Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2011, 2:02 am

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by drsaith
hmm, link seems to still be live through the southwest site, despite word it ending last night

http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/southwest/octpromobox
As tempting as it is for 2 free round trips I already have the CO onepass master card from Chase I got in Jan, and the Marriott 70K and 1 free night visa I just got also from Chase. Will hold of hope for some great offers at the start of 2012. 2 Chase is enough for the year. Don't even think I would be approved for a 3rd if I wanted to.

If anything still wondering about the UA offer. Should I apply for the 50K mile offer or w.e it is now before CO and UA combine in 2012?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, WN CP, etc.
Today I called the Chase reconsideration line 2 days after applying, and I got the CSR to approve me by switching around my existing credit lines but not increasing the total amount.

I'd recommend calling the reconsideration line, even if you haven't gotten a decision, and you can get them to at least entertain the idea of rearranging your credit lines to get new cards without raising your overall credit line. IME you'll have a much better chance of being approved. In fact I've gotten 5 Chase cards in the last year with the reconsideration line. Good luck folks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by SanFranMcG
Today I called the Chase reconsideration line 2 days after applying, and I got the CSR to approve me by switching around my existing credit lines but not increasing the total amount.
Is this your second SWA card? Had you received the bonus within the last six months?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, WN CP, etc.
Yes; the first was the Premier card in Aug, and the second was the Plus card yesterday.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 am

Does it matter when you activate the cards? I've received both my personal and biz cards, want to go for CP in 2012, haven't activated or spent on them yet. Can I just activate them now, or should I wait for 1/1/12?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:13 am

We accidentally put my RR number on my wifes application. How should I deal with this, or don't? Doesn't matter to me as long as they will be used together, as long as it won't screw anything up...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Need advice from the Chase experts:

I applied for this card in mid Aug but was declined for having too many open Chase accounts, despite me offering to close one of my accounts. I then called back at the beginning of Sept to ask if they would reconsider - they then declined me for too many inquiries.

I REALLY want this card - both this one and the business card. Would it be unwise of me to apply again? I'd like to apply ASAP before they take down the promo. I called the reconsideration line to ask them if they would auto-decline me because I had just been declined a few months ago but they said they couldn't advise me on what might happen on a future application. They also said they couldn't tell me when would be a good time for me to re-apply.

So I'm kinda in the dark here. I've got very good credit, so that's not an issue - I think it's just a matter of getting CHASE to approve me. Don't know if it helps, but I did just close the Continental One Pass Plus card I got back in Feb.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by swdke
I've read elsewhere that this offer expires today.
As most or all of you know, the Southwest 50k offer did not go away over the weekend as had been speculated by various FTers and bloggers (including me). I feel bad that I passed along a rumor that turned out to be wrong, so I want to make clear what happened.

Chase's representatives let the blogging community know on Thursday that they had to stop advertising the Chase card on Friday. In case you didn't know, many of us keep the lights on by accepting advertising from the credit card companies. This has the potential to bias our recommendations, but, at least in my case, I will claim it doesn't. Note that I still have the Southwest card and AA 50k cards as my #2 and #3 recommendations on my home page -- which you can find by googling "Free Travel Genius" -- even though I cannot get a dime for them.

Usually we get these notifications when the cards are being pulled or when an offer is being changed. This time it simply meant that they won't pay us for these cards anymore (but the cards are still available directly on Chase's website). Again, my apologies for passing along misinformation.

I still feel that this card is the best offer around right now for domestic travelers and the 2nd best offer overall (after the Sapphire due to the optionality of cash or united miles worth a lot when used for international and/or biz class flights), though it is a close call.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Here is my data point. I currently hold a Southwest Card that I opened in February of this year when they were offering 16 credits and $500 in southwest gift cards under RR 1.0. I applied on 11/10 for the Plus card. I called in today to ck status and they told me I was declined due to currently having the Southwest card. I advised that I would be willing to close the current Southwest card in order to approve the Plus card. The CSR told me she may be able to do that but I would not obtain the 50K bonus as I had already rec'd one on my existing card. I told her that the bonus I rec'd on my current card was under the old Rapid Rewards program and it had been more than 6 months since I rec'd the bonus. I told her I inquired at Chase before applying and they advised me the bonus would apply since it had been more than 6 mos (b.s. by the way).
She reviewed my credit and did approve the card. Now I will see if I get the points and fight that battle if I don't. My wife did exact same thing as I.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by barnburner
We accidentally put my RR number on my wifes application. How should I deal with this, or don't? Doesn't matter to me as long as they will be used together, as long as it won't screw anything up...
I want to do the opposite. Wife (approved) and I (pending) want to use the same RR#. I think we applied with our own. Will Chase put the same number on 2 accounts if I ask?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Got them both, but it took 2 calls to the reconsideration line and the sacrifice of 3 other Chase cards (Ink, Amazon, and Continental).

Now it's a decision as to if i want to wait until 01/01/2012 to go for the companion card or try to get it done before.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Got both the Plus personal card and the Plus business card. Was somewhat surprised because I had a SW credit card that I just canceled earlier this year. Will buy something with each of them on January 1st and then work on acquiring the 10k additional points for the companion pass.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
For those wanting to qualify for the CP in 2012 and have gotten the (personal and business) cards, are you activating it now and then wait till Jan to make the first purchases? Or are you waiting till Jan to activate and make first purchases?

I am leaning towards activating now and confirming the offers now on my cards, and then wait till Jan to make the purchases since ideally, I should not get the points until statement closes with first purchase on it.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by booyaa
For those wanting to qualify for the CP in 2012 and have gotten the (personal and business) cards, are you activating it now and then wait till Jan to make the first purchases? Or are you waiting till Jan to activate and make first purchases?

I am leaning towards activating now and confirming the offers now on my cards, and then wait till Jan to make the purchases since ideally, I should not get the points until statement closes with first purchase on it.
I have not activated the cards yet. I might do so in the next couple days though. Would hate for Chase to somehow kill the account because the card was never activated and thus lose out on the promo. The rep I spoke with said that wouldn't happen but we've all had a rep give us bad info at some point.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I want to do the opposite. Wife (approved) and I (pending) want to use the same RR#. I think we applied with our own. Will Chase put the same number on 2 accounts if I ask?
I'm not sure why this keeps coming up... it's clearly prohibited.

To settle the question definitely, here is the language from the T&Cs:

Membership in the Rapid Rewards program is for individual travelers only. Individuals must enroll separately and may not pool or combine points with other Members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.