Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Be careful with Chase

My wife had a similar situation with a Marriott application,which was denied based on too much credit available.

She called to ask if she could cancel a PC Visa in order to have the Marriott issued.Chase offered to leave it open and move some of the credit line to the Marriott card.
It looked like all was fine,until Chase pulled another hard inquiry for a new application,despite assurances that this would not happen.

The new card has arrived with the t&c's specifically stating the card must be open for 6 months or you risk forfeiting points and/or miles. I am not sure if they would really do it,but I think I recall someone here on FT that said they will.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeflyin
My wife had a similar situation with a Marriott application,which was denied based on too much credit available.

She called to ask if she could cancel a PC Visa in order to have the Marriott issued.Chase offered to leave it open and move some of the credit line to the Marriott card.
It looked like all was fine,until Chase pulled another hard inquiry for a new application,despite assurances that this would not happen.

The new card has arrived with the t&c's specifically stating the card must be open for 6 months or you risk forfeiting points and/or miles. I am not sure if they would really do it,but I think I recall someone here on FT that said they will.
They will.

Or you can volunteer to test it out if they have changed their practice.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
a year

They seem to be looking back for a year, not six months. I was on the phone with a Chase CSR yesterday. I had applied for a new CO card. I closed my old one about four years ago. The CSR noted that I had applied for 6 cards last year, 5 of them for Citibank. I said to her that I thought they only looked back to the beginning oif the year and was told "no, they look at the 'whole picture.'"
I ended up transferring some of my available credit from a UA card for a new CO card. The rep said I'd get the bonus miles. I'll believe it when they show up in my account.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy
They will.

Or you can volunteer to test it out if they have changed their practice.
Not volunteering.The intent is to keep the Marriott card,but the fact that Chase handled it as a second application when they specifically said that would not occur is disturbing.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:06 pm

Chase is too strict on my inquiries

Tried for the BA 100,000 in November and was rejected. Tried for the Sapphire recently and was rejected. I only have 2 current Chase cards - Cash PlusRewards cards which pay 5% cashback on groceries, pharmacy, gas, grandfathered in, as these are not offered anymore. They are over 3 years old with never any late payments. My credit score 740-750.

First CSR said rejected because "too many inquiries. and that over 4 is too many" 2nd CSR said "too many inquiries," but couldnt say how many was too many. I tried to explain to her, asking how can you know its "too many" if you cant specify the number of how many would make it "too many." There must be a threshold. She couldn't understand this point, just stating that they look at the total picture. I do have quite a few inquiries, but after being denied for the BA 100k and now the Sapphire, I am dismayed. So will I have to wait another 6 months or longer, apply again, only to be rejected again? Advice other than trying to find a sympathetic CSR?

Amex had no problem approving me this week after I was denied for the Chase.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:24 am
In memoriam

It is rather difficult to understand the policy behind Chase's (and other banks') credit decisions when that policy is fundamentally nutty--and not evenly applied. Keep this fundamental rule in mind when dealing with Chase et al.

I was turned down for the BA 100K deal last year, for no discernible reason. Recently, I got the UAL 50K invite, applied and got the card and the bonus miles.

Why the difference?

What mortal can tell?
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:53 pm

The Continental PP card is now listed on my online Chase roster of cards with the credit limit from one of my old credit cards. I can't tell if the two old cards have actually been "closed" or if they're still active with a $100 credit limit. Either way, it appears I managed to circumvent this arbitrary and arbitrarily applied 6 month limit between applications by making a phone call.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
The Continental PP card is now listed on my online Chase roster of cards with the credit limit from one of my old credit cards. I can't tell if the two old cards have actually been "closed" or if they're still active with a $100 credit limit. Either way, it appears I managed to circumvent this arbitrary and arbitrarily applied 6 month limit between applications by making a phone call.
You can call the number behind the card - the automatic phone system would tell you if the account is closed. At $100 credit limit, it most likely is closed.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Chase strikes!

After my recent round of apps last week with a rejection from Chase and Citi but approvals from AMEX and BoA, I noticed this morning that my chase credit line across the two active cards has been reduced to shockingly, almost insulting low levels. Will need to wait for the letter to arrive in the mail.

This is inspite of holding very healthy credit lines from other issuers. I think I am going to be done with Chase for a while (but they keep throwing tempting bonuses!). I was going to sign up with their banking services and give them a good business but this should be a reason to reconsider that.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:06 pm

You can call the number behind the card - the automatic phone system would tell you if the account is closed. At $100 credit limit, it most likely is closed.
Good call on the automatic phone system. Both accounts are indeed closed and both cards are now bound for the shredder.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeelele
After my recent round of apps last week with a rejection from Chase and Citi but approvals from AMEX and BoA, I noticed this morning that my chase credit line across the two active cards has been reduced to shockingly, almost insulting low levels. Will need to wait for the letter to arrive in the mail.

This is inspite of holding very healthy credit lines from other issuers. I think I am going to be done with Chase for a while (but they keep throwing tempting bonuses!). I was going to sign up with their banking services and give them a good business but this should be a reason to reconsider that.
Did you call Chase multiple times trying to have them reversed the denial? If so, this might cause them to take an active review on your accounts... After such scrutiny they may decide to reduce their exposure. Sometimes keep calling the issuer for reconsideration may backfire.

Or your Chase / Citi apps were done after the AMEX & BofA apps? Then they may not like what they saw on the credit report which showed you were actively seeking loans.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Did you call Chase multiple times trying to have them reversed the denial? If so, this might cause them to take an active review on your accounts... After such scrutiny they may decide to reduce their exposure. Sometimes keep calling the issuer for reconsideration may backfire.

Or your Chase / Citi apps were done after the AMEX & BofA apps? Then they may not like what they saw on the credit report which showed you were actively seeking loans.
I think the first one seems more likely as that was the first app that I made. Others were submitted after Chase.

Definitely its time for me to lie low for a while and clean up the inquiry history. May be, I should look into tricks to bump out the inquiries, which I have not needed to resort to so far as I used to do at the most 2 app-o-ramas per yer.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:05 pm

1st app this year: no change to other chase credit lines [new app approved]
2nd app: lines reduced on old chase lines (but not the new line from earlier in the year) [new app approved]
3rd app: Closed an existing dormant account [new app approved]
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if Chase has a policy on more than one credit card application from within the same household within a certain period of time?

Situation is this: My SO finally accepted an offer for a UA select Visa Signature, she's been getting these and the standard UA Visa offers in the mail for months. Applied online, and instant approval, and screen said she should recieve it within two weeks.

I was thinking of applying for the same card. I haven't gotten the mailed offers recently, though used to get lots in the past. I currently have a Chase Freedom, have had it for years. Haven't applied for a new card (with Chase or anyone) for about 3 years or so. On the thatsaplus.com website, I was getting the same offer as my SO got in the mail when I put in my MP number. Haven't missed a payment on any of my current cards.

So I was wondering if the fact that another member of my household would be a factor in whether they accepted my application. I'm only thinking this because my SO didn't get asked about her personal income, but household income only.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeelele
The lowering your credit line on active cards is likely tied to your application. Either they reconsidered and are actually granting your application (but it may take a week or two to get a letter that actually says that), or they denied your application late in the process after they had already adjusted existing credit lines to allow a higher credit line on the new card.

When I applied for the 100k BA earlier this year, it took them weeks to process it, and after a couple weeks my credit limit on both existing cards whent way down, and it turned out that this was because they had just approved the new card. But I didn't hear about the new card approval for a week or two after that, and the letters I got about the credit lowerings didn't explain that it was because of a new card application! (They just said something about "we noticed in your usage patterns that you don't seem to need as much credit as you had", bla, bla.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.