Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Q. What are the best current offers?

Offer for 50K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $125 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $2K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Reconsideration

I applied for the card on the 1st. Got a pending application and went on my trip. Returned yesterday and found a denial letter with "too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us". I recently received Continental and Priority (Priority just a month ago) so was not very suprised to receive that answer. I called the number in this thread and mentally prepared myself to answer the questions that other FT members have reported. However, to my pleasant surprise, the guy just put me on hold and then adviced that he approved the application, and that I would receive the card within 7-10 business days. Just $8,000 credit line, but who cares!

I intend to start charging all my new Chase CCs for more than just required spending. It makes solid common sense besides just being grateful for their generosity. Those guys are not stupid and we need to give something in return if we want those deals to keep coming.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:56 am

I applied two weeks ago. After 10 days, I received a letter saying I either had too much credit right now, or too much credit with Chase. I only have one card with Chase, but closed another recently. Both cards had high limits, and the one remaining still does.

I emailed to ask if they could split the credit line between the card I have and the Sapphire card. The first rep just re-sent an email copy of the same letter I had already received. The second person understood what I wanted, and said they'd forward my request to the appropriate department.

Today, I had an email approving me for the Sapphire card.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Fourth time a charm?

Originally Posted by booyaa
I had opened Chase CO on 12/10/10 and Chase BA on 4/10/11. Applied for Chase Sapphire today. Result was pending. Called 1-888-245-0625 and was told application was declined due to too many recent inquiries (5 only) and too many recent accounts open. Asked to close CO or shift credit limit, wouldn’t budge since CO and BA were opened in recent 6 months.

Hung up and called again. Same thing (apparently a note was left from previous convo with first agent), this time was also told they are trying to prevent people from applying just for bonuses. Both times I was also asked why I’m applying for Sapphire since I’ve applied for CO and BA recently. Was told to “continue maintaining good relationship and later shifting credit line is definitely an option.” Again citing the recent new cards as reason for unable to approve. I’m definitely calling again in a couple of days.
After the previous two call-ins, I tried once again a day later. Still no dice with same reasons. Waited 2 days and tried again today, a lovely lady, N***y told me yes it was declined and gave me same reason (too many inquiries and accounts open in last 12 months). She then asked me why I have being applying for so many. I told her I have been looking for the "best" travel rewards card, and said though CO card was great, Sapphire gave me more flexibility and benefits (and naming them). She then offered to close my Freedom card, which I politely explained the only reason I don't want to close that is because it is my longest history card and asked to close CO instead. She agreed but said I need another 1k CL for the 5k minimum on signature cards, so I asked to pull 1k from BA. And voila! It is now going to the "last step" for approval!

Lesson from me and others who offered (thanks guys): KEEP CALLING!

Since I opened CO on 12/17/10 (not the 10th like I thought) and closed within 6 months. I just transferred all my CO miles to my UA account, just in case!

Last edited by booyaa; Jun 10, 2011 at 8:17 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US

Lesson from me and others who offered (thanks guys): KEEP CALLING!

Since I opened CO on 12/17/10 and closed within 6 months. I just transferred all my CO miles to my UA account, just in case!
So, I got three accounts with Chase. A really old stale, a BA opened April, and a Priority Club opened in May. Should I close the old stale card first before applying? Should I wait 6 months (beyond the required 30 days) first?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
So, I got three accounts with Chase. A really old stale, a BA opened April, and a Priority Club opened in May. Should I close the old stale card first before applying? Should I wait 6 months (beyond the required 30 days) first?
From others' and my own experience, 6 month gap is a myth. 30-day gap is generally ok. I waited close to 60 days before applying again.

Do not close your old stale ahead of time. Open accounts are "leverage". Let them suggest what approach to take. They may not need to close any account. They may only need to shift credit limits. They may need to close an account, which then you may suggest which to close. They may say they can't help you, then you may be able to suggest the previous two options.

If you applied to PC in May, I personally would choose to wait till July for another app with Chase.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
From others' and my own experience, 6 month gap is a myth. 30-day gap is generally ok. I waited close to 60 days before applying again.

Do not close your old stale ahead of time. Open accounts are "leverage". Let them suggest what approach to take. They may not need to close any account. They may only need to shift credit limits. They may need to close an account, which then you may suggest which to close. They may say they can't help you, then you may be able to suggest the previous two options.

If you applied to PC in May, I personally would choose to wait till July for another app with Chase.

+1
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: US, AA, UA, SPG, HHonors, PC
Just logged onto my Chase account and noticed this card is now listed with my other Chase cards. Looks like I was approved!! This is my 3rd Chase card in 8 months: Freedom in November, Continental in March, and now this one.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by XStAnt
Just logged onto my Chase account and noticed this card is now listed with my other Chase cards. Looks like I was approved!! This is my 3rd Chase card in 8 months: Freedom in November, Continental in March, and now this one.
Was there a special offer for Freedom?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Was there a special offer for Freedom?
A while ago I saw $200 cashback sign-up bonus, forgot what the spend was, but should be no more than $1500. Now I think best is $150?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: US, AA, UA, SPG, HHonors, PC
When I got the Freedom card it was before I was willing to do the multiple credit card apps. I was looking for a no annual fee cash back card. I liked the 5% bonus categories and also got $150 cash back.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Rejected, then approved

I applied for the Sapphire Preferred card about 7 days ago and got a rejection letter today. It said "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us". I've had 5 hard pulls since Jan. 1st & only have one Chase card currently. So I called the Chase reconsideration line at 888-270-2127 a few minutes ago. The rep asked me the amount of my mortgage payment, put me on hold for 2 minutes, and approved me. My FICO is about 750 & I've had a long history with Chase so I expected them to approve me.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

thanks FT,
I applied for this within a month of getting approved for BA 100 k. already had a long standing CO with chase. called next day using the number from here. she said it was turned down. was expecting it. was prepared for a reconsider schpeel..told them specifically better than AMex charge equivalent with equal benefits, going to be my primary card, no forex fees, i travel a lot, use diff airlines so need a flexible card to transfer points to diff airlines if i need to , moved some credit from my BA card and was done smoothly. she was not rushed took a couple of hold breaks and suggested herself we cna do this if u close your continental, i suggested credit line transfer from BA as the continental is my oldest.
i agree with one of the posts above, very nice people, professional yet smart an kind. i am liking chase more now.
amex wants a different kind of monopoly and high fees for good services, that you can get from others with such high fees.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
WARNING!

I screwed up. I meant to apply for the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card. The one with 50,000 points and no foreign transaction fees.

I applied. The card came in the mail. It's a regular sapphire card. 25,000 points (not transferable to airlines?) and foreign transaction fees.

I called Chase. I asked if they had rejected my application for the preferred card and just sent me the regular sapphire card, or if their records showed that I only applied for the sapphire card. At first they weren't sure. Then they told me that I applied only for the sapphire card and not for the preferred.

I looked through my search history. It appears I went to the Chase site and applied for the Chase sapphire card, not the preferred card. I think I went to this site and carelessly clicked on the Sapphire card (as it is bigger and more prominent than the "preferred" offer to the side).

I have no use for the sapphire card at all, so I told them I didn't want it. They told me this means I have to "close" the account, and it may or may not show up as an immediately opened and close account on my credit report. She said something about a 45 day opt out period that may help me and prevent it showing up as a closed account. I probably have an extra hard pull on my report now and a chase application that will be counted against me as well.

Not good. Be more careful than I was.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Did you try to talk them into closing the Sapphire and opening the Preferred instead? Even if they won't go for it, 25000 points is still $250 in free gift cards, considering you've already gotten a hard pull on your account anyway. Just take it and chock it up to the experience.

Come to think of it, just 3-4 years ago free $250 in CC benefits did get me excited.

Originally Posted by jphripjah
WARNING!

I screwed up. I meant to apply for the Chase Sapphire PREFERRED card. The one with 50,000 points and no foreign transaction fees.

I applied. The card came in the mail. It's a regular sapphire card. 25,000 points (not transferable to airlines?) and foreign transaction fees.

I called Chase. I asked if they had rejected my application for the preferred card and just sent me the regular sapphire card, or if their records showed that I only applied for the sapphire card. At first they weren't sure. Then they told me that I applied only for the sapphire card and not for the preferred.

I looked through my search history. It appears I went to the Chase site and applied for the Chase sapphire card, not the preferred card. I think I went to this site and carelessly clicked on the Sapphire card (as it is bigger and more prominent than the "preferred" offer to the side).

I have no use for the sapphire card at all, so I told them I didn't want it. They told me this means I have to "close" the account, and it may or may not show up as an immediately opened and close account on my credit report. She said something about a 45 day opt out period that may help me and prevent it showing up as a closed account. I probably have an extra hard pull on my report now and a chase application that will be counted against me as well.

Not good. Be more careful than I was.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
I have a current, long-standing Chase Slate card I'd love to change over to a Sapphire Preferred. I also have a UA Premium and UA Business account.

What would be the best method of doing this? Apply for the Sapphire Preferred, and when/if declined, appeal and ask for the Slate CR to be transferred over? What if I'm not declined? Just leave the Slate sitting out there?

New to the CC new cards points game, and I'm defintiely a bit confused.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.