my fees to a non fee card if possible. I will do all my major spending on this.

Its between a SW card and Starwood Preferred Guest, I want to put in place my main spending cards for the future. I will deal with 1 fee per year of the payoffs are worth it.

Thanks for any advice, still have to figure out how to spend my 150k points I have from my AA cards I did last time.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by IceWilly
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the deals. I am looking for a fee based SW card that I will most likely cancel after a year or downgrade to a non fee card. (As SW is huge out of Baltimore)

These are current?

Plus: 50k points w 3k bonus per year for $69 fee.
Premier: 50k bonus w 6k bonus per year for $100 fee.

I only want one card, so I won't be doing a business/personal double whammy. Which should I go with? Are they both even available to me? (great credit score, no recent pulls/CC opens) Do I need links, it seems like I can do both on their website.

And again, my hope is to downgrade it after they stop comp'ing my fees to a non fee card if possible. I will do all my major spending on this.

Its between a SW card and Starwood Preferred Guest, I want to put in place my main spending cards for the future. I will deal with 1 fee per year of the payoffs are worth it.

Thanks for any advice, still have to figure out how to spend my 150k points I have from my AA cards I did last time.
Yes, those are the two that have been intermittently available. If they are available now, go for it! I have never seen a SW branded card that is no-fee. However, if I were to choose, I would pick the premier. The annual fee is basically free if you actually fly Southwest, as those 6k points are worth $100 in SW fares. You lose $20 a year on the plus, as the 3k is only worth $50 in SW.

Plus: 50k points w 3k bonus per year for $69 fee. = $50 in SW airfare annually
Premier: 50k bonus w 6k bonus per year for $100 fee. = $100 in SW airfare annually
Old May 4, 2012, 8:21 am

Pulled the trigger on the Premier, thanks for the input.

Any recall the datapoints for how long it takes after first purchase for the miles to hit the account? Have a trip in August I want to use them for.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by IceWilly
Pulled the trigger on the Premier, thanks for the input.

Any recall the datapoints for how long it takes after first purchase for the miles to hit the account? Have a trip in August I want to use them for.
They post a couple days after your first statement closes. Your first statement usually closes 2 weeks to 1 month after you get your card, so you're probably looking around 16 to 35 days from now. You should be fine for your trip in August. Southwest's birthday is June 18th and they usually run a sale around that time so you should have your points in time for that!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Any valid links for the Plus offer ($69 fee) still available? The link posted in the special CC offers master thread no longer works and it takes me to a 25000 pt offer.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by blase
Any valid links for the Plus offer ($69 fee) still available? The link posted in the special CC offers master thread no longer works and it takes me to a 25000 pt offer.
Here ya go.

Just FYI, this offer is currently running on Southwest's site. It does go up and down intermittently like someone previously mentioned, but it's public right now.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by blase
All of the generic links I've saved have also died. I was pretty bummed since I'd just gotten the personal and was going to wait another month or two before getting the biz to do the companion pass deal. But then I just went into my Rapid Rewards account and the 50,000 point offers are all still there. Not sure if that varies from account to account or not but if you don't have a RR account you might just open up one and see if you can access the 50,000 offer from there.
Also, does anyone have any informed insight into how long those 50,000 point card offers will stick around? They've been around for a long time, so I'm just hoping I'm not pushing my luck by waiting a month or two before getting the other card. I've also heard that biz cards are treated separate from personal ones in the sense that you don't need to do the usual Chase 30-60 day wait as you might want to do with a series of personals?
Life is so complicated...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.