Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by psychoandy

Unexpectedly, IHG got approved for 20k

I alluded to shifting limits but given that the 20k limit was for a card just approved, couldn't shift. called recon #2 and she could see the other apps and said nogo as well due to multiple apps and too much extended credit. I feel like the 20k limit on IHG totally nuked my chances to get the UA/Slate autoapproved, and my UA card still might not get approved.

My actual business with real 6 figure revenue only got a 10k credit limit with Ink Plus. Don't let the bloggers fool you, it's not as easy as the halcyon days of yore.
Another data point to that effect re Chase Bus cards.

I'm assuming you don't need $20K on the IHG, since it's a great card for the sign up bonus and the annual certificate, but a terrible card to put spend on. We just stayed at the Hong Kong Intercontinental with our certs. It's a beautiful hotel with an incredible view across the harbor from Kowloon to HG proper. It's also 45K points per night. That's $45K in normal spend per night, and still $22,500 in grocery store purchases.

So why not SM Chase to lower the CL on the IHG to a few thousand, then call Recon again once that's done, and see if they will approve another card with the now much lower total Chase CL?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Brugge
If you look at my post on this thread a few days back, there is a "rumor" that Chase is really tightening up on Bus apps. Don't know how true that is though.....
Mine really seemed to do with the number of cards opened the same day. The analyst tried to push it through multiple times. I have an existing biz card with 25k limit and he said even closing that wouldn't work and that it was showing because too many cards opened that day.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:24 pm

I'm new (but very well read) on the credit card bonus churning game.

First some background. In 2011 I applied an opened a United Mileage Plus Select with the 50k sign on bonus. Over the next few years I put my wife and I's vacation spending on the card (to kind of keep it separate). Last year we flew CLE->LAX and SFO->CLE open jaw and this year we are doing CLE-YVR and PDX -> CLE open jaw (already booked). Obviously for the summer vacation flights to be free, it's intoxicating. But I thought, well, I just blew all the points, we saved some big money, but it's over.

Then I found TPG blog, and One Mile at Time, and started my reading. The plan is to have wife open up a UMP Explorer (already approved and in the mail). Then for me a CSP. Then for her a CSP. To start all over again.

Anyway, to my question. I very stupidly changed my Select to an Explorer last month. Before I started the reading. Before I understood what I was doing. I'm like, hey we're going to Canada no Forex fees on the Explorer. I'm super smart. *Pats self on the back* Chase customer service on the phone was like, are you sure, the Select card isn't made anymore, this is non-revocable and you don't get the bonus. I'm like, whatever lady, no Forex fees. I'm gonna save $50. New Explorer card so pretty, though.

I OBVIOUSLY NOW KNOW I SHOULD HAVE JUST CANCELLED THE SELECT AND APPLIED FOR THE EXPLORER TO GET THE 30K BONUS.

How ****** am I? Can I just cancel the Explorer now? And re-apply for it later this year, or next, or when the 50k offer comes out? Or am I just screwed for the next 24 months because I dumbly changed it to Explorer. And if I should cancel.... should I cancel now? Or wait until after I have the CSP? What about if I call and ask about the bonus? And threaten to cancel unless I get it?

Thanks so much for any answers.

Last edited by awval999; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:14 pm
umc

Originally Posted by awval999
I'm new (but very well read) on the credit card bonus churning game.

First some background. In 2011 I applied an opened a United Mileage Plus Select with the 50k sign on bonus. Over the next few years I put my wife and I's vacation spending on the card (to kind of keep it separate). Last year we flew CLE->LAX and SFO->CLE open jaw and this year we are doing CLE-YVR and PDX -> CLE open jaw (already booked). Obviously for the summer vacation flights to be free, it's intoxicating. But I thought, well, I just blew all the points, we saved some big money, but it's over.

Then I found TPG blog, and One Mile at Time, and started my reading. The plan is to have wife open up a UMP Explorer (already approved and in the mail). Then for me a CSP. Then for her a CSP. To start all over again.

Anyway, to my question. I very stupidly changed my Select to an Explorer last month. Before I started the reading. Before I understood what I was doing. I'm like, hey we're going to Canada no Forex fees on the Explorer. I'm super smart. *Pats self on the back* Chase customer service on the phone was like, are you sure, the Select card isn't made anymore, this is non-revocable and you don't get the bonus. I'm like, whatever lady, no Forex fees. I'm gonna save $50. New Explorer card so pretty, though.

I OBVIOUSLY NOW KNOW I SHOULD HAVE JUST CANCELLED THE SELECT AND APPLIED FOR THE EXPLORER TO GET THE 30K BONUS.

How ****** am I? Can I just cancel the Explorer now? And re-apply for it later this year, or next, or when the 50k offer comes out? Or am I just screwed for the next 24 months because I dumbly changed it to Explorer. And if I should cancel.... should I cancel now? Or wait until after I have the CSP? What about if I call and ask about the bonus? And threaten to cancel unless I get it?

Thanks so much for any answers.
Since you did not receive a signup bonus for the Explorer card, you are still eligible for the signup bonus (55k or 35k). I don't think they will give you the bonus even if you call and threaten to cancel. If you cancel the card now and apply for it in a few months, you should be eligible for the signup bonus. Having the card without receiving the bonus does not make you become ineligible for the bonus, but it makes being approved for the same card a bit difficult. However, it can be done and has been done.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:42 am

I like instant approval vs. having to call in to get credit moved in order to get approved for the card. Therefore, I lower my limit to $5k on cards and this has worked well for me. I do leave 1 card with a higher limit just in case I need it for purchases or if I do need to call in.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
There has been an open question about when the 2 year limit for BA bonus points was to be considered over. I got my original sign up bonus over 2 years ago, but got a second bonus upon renewal less than 2 years ago. I quessed that only the first bonus would count towards the 2 year limit, so a few months ago I applied for another BA card. I waited 2 months to see if Chase would send me a letter saying my new card didn't qualify for a bonus, and when I didn't get a notice, I recently did the $2K min spnd.

Since my statement closed a week ago, I called Chase to find out what was up. The CSR said "the 52K miles have already been transferred to BA". Why don't I see them in my account? Supposedly because "the transfer process takes 6 to 8 weeks" to show up in the BA account.

So anyway, for those who have been wondering, this is an apparent first data point that the only bonus that counts for the 2 year re-app time frame is the sign up bonus, not the secondary spend and/or renewal additional bonus points.
Did you see the bonus on your Chase statement? If the bonus is indeed issued, it should be on your statement. How it gets to BA account is another matter but the first proof is, it is on your statement. So did you see it?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
My wife had a Sapphire card from 2011, closed via PM on 3/3/2015, applied for a new one a few hours later. Reject letter in mail noting open card received on 3/10/2015. Sent PM stating that open card was closed, and was closed at time of application. Approved today.

So the waiting period is between 3 hours and 1 week. Better, it is a denial that can be overcome without actually calling anyone!
Which card you used to send the PM for the denial letter? The x'ed CSP and told them you were applying a new one?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:51 pm

New to churning: I received both Southwest RR Plus & Premier about a month ago and have almost reached the Companion Pass. Planing on a trip to NYC this Summer and just applied for Hyatt card for my wife. Didn't get instant approval for it SO should I wait for a letter or call in? Am I moving too quickly and causing myself problems? Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:20 pm
umc

Originally Posted by Humester
New to churning: I received both Southwest RR Plus & Premier about a month ago and have almost reached the Companion Pass. Planing on a trip to NYC this Summer and just applied for Hyatt card for my wife. Didn't get instant approval for it SO should I wait for a letter or call in? Am I moving too quickly and causing myself problems? Thanks!
If you apply for the Hyatt card for yourself after receiving the 2 SW cards in one month, then you're probably moving too quickly. However, you said you applied for the Hyatt card for your wife, which almost has nothing to do with your other 2 SW cards. I don't see any problem here.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:14 am

Is this still the right number to close and allocate credit limit?
I am getting busy signal.
(888) 298-5623 – Credit Reallocation Office (Personal cards)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Did you see the bonus on your Chase statement? If the bonus is indeed issued, it should be on your statement. How it gets to BA account is another matter but the first proof is, it is on your statement. So did you see it?
Yes:

March 13, 2015

Total Avios transferred to Executive Club 52,496

Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Well IME it seems that Chase is either getting tighter, or maybe you can just randomly hit someone who is more hostile.

I recently applied for the IHG MC. Got the message asking me to call in ASAP to complete the process. Not a biggie, I think I know this drill. Called in, friendly CSR asked how much additional credit I was looking for. Not much, I replied, just $5K would be plenty. No problem, he says, can do. Done. Quick & easy.

Friday night, the wife did the same application (as part of a mini AOR with 2 other cards). She got the same screen. She has been sick this weekend, so almost 2 days passed before she felt up to calling. To her (and my) surprise,. the CSR was much more standoff-ish - not exactly hostile, but a much less friendly, less encouraging tone. He asked the usual ID verification questions, then started probing on income, why this card, etc. Put her on hold for along time. Came back and said she already had all the credit with Chase he could extend, and that to process her application, he would need to forward it to a "senior credit analyst" and that she would need to fax in proof of income - something neither of us have ever had to do before. She said she really didn't need any additional credit, she would be fine with moving some credit from one of her existing cards (she has multiple cards with CLs of $20K and up), she didn't need a lot on this card, could he simply move $5K from one of the other CLs? No. He wouldn't do that. Really? Yeah, he said he couldn't do that, she would need to provide income verification. He wants her W2.

So, long story short, now I'm not sure how much to push this. We have always reported our combined household income (we live in a community property state) - which we have reported accurately: hers + mine + proceeds from stock sales related to my job. The numbers do add up to our reported income, but the number on her W2 will not reflect that total.

OTOH, I'm doing our taxes right now, so I should have a fresh new form 1040 that shows the combined household income that matches what went onto the form. That will be a few days before its done. I'm inclined to let this just sit until then, rather than pushing it right now and having to explain the numbers.

Anyway, IME this is entirely new behavior from Chase. I'm hoping we just got somebody in a bad mood, rather than this being a new approach they are taking.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Benefits of United Club card other than Lounge access?

Besides lounge access and 1.5 points per $ spending, what are the other perks of having a Club card? How much would you pay in AF if you didn't care the club access or the 0.5 points extra mile per $ spent.

I have two Explorer card between me and my wife and debating of upgrading to one Club for myself. Do you get special treatment for reward spending or other benefits and what kind of $ value would one put to the club vs. Explorer decision making.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
The benefits of all the Chase UA cards can be found at www.united.com AFAIK there are no extra benefits for booking award tix over the Explorer card except the fee is waived for close in booking.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Well IME it seems that Chase is either getting tighter, or maybe you can just randomly hit someone who is more hostile.

I recently applied for the IHG MC. Got the message asking me to call in ASAP to complete the process. Not a biggie, I think I know this drill. Called in, friendly CSR asked how much additional credit I was looking for. Not much, I replied, just $5K would be plenty. No problem, he says, can do. Done. Quick & easy.

Friday night, the wife did the same application (as part of a mini AOR with 2 other cards). She got the same screen. She has been sick this weekend, so almost 2 days passed before she felt up to calling. To her (and my) surprise,. the CSR was much more standoff-ish - not exactly hostile, but a much less friendly, less encouraging tone. He asked the usual ID verification questions, then started probing on income, why this card, etc. Put her on hold for along time. Came back and said she already had all the credit with Chase he could extend, and that to process her application, he would need to forward it to a "senior credit analyst" and that she would need to fax in proof of income - something neither of us have ever had to do before. She said she really didn't need any additional credit, she would be fine with moving some credit from one of her existing cards (she has multiple cards with CLs of $20K and up), she didn't need a lot on this card, could he simply move $5K from one of the other CLs? No. He wouldn't do that. Really? Yeah, he said he couldn't do that, she would need to provide income verification. He wants her W2.

So, long story short, now I'm not sure how much to push this. We have always reported our combined household income (we live in a community property state) - which we have reported accurately: hers + mine + proceeds from stock sales related to my job. The numbers do add up to our reported income, but the number on her W2 will not reflect that total.

OTOH, I'm doing our taxes right now, so I should have a fresh new form 1040 that shows the combined household income that matches what went onto the form. That will be a few days before its done. I'm inclined to let this just sit until then, rather than pushing it right now and having to explain the numbers.

Anyway, IME this is entirely new behavior from Chase. I'm hoping we just got somebody in a bad mood, rather than this being a new approach they are taking.
If you read upthread you would find the discussion on why some of us choose to lower CLs instead of hoarding them (the very outdated play book from the financial crisis 6 years ago). Had your wife reduces those high CLs to a level that leaves much more head room in terms of the total exposure Chase is willing to give her, she would have instant approval versus recon calls. Your choice on which is more palatable. Read back and draw your own conclusion. It is not hard to find one's "magic number: - when you are not getting instant approval and each time must move CL, you know you are at the max. It is up to you to diligently manage your total lines if you want to play this game.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.