Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Southwest Credit Cards: non-instant approval time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I applied for a southwest credit card the other day and was given a response that they would contact me within 10 days to see if I had been approved or not. How long does this response usually take?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by tfender
I applied for a southwest credit card the other day and was given a response that they would contact me within 10 days to see if I had been approved or not. How long does this response usually take?
Welcome to FT! Usually this means you will get a rejection letter w/in 7-10 days. But not always. If you are rejected they will tell you why in the letter & you can call them and plead your case. Sometimes they will reverse their decision. It is possible that your card may just show up in the mail in 7-10 days too. Sit tight and wait for a response.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by philemer
Welcome to FT! Usually this means you will get a rejection letter w/in 7-10 days.
Not in my experience. I've never, not even once, even in the "old days" gotten an instant approval with Chase. I've always gotten the 7-10 day message, and 5 days later the account pops up in Chase online.

OP, if you have any existing accounts with Chase, you will know if you are approved when/if the account shows up after a few days. Good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:22 pm

call 888 245 0625 and they can review your app on the spot for approval. you can google the number to verify it's an actual number for chase
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Just a data point for you ...

My spouse applied for a Chase Southwest card (the old 1 roundtrip + $500 gift cards offer) in February. No instant approval. It took them 12 days to actually get around to their manual review and approval. The wait didn't stop there ... The new account didn't show up in the existing online account manager for another 11 days. Physical card showed up in the mail a few days later. That was one very long wait ... But it did end in success.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:54 am

I have been waiting since July 15 (20 days!)

The message said I would hear back within 30 days. None of this 7-10 day stuff.

Perhaps they are experiencing a larger volume of apps now than before. I signed up for the 50k bonus miles ($800 value) promotion.

I really need the application status so that I can continue to book flights. I have been trying to hold out on several bookings, hoping the price does not shoot up, but some deals I had to book with my regular credit card and sacrifice the 2x points.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:27 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by launcher
I have been waiting since July 15 (20 days!)

The message said I would hear back within 30 days. None of this 7-10 day stuff.

Perhaps they are experiencing a larger volume of apps now than before. I signed up for the 50k bonus miles ($800 value) promotion.

I really need the application status so that I can continue to book flights. I have been trying to hold out on several bookings, hoping the price does not shoot up, but some deals I had to book with my regular credit card and sacrifice the 2x points.
That stinks you are having to wait for so long. I'm assuming you have already called in to talk to a real person and check the status?

Either way, I would not hold out on the booking to get 2x miles. If you see fares that you want now, I would personally book them. It is highly unlikely that the value of the points you get will offset the potential fare increases you risk by waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.