Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
For the umpteenth time, allow me to remind everyone that there's no need to guess or worry. Simply contact Chase through the secure message center and ask for confirmation that if you apply for the offer, are approved and meet the spend, will you receive the bonus. Yes or no.
Just to clarify, you are saying to log into a current chase account and contact them through the secure message center? Or is there typically a way to do this from the application page?

I had a Chase UA card about 4 years ago. I get targeted offers all the time for the same card. I always thought I would be ineligible, but it does seem weird that they keep sending it to me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:12 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
Just to clarify, you are saying to log into a current chase account and contact them through the secure message center?
Yes.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
moderator, I believe I posted in error...apologies

Question re: Ink Plus, please.

I have the card for my business and my wife is an authorized user. she's also an officer/employee of the business. is it possible for her to apply for her own card under the business name?

thank you

Last edited by jacknyoc; Nov 25, 2014 at 7:49 pm Reason: wrong site
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jacknyoc
moderator, I believe I posted in error...apologies

Question re: Ink Plus, please.

I have the card for my business and my wife is an authorized user. she's also an officer/employee of the business. is it possible for her to apply for her own card under the business name?

thank you

That should be fine. You could always cancel her AU card, first, if you choose.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
I had a Chase UA card about 4 years ago. I get targeted offers all the time for the same card. I always thought I would be ineligible, but it does seem weird that they keep sending it to me.
Oh, you are eligible all right. Eligible for a very lame 30K United points.

I guess you haven't heard, the new Chase policy on most of their cards is that you can reapply, and get a sign up bonus, two years after you got your previous bonus. Not after when you applied, but after they gave you the bonus. So sure, you can apply for another UA card, but the fact that they keep pestering you to apply is an indication of how bad the sign up bonus is. No one seems to want one, and they have to shop it around. The only reason you might want that card is if you fly UA often, and don't have any elite status, it gets you one free checked bag.

If you haven't gotten a Sapphire sign up bonus in the last 2 years, why not get one of those instead? 40K UR points sign up bonus, plus add an AU and make a charge on that card, and get another 5K. Fee waived the first year, and double points on dining (which includes bars and breweries ) and travel expenses. Primary car insurance on rentals, and no foreign transaction fees. A very sweet deal indeed.

If you have one open, and it's been over 2 years since the bonus, just cancel it, wait a few weeks and reapply.

And yes, if you really want UA miles, you can transfer UR points to UA, and several other airline programs, as well as hotel points.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am

Data Points on Comments from Chase CSRs

I'm not sure if I can apply for another BA card yet. I got a 50K bonus in July 2012. But also a second bonus in July 2013 when I renewed the card.

I'd like to SM Chase and find out if I qualify for a new bonus now, or not until next July.

But I've read conflicting comments here about whether or not Chase will stand behind something Chase tells me in a SM. I know AMEX will not. They will just say "the CSR was wrong" ie you lose.

Anyone have actual data points on whether or not I can trust Chase to give me the correct answer. Or at least fulfill what they promised me if their response is incorrect?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 am

Got approved for SW personal Plus yesterday after calling recon, so I then applied for business Plus. I got pending review, so I called Chase recon. The rep said he will recommend my app for approval but it still needs someone higher to look at it for final approval due to high total CL. I got the Ink Plus 3 months ago with $20k CL. After said I'm awaiting final approval, I said if necessary, I can transfer some CL from Ink to SW. He said they will consider that. He seemed confident I'll get approved but it's not his final decision. I wish I would've asked if we could finalize the decision right then and there by moving over $10k CL from Ink to SW. Instead, I have to wait. He said if I'm in a rush, can call back 24-48 hrs. Is there any realistic chance I'll get rejected at this point after the rep said I'll most likely get the card in the mail in a week?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Got approved for SW personal Plus yesterday after calling recon, so I then applied for business Plus. I got pending review, so I called Chase recon. The rep said he will recommend my app for approval but it still needs someone higher to look at it for final approval due to high total CL. I got the Ink Plus 3 months ago with $20k CL. After said I'm awaiting final approval, I said if necessary, I can transfer some CL from Ink to SW. He said they will consider that. He seemed confident I'll get approved but it's not his final decision. I wish I would've asked if we could finalize the decision right then and there by moving over $10k CL from Ink to SW. Instead, I have to wait. He said if I'm in a rush, can call back 24-48 hrs. Is there any realistic chance I'll get rejected at this point after the rep said I'll most likely get the card in the mail in a week?
You will probably be approved. I went thru the same thing, the CSR said when your CL with Chase is $60K or more, it takes secondary approval from a manager. Whether or not you move some CL, since they always give you more CL even when you move some.

I highly recommend you start lowering your CLs with Chase. After I lowered my total Chase CL to $40K, I got an instant approval for my IHG card, instead of two people having to study my app.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
You will probably be approved. I went thru the same thing, the CSR said when your CL with Chase is $60K or more, it takes secondary approval from a manager. Whether or not you move some CL, since they always give you more CL even when you move some.

I highly recommend you start lowering your CLs with Chase. After I lowered my total Chase CL to $40K, I got an instant approval for my IHG card, instead of two people having to study my app.
I read somewhere that it's never a good idea to lower CL or cancel cards before an application, because the extra CL gives leverage to shift some credit without having to add more.

Anyway, I called 2 days after last call (as he told me to). The rep today was a little rude. He said it'll take 2 wks and he's not sure why the last rep told me to call so soon. I offered again to shift CL from my Ink. His recommendation was for me to just hang up and wait 2 weeks, but offered to re-review my application right now. With this, he said he would "most likely reject" my app, versus a best case scenario of escalating it to the 2nd reviewer and waiting 2 weeks. He said he didn't have the power to approve me on the spot. I just wished him happy holidays and hung up. I've never dealt with a CSR that rude before.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:02 pm
RNE

I read somewhere that it's never a good idea to lower CL or cancel cards before an application, because the extra CL gives leverage to shift some credit without having to add more.

Anyway, I called 2 days after last call (as he told me to). The rep today was a little rude. He said it'll take 2 wks and he's not sure why the last rep told me to call so soon. I offered again to shift CL from my Ink. His recommendation was for me to just hang up and wait 2 weeks, but offered to re-review my application right now. With this, he said he would "most likely reject" my app, versus a best case scenario of escalating it to the 2nd reviewer and waiting 2 weeks. He said he didn't have the power to approve me on the spot. I just wished him happy holidays and hung up. I've never dealt with a CSR that rude before.
And when you asked him why he'd "reject" your application, he told you what? You did ask, right?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
And when you asked him why he'd "reject" your application, he told you what? You did ask, right?
I didn't ask. He just seemed annoyed that I called in the first place, even though that's what the first CSR said to do. I wonder if working on BF had anything to do with it.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the OLD BOOK that started from 2008 and probably ended a year ago.

The NEW (or actually return to the PRE-2008 practice) is to LOWER your CL to manageable overall exposure that Chase system can pass you app without requiring a human approval.

We canceled Chase cards without hoarding credit lines since 12 months ago, and all subsequent apps were instant approvals without the need to call recon.

Brugge's post is the advice you should take on how to manage Chase cards. But if you prefer to call to shift your CL, versus getting instant approval, that is fine too. lol.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I will hold off as long as I can, LOL! I, too, had a traumatic experience with Chase recon, so I'm suffering from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder over it.
Got finally approved for BA, which is one of the two Chase cards I had applied for, on the fourth call! All in all, got approved for 5 cards out of 6, but it's never been that difficult.

Great Success

Wife got denied for both Chase cards, as well, and I dread asking her to call -- she hates calling. I'm a bit surprised by that, since she only has two Chase cards and she never lets me run amok with her apps, although her income is lower.

The most important lesson out of this, well, actually there are two or three, I think.

1. Probably shouldn't apply for more than 1 card at a time.
2. Lower your credit limit with Chase.
3. Treat them like new Barclays or US Bank, meaning apply first (although if you do have one or both of those in your AOR, that doesn't help).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:49 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by mnscout
Got finally approved for BA, which is one of the two Chase cards I had applied for, on the fourth call! All in all, got approved for 5 cards out of 6, but it's never been that difficult.

1. Probably shouldn't apply for more than 1 card at a time.
2. Lower your credit limit with Chase.
3. Treat them like new Barclays or US Bank, meaning apply first (although if you do have one or both of those in your AOR, that doesn't help).
I went and read your "success" article.... and I swear there is a friend of mine in that crazy picture you have. It looks just like I remember him from 20 years ago.

So if you are still doing app-o-ramas to the tune of 20 credit cards a year, well, whew! That is a lot of cards. I thought the banks are quietly but steadily killing the AOR in its finest form, one denial at a time. May I ask how many Chase cards open for both you and your wife (hers is still denied, no?).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
That is the OLD BOOK that started from 2008 and probably ended a year ago.

The NEW (or actually return to the PRE-2008 practice) is to LOWER your CL to manageable overall exposure that Chase system can pass you app without requiring a human approval.

We canceled Chase cards without hoarding credit lines since 12 months ago, and all subsequent apps were instant approvals without the need to call recon.

Brugge's post is the advice you should take on how to manage Chase cards. But if you prefer to call to shift your CL, versus getting instant approval, that is fine too. lol.
OK, so now my application is pending review. My Ink still has a CL of $20K and Sapphire also has $20K. Should I call to reduce CL of either of these cards in the meantime? Or am I stuck just waiting at this point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.