Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
I'm curious... Do you not worry about AAoA? For example, some of jgroll57's accounts could be 5 to 10 years old. Canceling them would not necessarily be a good thing, would it? Or am I misunderstanding how AAoA is computed?

Also, does Chase actively enforce a number of cards limit? I know they actively enforce total credit line (by means of having a Secondary Underwriting review requirement), but that's about it.

Thanks!
If you cancel the card it still counts towards AAoA, but for every month you move past the cancellation date, you lose that account's ability to add more age to your AAoA. So day 1 it does not matter but day 365 it matters somewhat. Overall, I would say that any bonus worth getting is worth stopping the AAoA clock for because just getting any new cc will drop your AAoA down since you have a brand new card that has 0 days on it.. and you are not likely to not get a new card, ever. I pretty much ignore AAoA. At 4 years currently with 770 EXP score.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by starbuk
Overall, I would say that any bonus worth getting is worth stopping the AAoA clock for...pretty much ignore AAoA. At 4 years currently with 770 EXP score.
Citi just started giving out EQ scores if you have some Citi ccs. My EQ is 814. So I don't even think about AoA. Some people who seem like they should know say that any card you cancel stays on your CB AoA for 10 years after you cancel it, just as if it was still open. So canceling won't lessen your AoA for 10 years.

But if you are worried, get some no AF cards, like AMEX HH, AMEX Everyday, and Citi HH, and keep those for free forever. Also, if you have any AMEX cards, AMEX codes most of your cards currently open with them as having been issued the day you got your first card from them, even if that specific card has been canceled. So my SPG issued last spring, and my AMEX HH, issued a few years ago, both say they were issued over 10 years ago. My only AMEX that says it was issued recently, I have no idea why, is my Everyday Preferred, which says 2014.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Citi just started giving out EQ scores if you have some Citi ccs. My EQ is 814. So I don't even think about AoA. Some people who seem like they should know say that any card you cancel stays on your CB AoA for 10 years after you cancel it, just as if it was still open. So canceling won't lessen your AoA for 10 years.

But if you are worried, get some no AF cards, like AMEX HH, AMEX Everyday, and Citi HH, and keep those for free forever. Also, if you have any AMEX cards, AMEX codes most of your cards currently open with them as having been issued the day you got your first card from them, even if that specific card has been canceled. So my SPG issued last spring, and my AMEX HH, issued a few years ago, both say they were issued over 10 years ago. My only AMEX that says it was issued recently, I have no idea why, is my Everyday Preferred, which says 2014.
You can send Amex a secure message, or call them, saying your member date is incorrect and give them the proper date from your other cards. They'll correct it for you.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Brewer20
You can send Amex a secure message, or call them, saying your member date is incorrect and give them the proper date from your other cards. They'll correct it for you.
I didn't know that. Thank You. ^
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Lotz
Just off a WN personal and biz 6 weeks ago and plotting the next. I love IHG and it's Platinum status but fear the WN Plus may disappear. Like to get the Hyatt, Marriott, United, CSP and Ink too.

I try to stick with 2 every 60 days but the biz cards interfere with that formula.

So many cards, so little time.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:27 am
RNE

So my wife absentmindedly put a $238 grocery store spend not on her Freedom card. That's a loss of 1190 UR points. My question: Would any jury convict me if...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by RNE
So my wife absentmindedly put a $238 grocery store spend not on her Freedom card. That's a loss of 1190 UR points.
Seriously?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:58 am

Easy enough to buy gift cards for your favorite grocery store in late march for whatever spend you have left. Unless you have another grocery specific card, maxing out the grocery category seems easy enough.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by oshelef
Easy enough to buy gift cards for your favorite grocery store in late march for whatever spend you have left. Unless you have another grocery specific card, maxing out the grocery category seems easy enough.
^ +1

I fully intend to max out the $1500 grocery category bonus for both my and DW's Freedom cards, along with the $6K Everyday Preferred grocery category bonus for me, for a total of 42K points=miles on "grocery" spend alone this year.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:27 pm

So this great thread and wiki but no wiki info on application timing rules? Does Chase have any limitations or can I apply for one of every kind of Chase card in a day?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by justinh20
So this great thread and wiki but no wiki info on application timing rules? Does Chase have any limitations or can I apply for one of every kind of Chase card in a day?
Most people I've read about, and myself included, haven't really encountered a true quantifiable limit like Citi has. In the end, I think we've all mostly been able to get new cards (multiple in one day, even) simply by allowing them to realloc CL's from other cards.

Citi, on the other hand, auto-cancels your application before processing it -- so no HP (it's not even a decline, in my experience) if you violate the 8/65 rule.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Most people I've read about, and myself included, haven't really encountered a true quantifiable limit like Citi has. In the end, I think we've all mostly been able to get new cards (multiple in one day, even) simply by allowing them to realloc CL's from other cards.

Citi, on the other hand, auto-cancels your application before processing it -- so no HP (it's not even a decline, in my experience) if you violate the 8/65 rule.
Interesting. Good to know, thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Just an FYI but a friend applied for Ink card and had to call in business recon. He got a real tough credit analyst on the line who went through his other Chase biz card and started saying that his business revenue was to low for all the expenses he put on there, and even went so far as to say he was buying cash equivalents at Target! Pretty crazy. He has been making several thousand dollar purchases at Target but I found it odd that the CSR said that explicitly.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Once you hit a min spend requirement, does anyone know how long it takes for the "Earnings on next statement" to update in the UR section?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Just an FYI but a friend applied for Ink card and had to call in business recon. He got a real tough credit analyst on the line who went through his other Chase biz card and started saying that his business revenue was to low for all the expenses he put on there, and even went so far as to say he was buying cash equivalents at Target! Pretty crazy. He has been making several thousand dollar purchases at Target but I found it odd that the CSR said that explicitly.
Sounds like a classic situation for HUCA. Not at the end of the call, but as soon as the "real tough credit analyst' part became clear. "Sorry, Fed Ex is at the door and needs a signature, I'll have to call you back".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.