Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 7:26 pm

Applied for CSP and got the 7-10 days pending. Called in, guy put me on hold and said I'm denied due to "too many cards open in the past two years."

Asked him If there is anything I could to to change that decision, I have a good credit score (over 800 on the FAKOs and 833 on my Barclaycard FICO), always paid my bills to Chase on time, etc. He said there was nothing I could do.

The strange thing is that I haven't opened a card in over a year, and before that, I hadn't opened a card since October of 2013. I think I opened 3 cards in October of 2013 and 1 in August of 2013.

I have a three cards with Chase and was expecting to be asked to shift around some of that credit, but the guy didn't seem to have any interest in working with me...

Any advice?
Old May 19, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ucacm
Applied for CSP and got the 7-10 days pending. Called in, guy put me on hold and said I'm denied due to "too many cards open in the past two years."

Asked him If there is anything I could to to change that decision, I have a good credit score (over 800 on the FAKOs and 833 on my Barclaycard FICO), always paid my bills to Chase on time, etc. He said there was nothing I could do.

The strange thing is that I haven't opened a card in over a year, and before that, I hadn't opened a card since October of 2013. I think I opened 3 cards in October of 2013 and 1 in August of 2013.

I have a three cards with Chase and was expecting to be asked to shift around some of that credit, but the guy didn't seem to have any interest in working with me...

Any advice?
Quoth the Raven: HUCA
Old May 19, 2015, 9:12 am

Any advice?
Have you been putting any spend on those 3 Chase cards, or have they just been sitting in your sock drawer? I'm sort of hoping you haven't been using them at all, as an excuse for this insane behavior by the CSR. But with no recent apps, I'm guessing that's not the answer.

When you call in next, if they say the same thing, point out your app history, as you just did here, and ask them 'WTX'? Not in those terms, of course. It makes no sense because my DW and I just got approved for our second Chase UA card, which would be our 3rd Chase card in 6 months. Not to even mention Citi and B of A.

And since when do CSRs even mention 2 year history, anyway?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:07 am
RNE

Applied for CSP and got the 7-10 days pending. Called in, guy put me on hold and said I'm denied due to "too many cards open in the past two years." Any advice?
The "too many cards" denial can simply be a brushoff akin to the old "take two aspirins and call me in the morning." Your excellent credit score and history attest to this possibility. I suspect Chase suspects you are applying for the card just for the benefit—whether you are or aren't.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Another data point that Chase is likely tightening the bolt. Applied for 3 cards last night. Citi and Barclay instant approval. Called Chase this morning, guy said "gonna put you on hold for 3-5 min while I review". Knew it was trouble then - previous calls always worked in real time. Came back and said too many recent new accounts and too many cards with Chase. Asked about moving exiting CL, said not possible. HUCA'ed until I got a nice agent, same answer.

Now I do have 11 new accounts this year (not counting the mini AOR last night), which is more than I've ever had when applying for a Chase card. So it could be simply because of that. But the fact they did a 5 min review and other recent data points make it feel like they are putting more scrutiny to extending new products.

It also means be very selective in the recon agent you settle on. HUCA until you get a really good one. In my case the denial note is not gonna be easy to reverse.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
The "too many cards" denial can simply be a brushoff akin to the old "take two aspirins and call me in the morning." Your excellent credit score and history attest to this possibility. I suspect Chase suspects you are applying for the card just for the (bonus)—whether you are or aren't.
^ One for the Guinness Record Book, my ^ a post by RNE.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
Now I do have 11 new accounts this year (not counting the mini AOR last night), which is more than I've ever had when applying for a Chase card.
But we do have to count the AOR, since those apps were quite likely visible to the CSR. Whether as a HP if you did them before the Chase app, or a soft pull if you did them after the Chase app, but obviously before the Recon call.

So 13 new accounts "this year". Does that mean in the past 12 months, or literally this year, so since Jan 1st?

I'm curious how many were in the last 6 months, and last 3 months.

I'm not counting this as a data point that Chase is getting tighter on apps, since I had an app denied by Citi 12 months ago for a similar amount of new accounts. They would not let me move CL, or even close a card or two. They just said NO. I laid low for 3 months and started getting instant approvals again.

I should have been forwarned, because a few months prior to that, I had a very tough 20 minute Chase Recon call where I was grilled by a CSR about all of my new accounts. He was a nice guy, and I finally talked my way around that and got my app approved. But there clearly is a limit to how many new accounts Chase will tolerate and still approve another account.

I'd been getting everything approved, and was overconfident to the point of carelessness. When I got denied by Citi I wanted to say DYKWIA? Three months of no new apps, while FTers were constantly posting about getting more 50K mile EXEC cards, was quite a wake up call.

Now I'm being more selective on my apps, and only doing the ones I REALLY want, as opposed to everything I'd just like to have.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
But we do have to count the AOR, since those apps were quite likely visible to the CSR.
Not my experience. I've had past CSRs tell me the inquiries they see and never mentioned the current AOR ones. This CSR mentioned some of the old new accounts but not the ones from last night.

So 13 new accounts "this year". Does that mean in the past 12 months, or literally this year, so since Jan 1st?
The latter.

I'm not counting this as a data point that Chase is getting tighter on apps, since I had an app denied by Citi 12 months ago for a similar amount of new accounts.
But Citi is known to do that. Is Chase? This is my first Chase denial ever, after 10+ cards with them.

I should have been forwarned, because a few months prior to that, I had a very tough 20 minute Chase Recon call where I was grilled by a CSR about all of my new accounts. He was a nice guy, and I finally talked my way around that and got my app approved. But there clearly is a limit to how many new accounts Chase will tolerate and still approve another account.
Interesting.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
13 accounts (or 11, moot point) in less than 5 months and you are wondering why Chase would not approve you for a card? Prior experience is not that relevant since you have a history with Chase now and that could be a good or bad thing, so your circumstance has changed.

Citi is easiest, I would have done them last. Besides that, I would call about 3x or 4x before giving up. You need a reason for a callback since they see that you are just calling again in the logs, so come up with a new reason you need the card with every call.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
You need a reason for a callback since they see that you are just calling again in the logs, so come up with a new reason you need the card with every call.
With Barclays, yes, in fact a lot of people recommend to not even call Barclays even once. But does Chase put notes in your account every time you call?

Not something I heard before. I've seen lots of advice of HUCA with Chase, but nothing about new reasons to call. Usually just call again hoping to get a more receptive CSR.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:47 pm

Any advice?
As others have said, call again! DH has been approved for three Chase cards in less than 30 days. Hyatt- end of last month, Ritz and SW premier last week. I've only been able to get auto-approval for one card every 1-3 months.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Sep 4, 2015 at 9:54 am Reason: This thread now Archived. See Wiki for re-direct. No changes to this post were made

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.