Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jatink129
[Emphasis mine]
Yeah, I don't think that's true. Unfortunately.
I can say that this happened to me in the recent past
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by RFFlyer
I can say that this happened to me in the recent past
Nice.
Mind elaborating?
If you want, PM me.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of oneworld82 's failed application has been consolidated in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...12-months.html
Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Quick question:

How many business cards does chase allow you to have, or is this YMMV?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:30 pm

anyone got a link to chase Sapphire MasterCard?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
anyone got a link to chase Sapphire MasterCard?
Check creditcards.com
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:02 am

Data point:

Just graduated college with a full time engineering job. Have been an AU on parent's MC and my own BoA Visa for about 4 years. Applied for a CSP, US Air Premier, Capital One no-fee card in the past two months. CSP had an 8k credit limit. Applied for the UA MP since I have a lot of traveling on United for work and am trying to build status, and figured the 50k bonus miles was worth the endeavor (50 miles for every dollar of initial spend!)

Spent a long time on recon with a rep who just said I didn't have enough time lapse and way too many inquiries despite a credit score around 730. He denied me. Called back, got a firm lady that confirmed, but I asked to move CL off the CSP and she downgraded it to 5k and gave me 2k on the UA MP card. Better than nothing but an overall decrease.

I think my best best is now that I have the cards, wait until next year to build up some history. My monthly expenses are about 1k so not too detrimental on the CSP decrease but I do use that as my main card. The problem is my Capital One is 10k limit and I never use it because not as good as Ultimate Rewards and they won't decrease. Need it to start building up AAoA.

I also wanted a Freedom, but I guess the consensus would be to wait until next year?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:18 am

Question about Hyatt App

So, I wasn't planning to apply for any new cards until the end of May. I'm more of a casual churner but I do try to keep apps 3 months apart, nonetheless.

I applied for PRG at the end of Feb (when the creditcards.com deal was going on), and my husband also applied for PRG and Delta Gold Amex at that same time.

We currently have had our CSP for a year, and thats the only Chase card we've ever had. We're meeting my parents in Tokyo in August and I'd really love to not pay for a hotel. We'd be looking to stay at the Grand Hyatt which happens to have a higher rate than the Park Hyatt at the time we'd be there (around 500.00 a night - I feel pretty good about that redemption value), and its closer to the RC, which is where my parents are staying.

My husband's credit score is 715-720ish. He's not a US citizen so he's credit file is a little thin. My score is between 765-775, depending on the day. Despite our last app(s) being 2 months ago, does this seem like a reasonable idea? I had been holding out a bit for Chase Freedom in hopes that the signup bonus would go up, but that had been my next card that I planned to app for. But if we do this, it looks like we'll just hold out a little longer for that, which is fine, because we really have an immediate need for the Hyatt nights.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I got impatient and just applied lol. Ironically, my husband's card was approved instantly but I got the dreaded "we'll let you know" message. Looks like I'll be calling recon in a few hours when they open. First time I've ever had to call recon for an app. Not overly excited about it...

Last edited by RhubarbPie; Apr 28, 2013 at 3:53 am
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:17 am
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm Reason: dead
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
So, I wasn't planning to apply for any new cards until the end of May. I'm more of a casual churner but I do try to keep apps 3 months apart, nonetheless.

I applied for PRG at the end of Feb (when the creditcards.com deal was going on), and my husband also applied for PRG and Delta Gold Amex at that same time.

We currently have had our CSP for a year, and thats the only Chase card we've ever had. We're meeting my parents in Tokyo in August and I'd really love to not pay for a hotel. We'd be looking to stay at the Grand Hyatt which happens to have a higher rate than the Park Hyatt at the time we'd be there (around 500.00 a night - I feel pretty good about that redemption value), and its closer to the RC, which is where my parents are staying.

My husband's credit score is 715-720ish. He's not a US citizen so he's credit file is a little thin. My score is between 765-775, depending on the day. Despite our last app(s) being 2 months ago, does this seem like a reasonable idea? I had been holding out a bit for Chase Freedom in hopes that the signup bonus would go up, but that had been my next card that I planned to app for. But if we do this, it looks like we'll just hold out a little longer for that, which is fine, because we really have an immediate need for the Hyatt nights.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I got impatient and just applied lol. Ironically, my husband's card was approved instantly but I got the dreaded "we'll let you know" message. Looks like I'll be calling recon in a few hours when they open. First time I've ever had to call recon for an app. Not overly excited about it...
If you have a online account with Chase for your other card, if Hystt is approved it will show there
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by wcj
If you don't like to call, then don't. We just had our first non-instant approval. My husband is NOT a caller, so we just let it go in ( US Bank, Club Carlson card). He was notified in a couple of days that he was approved. I think if you are a casual churner, it's the easiest way. You can always call if you are declined. My attitude is my credit and income speak louder than I do on the phone so let the credit analyst use his/her time and not mine.
That's definitely a good attitude to have. I think if we didn't need the nights in Tokyo for this summer, I'd probably be more casual about it.

Anyways, I did end up calling. The CS rep said the app didn't get rejected - they just need information from me to confirm that it was actually me that applied (for security purposes). That same thing actually happened to my parents with this card. So maybe its not unusual. The department that needs to confirm my identity isn't open on Sunday, so I'll call tomorrow. Im really looking forward to our stay in Tokyo.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Just be careful- sometimes they decide that verification over the phone isn't enough, then they mail you a form that you have to fax or mail back so they can verify your SSN more thoroughly.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by jamar
Just be careful- sometimes they decide that verification over the phone isn't enough, then they mail you a form that you have to fax or mail back so they can verify your SSN more thoroughly.
Would they do that after telling you over the phone that they have everything they need? I can't imagine them telling you you were good to go, and then changing their minds. But as I said, this is my first non-instant decision, so I don't really have first hand experience (aside from my parents' apps, which were taken care of once their info was verified over the phone).
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:33 pm

Well I called today and answered the security questions and was approved with a 15K limit. Pretty happy about that, as I now have reasonable limits with Chase to move around should the need arise when apping for any other chase product in the future. I looked at total cost if we were to actually pay for our rooms in Japan and it came to 2300USD. I'm pretty dang excited to get them for free.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
Would they do that after telling you over the phone that they have everything they need? I can't imagine them telling you you were good to go, and then changing their minds. But as I said, this is my first non-instant decision, so I don't really have first hand experience (aside from my parents' apps, which were taken care of once their info was verified over the phone).
You made it out OK, but in my case I answered the security questions, then they told me that while the answers were correct they still needed to verify my SSN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.