Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:39 pm

family member was just instantly approved for a CSP. 5 cards in the last 24 months but one was an amex which appeared from credit reports to have been backdated relieved as unfortunately no one else in the family is eligible thanks for all those who contributed datapoints!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by wideman

I suspect that I'm near my limit with Chase. I opened 7 cards in 2014 (inc. 2 with Chase -- CSP and BA) and 5 more in 2015 (inc United business & Marriott). For the most recent acceptance (UA business), the approval took 10 days -- far longer than any card previously. (As background, I've got excellent FICOs, currently have 4 Chase cards, and tend to put a smattering of charges on each card most months.)
When you say 10 days do you mean you just checked the automated line or did you call into recon? I just applied for the United Business card myself and would love to get it approved but I opened 10 cards last year and i opened 4 this year prior to the United Biz application.... really hoping for an approval
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
How many days do you have to cancel a Chase Ink card before you can get reimbursed for annual fee?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RNE
The wiki should not include speculation. And if it does, it should be identified as such.
Everything is speculation. Except when someone posts "An agent told me X" and then, whether the agent knew the facts and told the truth is still speculation.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It was the case for years and years (yes, there used to be "2 on the same day" exception, but that was the only exception for years and years, and that exception went away some time back). The 7 days was mentioned in Citi denial letters.

Something seems to possibly have changed at Citi recently. Yours is not the only report of "accidental" success with shorter spacing, but there are not yet enough data points to be sure that everyone can get by with 1 day apart of whatever.
Clearly not everyone can get by with two applications one day apart; some people aren't in a position to get even one application approved.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
2 Citi cards in 2 days...highly unlikely. Only allowed 1 in a 7 day window
If you were in a position to know that for certain, you wouldn't be allowed to say so.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personal and Business cobranded cards

Me, instant approval on a Hyatt card with 5K line after X'ed a UA biz and a Marriott personal in early July releasing 12K line. So only 5K has returned after one month.
2015 app included a UA personal in June and 2 BofA AS in Feb. UA personal required a recon call but no question asked other than shifting CL.

Spouse, deferred on Marriott Biz with instruction to call and has an App ID. He has lower total CL with Chase than me, but never has a Chase biz card before. Prior to this all his Chase personal cards have been instant approvals in past 18 months. We will let the Marriott Biz play it out by itself without calling.
2015 app included Jan Citi HH and AA, Chase IHG. Mar Citi HHs, June Citi HH and Premier, Chase Hyatt and AMEX DL Biz - 9 new accounts in 2015 alone, all of them instant approvals.

EDIT
The Marriott Biz card shows up online today despite the instruction to call, with a ridiculous 27.5K CL. This is No.10 card for 2015.

Basically the cobranded cards are business as usual to this household which would definitely fail on the criteria of the UR cards. Now look forward to Nov when we would be eligible for another set of BAs.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 4, 2015 at 9:25 pm Reason: Add update
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Just wrapped up 5 sets of AOR over the past month, each one consisting of 5-6 cards, basically one from each bank. Each AOR was led with Chase as the first app due to the new stringent rules these last few months. The background for each person was about 25+ new accounts in the past 24 months, 12 in the last 12 months (2-3 Chase). 4 of the AOR's started with SW Premier which were either auto approved or pending and approved the following morning without calling in. 1 of the AOR was the IHG card which is still pending 2 weeks later. Conclude away.

Edit: For the AOR with the IHG, a previous IHG card was cancelled about 4 months ago and it still appears online, but as closed (last bonus more than 24 months ago). So I'm not sure if this is affecting an approval or the computer/agent thinking it's still open.

Last edited by frudd38; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:15 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:44 am

I've red in DOC blog that possibly new FICO v.9 possibly doesn't include closed accounts on AAoA calculation.. Is it possible chase has implemented these changes because it didn't like how FICO is calculated?

Is there any way (Has it been done before) to convert Chase non ink card (Say SW card) to CSP or Freedom?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:37 am

I'm wondering if anyone has been rejected due to the new 5/24 policy and then called reconsideration to get their application approved. Any data points on this?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I'm wondering if anyone has been rejected due to the new 5/24 policy and then called reconsideration to get their application approved. Any data points on this?
Plenty of re-rejection datapoints. I don't know think there's a single success datapoint for unambiguous violation of 5/24 (ie, not on the borderline of 5 depending on how you count, and not with AUs muddying it up) on a personal UR card.

It's not clear whether the 5/24 policy is exactly 5 or exactly 24. It's not clear, last I heard, whether it applies to business cards. It doesn't seem to yet apply to most (if any) partner (ie, non-UR) cards.

I also don't know if all people know whether it's the 5/24 policy alone and/or something else they're rejected for. Chase has a longer-running policy against people who are "only in it for the [signup] rewards", which involves mostly how people have used any Chase cards they've had in the past (not cards with other banks). To know whether you've been rejected for 5/24 alone, you have to have no just been spending on the minimum spend for signup bonuses on previous Chase cards and then putting them in the drawer until you cancel them. How many people apply for way more than 5 total cards in 24 months, and yet put some "everyday" spending on every Chase card they have? (Most active churners are too busy meeting minimum spend on some other card to come back and put some activity on every Chase card they hold, and so they end up susceptible to rejection under both the new 5/24 policy and the older "only in it for the [signup] rewards" policy.)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Just got approved for the Chase BA Card (personal). In the last 24 months I've opened 5-6 new cards and had far more inquiries since I bought a house earlier this year and some of the inquiries were related to that.

On top of that, they gave me a huge credit line, far above any other card I have been instantly approved for. Since one of the contentious items is whether they approve when one's open credit lines are in excess of their annual income... here's a datapoint: Let's if I maxed all my credit cards, I'll be in slightly over 100% of my income.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by civicmon
Just got approved for the Chase BA Card (personal). In the last 24 months I've opened 5-6 new cards and had far more inquiries since I bought a house earlier this year and some of the inquiries were related to that.

On top of that, they gave me a huge credit line, far above any other card I have been instantly approved for. Since one of the contentious items is whether they approve when one's open credit lines are in excess of their annual income... here's a datapoint: Let's if I maxed all my credit cards, I'll be in slightly over 100% of my income.
Thanks for the data point and congrats! 5-6 new cards is not much and the inquiries don't appear to be an issue with Chase at the moment (not trying to downplay anything but just being realistic!) How many of those cards were in the last 6 months?

100% of your income with Chase or across all cards regardless of banks? For example with Chase I have roughly 55% of my income in credit lines but I have more than 150% across all my credit lines.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thinking about getting the Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred. My Equifax is 805 and Transunion is 812. Just a few questions.

1) I only have one other credit card (Capital One Platinum from 3 years ago), some student loans, and I financed a car last month. I feel like I have enough credit history for the Freedom, but unsure about the Sapphire Preferred. Should I apply now or wait a little bit given my recent auto loan? If I should wait, how long would be enough?

2) Should I apply for both at the same time? It seems like you can maximize your UR when you use them in tandem. Or should I get the Freedom first, wait a few months, and then apply for the Sapphire Preferred?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pochama
Thinking about getting the Chase Freedom and Sapphire Preferred. My Equifax is 805 and Transunion is 812. Just a few questions.

1) I only have one other credit card (Capital One Platinum from 3 years ago), some student loans, and I financed a car last month. I feel like I have enough credit history for the Freedom, but unsure about the Sapphire Preferred. Should I apply now or wait a little bit given my recent auto loan? If I should wait, how long would be enough?

2) Should I apply for both at the same time? It seems like you can maximize your UR when you use them in tandem. Or should I get the Freedom first, wait a few months, and then apply for the Sapphire Preferred?
Given you have a credit card for 3 years, you probably have a decent credit history. Not stellar but nothing concerning. Your credit score is also great and if anything the car loan will only add to your history.

Personally I would apply for both cards at the same time. There haven't been many recent reports about applying for 2 Chase cards at the same time but given you only have 1 card and its 3 years old I don't see you having any problem. I would apply for the Sapphire first followed by the Freedom (same day of course) but that's just me and it could be switched if you prefer it. Basically apply for the card you want most first and then do the second application from there just incase they don't approve the 2nd one (since you will be starting a new relationship with them it may reject the 2nd application until you've established a 6-12 months history with them).

I would then proceed to open like 6 more cards on the same day with other banks but that's just me If you do that open Citi next because they can be sensitive to the number of inquiries followed by Barclay and Amex....But keep in mind if you get denied for your 2nd Chase card and you really want that card it may be worth holding off on other apps until you wait out 6-12 months and re-apply for that Chase card. You might get away with a few apps in the mean time with other banks (maybe 3ish?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.