Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by duranza
Applied for my 3rd Marriott 50k just yesterday, approved instantly.
I have a Chase savings account and have presently 2 other Chase cards and had up to 5 in 2012
Had received the bonus on my 2nd canceled card on 11/20/2012
Just got an email that I now have an e-certificate for a Cat. 1-4 hotel, good for 6 mos.
I wasn't expecting this since I did not get it on card #2.
Maybe they changed this benefit. Three years ago when I opened mine i got the points but I didn't get the certificate. I called and they said I had previously received one. I had completely forgotten I had a Marriott card a few years back.

Good to know.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:34 pm

I have about 55k open with chase. I called in today and they approved my Hyatt card - only by axing the spendning limits on a bunch of other cards - and even basically curbing my CC limit - unless I can provide I have over like...300k in income, or a quarter million in assets. Both of which I can't prove.

Anyone run into this problem before? It seems my glory days with Chase could be coming to an end.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by factory81
I have about 55k open with chase. I called in today and they approved my Hyatt card - only by axing the spendning limits on a bunch of other cards - and even basically curbing my CC limit - unless I can provide I have over like...300k in income, or a quarter million in assets. Both of which I can't prove.

Anyone run into this problem before? It seems my glory days with Chase could be coming to an end.
After my CL got high they pulled IDA and ARS on me and shut me down and tried to keep all my UR points. At AmEx they do a financial review on you. This is why, counter to conventional wisdom, I lower my my CL's to 5K each to stay under the radar. Also freeze those awful IDA and ARS reports asap.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Also freeze those awful IDA and ARS reports asap.
How, and what are the other implications of freezing them?

(Thanks, in advance!)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
How, and what are the other implications of freezing them?

(Thanks, in advance!)
google closing them. I haven't seen any benefit to keeping them open. US Bank uses them on new applicants and I got a US Bank card after freezing them. Many FT'ers got shot down for Club Carlsons from US Bank because of negative IDS/ARS reports.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:07 am

google closing them. I haven't seen any benefit to keeping them open. US Bank uses them on new applicants and I got a US Bank card after freezing them. Many FT'ers got shot down for Club Carlsons from US Bank because of negative IDS/ARS reports.
Found this: http://travelcodex.com/2013/06/freez...-club-carlson/

Will take care of it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip / heads up!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Hi! I currently have a basic chase / Ual business card that just gives 1 mile per dollar. Annual spend is probably 100K/year, mostly for merchandise (not gas/groceries/dining), on a wholesale basis. I don't think these qualify for the Ink card office supply category. My vendors only accept mc/visa.

What is a better card that can give more miles or points that transfer easily to ual or another us-based airline? The Chase Ual club gives 1.5/$1 but we rarely fly and are switching from ual to other airlines based on comparing paid F. I'm still racking ual miles to eventually use for a future vacation but I'm in no rush. So I'm not sure if chase ual is worth it since I wouldn't use the club.

Thanks
Michael
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
After my CL got high they pulled IDA and ARS on me and shut me down and tried to keep all my UR points. At AmEx they do a financial review on you. This is why, counter to conventional wisdom, I lower my my CL's to 5K each to stay under the radar.
As far as I'm concerned, the NEW "conventional wisdom" is to lower your CL's to avoid exactly this sort of thing. And an added benefit is you start to get automatic approvals again.

So if you aren't so lonely that you enjoy those phone calls to Recon , you may be able to avoid them entirely. Or at worst, call in only to have them ask for your cell #, or if $XXX is a high enough CL.

Having lowered most of my Plat and Sig cards to $2K or $3K immediately after making my minimum spend, and my World MCs to the $5K minimum, I am now getting CLs 3X as high as I used to get, along with auto approvals. Which of course means I then have to SM to lower those new CLs. But that's much better than calling Recon and sweating out an approval, sometimes even needing a supervisor to approve it even when the first CSR voted an approval.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:12 am

Found this: http://travelcodex.com/2013/06/freez...-club-carlson/

Will take care of it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip / heads up!
Thanks for finding that. Every single person should close these a.s.a.p.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
As far as I'm concerned, the NEW "conventional wisdom" is to lower your CL's to avoid exactly this sort of thing. And an added benefit is you start to get automatic approvals again.
I agree that we're starting to develop consensus around this here on FT, which is why I added a new section to the wiki a couple weeks ago. As indicated there, I do think it makes sense not to take every CL down to the bare minimum; IMO, it's smarter to keep an extra $5K-10K -- either on one card or spread across several -- available for reallocation. (Of course, some people have spending patterns/needs that may require keeping CLs at a higher level. As ever, YMMV.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:59 pm

To be honest, while I'd love to get auto-approved again, I've got too many cards with Chase to go low enough (some would get unusable if I did)... And with a sufficiently high score, credit history, history with Chase, and income levels, I don't mind the double manual review. It's a pain, and it slows things down, but eh, it's fine with me. (I also don't churn cards, so if you do, this probably becomes more of a problem.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I agree that we're starting to develop consensus around this here on FT, which is why I added a new section to the wiki a couple weeks ago. As indicated there, I do think it makes sense not to take every CL down to the bare minimum; IMO, it's smarter to keep an extra $5K-10K -- either on one card or spread across several -- available for reallocation. (Of course, some people have spending patterns/needs that may require keeping CLs at a higher level. As ever, YMMV.)
Oh, I still have one Chase card with $12K on it, just for emergencies. But only one, the rest have $2K or $3K on them. If I really need lots of CL, I can just combine all of my CLs from all of my cards.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:11 pm

I also don't churn cards, so if you do, this probably becomes more of a problem.
I don't understand, what does this sentence mean?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:03 pm

Does anyone have any experience with how strict Chase is with the 24-month rule and how they apply it? Unlike the AmEx and Citi FT topics, we don't seem to have much insight from experiences.

It seems the United card is very strict while the Marriott, personal and biz, is easier. Several people seem to have been able to churn the Shappire Preferred in less than 24 months.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by haterus
I was approved for a RR/SW Plus CC but it was not a signature CC (it is a SW Airlines Visa Plus Platinum CC) so I sent a secure message to find out if I would receive the sign-up bonus of 50,000 pts when I met the spending requirement. When I didn't receive a reply to my message I called the Internet Service Center and was told I would receive the bonus pts. Later that same day I received the reply from the secure message center informing me that I would not receive the bonus pts because I had received the bonus points for this same CC (it was a signature card) about 22 months ago. My question is--once I meet the spending requirement for my new Plus cc will this new CC already have been flagged so I won't receive the bonus points or do I still have a chance?
I'm in the same boat. Opened new Premiers 22 months after my prior ones' bonuses posted. I'm taking Chase at it's word of no bonus within 24 months of a prior one and waiting until 24 months are up to complete my spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.