Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Q. What are the best current offers?

Offer for 50K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $125 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $3K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter. Extra 5K for adding additional cardholder.

Offer for 40K points for $2K spend over 3 months; AF waived first year, $95 thereafter.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred is now 40K [$3000 in 3 months]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, No other status for now..
You can transfer any UR points from any card to the Sapphire, and subsequently transfer them to airline or hotel miles/points. I did this with my UR Points from my Chase Freedom card. Which makes it even more interesting: they have the different categories that earn 5% cash back on the Freedom card. If I spend at those places, using my freedom card, I'll get 5 miles/$ ..... after I meet my spend threshold, of course.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
I had opened Chase CO on 12/10/10 and Chase BA on 4/10/11. Applied for Chase Sapphire today. Result was pending. Called 1-888-245-0625 and was told application was declined due to too many recent inquiries (5 only) and too many recent accounts open. Asked to close CO or shift credit limit, wouldn’t budge since CO and BA were opened in recent 6 months.

Hung up and called again. Same thing (apparently a note was left from previous convo with first agent), this time was also told they are trying to prevent people from applying just for bonuses. Both times I was also asked why I’m applying for Sapphire since I’ve applied for CO and BA recently. Was told to “continue maintaining good relationship and later shifting credit line is definitely an option.” Again citing the recent new cards as reason for unable to approve. I’m definitely calling again in a couple of days.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by booyaa
this time was also told they are trying to prevent people from applying just for bonuses.
Darn this is not looking good.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Darn this is not looking good.
No it doesn't. But only one agent mentioned that. Has anyone else heard that? Or has anyone successfully gotten their denial reversed in the past two days (June)?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
No it doesn't. But only one agent mentioned that. Has anyone else heard that? Or has anyone successfully gotten their denial reversed in the past two days (June)?
If I were you, I would have closed CO.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
If I were you, I would have closed CO.
I tried. They said even if I did, still couldnt approve...
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: All of em...
I had opened Chase CO on 12/10/10 and Chase BA on 4/10/11. Applied for Chase Sapphire today. Result was pending. Called 1-888-245-0625 and was told application was declined due to too many recent inquiries (5 only) and too many recent accounts open. Asked to close CO or shift credit limit, wouldn’t budge since CO and BA were opened in recent 6 months.

Hung up and called again. Same thing (apparently a note was left from previous convo with first agent), this time was also told they are trying to prevent people from applying just for bonuses. Both times I was also asked why I’m applying for Sapphire since I’ve applied for CO and BA recently. Was told to “continue maintaining good relationship and later shifting credit line is definitely an option.” Again citing the recent new cards as reason for unable to approve. I’m definitely calling again in a couple of days.
I would not close your CO card yet, as you still have 2 more days before that card has hit 6 months. There's many reports on FT about Chase pulling the bonus miles back from cards if closed before 6 months, but YMMV.

However - KEEP CALLING!
I got the same answer when I applied for the BA card, however my inquiries were at 11, and I only had 1 Chase card (2 months old). I called - declined - said they could do nothing - not even move credit, I called again nothing, called again - nothing, called again and got somewhere with it, then I sent a secure message to Chase about how I wanted the card, what I would use it for, and how it would be my new primary card since my prior cards didn't need minimum spends currently, and they re-ran me to "evaluation", and then 2 weeks later, the acct showed up, and the card came in the mail 2 more weeks after that!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:47 pm

I agree- keep calling, last year I was turned down for the BA 100K card because I had recently opened a UA biz card. Flat out told no on reconsideration twice, but the third time was a charm. So for 3 five minute phone calls I got 100K BA miles!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
However - KEEP CALLING!
I got the same answer when I applied for the BA card, however my inquiries were at 11, and I only had 1 Chase card (2 months old). I called - declined - said they could do nothing - not even move credit, I called again nothing, called again - nothing, called again and got somewhere with it, then I sent a secure message to Chase about how I wanted the card, what I would use it for, and how it would be my new primary card since my prior cards didn't need minimum spends currently, and they re-ran me to "evaluation", and then 2 weeks later, the acct showed up, and the card came in the mail 2 more weeks after that!
This is outrageous. It looks like these guys are starting to make us put forth a little actual effort for all our free travel. The nerve.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:02 am

Thanks guys. Will keep trying. Both reps so far have been male reps, I'm wondering if a female rep will be more lenient. Hah...
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:15 am

turned down

I applied about a week and a half ago and got denied. I have three Chase cards now. I called them and was informed that I had too many cards opened and I would have to close one. I have a Disney, Marriott and BA. He said I would have to close the Disney. Not a big deal anyway, the wife has one also and we have been to Disney some 14 times with alot of savings from the cards. I told him that I would think about it. Several days go by and I get an email saying my card is on the way also saying they could not reach me to inform me that they dropped the Disney down to a credit limit of $7000. Got the card yesterday and will begin. ^
He also asked why was I wanting the card?

Last edited by gohogs34; Jun 8, 2011 at 7:16 am Reason: addition
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Chase reps frequently ask that question. Good research is your friend here. Before you call for reconsideration or, if already approved, for activation, look over the card's benefits. There'll generally be one benefit, in addition to the miles, that you'd actually like. Tell them that's why you were interested in the card.

I applied for the Chase BA and then 30 days later, for the Chase CO. I noticed that the CO card actually has a very good rental car insurance policy that's included when you pay for your rental with their card. Unlike my Amex Plat insurance benefit for which there is a fee, CO's coverage is free. When I activated the CO card, I mentioned that benefit.

This is little stuff, I know. But I know enough about these customer call centers to know that the reps are generally being asked to take notes during their telephone calls. Those notes may (depending on how sophisticated a company's IT system is) be available for review by other departments, including credit card approval and reconsideration. If your standard answer is "uh, the miles" and you do the FT standard: meet the spending requirement, put the credit card in the drawer, and cancel before the annual fee comes due, I guarantee you some of these companies are likely to reject your applications more frequently.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Chase reps frequently ask that question. Good research is your friend here. Before you call for reconsideration or, if already approved, for activation, look over the card's benefits. There'll generally be one benefit, in addition to the miles, that you'd actually like. Tell them that's why you were interested in the card.

I applied for the Chase BA and then 30 days later, for the Chase CO. I noticed that the CO card actually has a very good rental car insurance policy that's included when you pay for your rental with their card. Unlike my Amex Plat insurance benefit for which there is a fee, CO's coverage is free. When I activated the CO card, I mentioned that benefit.

This is little stuff, I know. But I know enough about these customer call centers to know that the reps are generally being asked to take notes during their telephone calls. Those notes may (depending on how sophisticated a company's IT system is) be available for review by other departments, including credit card approval and reconsideration. If your standard answer is "uh, the miles" and you do the FT standard: meet the spending requirement, put the credit card in the drawer, and cancel before the annual fee comes due, I guarantee you some of these companies are likely to reject your applications more frequently.
^^

This is fantastic advice!

I always make sure to say something like:
"I am getting ready to travel airline X and thought the Airline X card would be nice to have" or

"I want this card because there is no fee for using it overseas" or

"I want this card because I'm sick of BOA/CitiBank/Insert other bank here."

The miles should always be secondary, and I try to not sound too interested in wanting the miles

Oh, and do put some spending on the card besides the minimum spend. It might make it easier to get other Chase cards in the future.

Last edited by Million Mile Secrets; Jun 8, 2011 at 8:59 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:56 am

Been doing quite a bit of churning the last couple years. Have the CO card still. Applied online, no acceptance or denial. Just got the Sapphire in the mail. Pretty low CL though ($8700). Who cares ! Gimme my 50K. wj
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:01 am

does anyone know when the offer expires? i'm bidding time right now but want to know how long to wait before i pull the trigger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.