Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:35 am

sorry, posted to wrong thread!

Last edited by brownie20; Jul 5, 2013 at 10:57 am Reason: wrong thread
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by LM225
Does anyone know if Chase business pulls your CR when you apply, or when you call?

I applied for an Ink Plus today, along with an Amex and a Citi card. I got "Decision Pending" on the Ink, but when I called, found out that the business department is closed today for the holiday (stupid of me to forget). I'll call tomorrow, but will they see my other pulls from today, or only the report that was pulled when I originally applied?
there's 2 pulls for Chase Ink from the same credit bureau. i forgot which one but it triggered my credit karma (or credit sesame) alerts. the pulls are done when u apply.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Chase application trends - Will I be ok?

Hi,

I applied for a Chase United (Sep 12), BA Chase (Dec 12), Sapphire (Mar 13). Got approved for all three, with ~20k of total credit limit. I then applied (2 weeks after my Sapphire) for an Ink Bold card, and I got rejected. Calling a credit analyst didn't help, and he raised two concerns:

1. I obtained enough credit and my credit history with Chase wasn't long enough;
2. My business was "too new" (really???!)

Suggesting to move credit lines around didn't help either as he said my accounts were too new...

I will now wait 6 months from the denial date to reapply. At that point, I will have had 1+ year of on-time payments with Chase, and I would be ready to close my UA card if need be. Do you think I stand good odds to be approved? My credit score is >720.

thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:07 pm

Go for it
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Hi,

I applied for a Chase United (Sep 12), BA Chase (Dec 12), Sapphire (Mar 13). Got approved for all three, with ~20k of total credit limit. I then applied (2 weeks after my Sapphire) for an Ink Bold card, and I got rejected. Calling a credit analyst didn't help, and he raised two concerns:

1. I obtained enough credit and my credit history with Chase wasn't long enough;
2. My business was "too new" (really???!)

Suggesting to move credit lines around didn't help either as he said my accounts were too new...

I will now wait 6 months from the denial date to reapply. At that point, I will have had 1+ year of on-time payments with Chase, and I would be ready to close my UA card if need be. Do you think I stand good odds to be approved? My credit score is >720.

thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you. I got approved for Chase Southwest, Freedom & CSP within the last 6 months. Recently applied for Ink Plus but got rejected. They told me the same things i.e. you've obtained enough credit and business is too new. I had a score of 709. I guess waiting for 6 months is a good idea.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Let's hope for the best
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
I'm in the same boat as you. I got approved for Chase Southwest, Freedom & CSP within the last 6 months. Recently applied for Ink Plus but got rejected. They told me the same things i.e. you've obtained enough credit and business is too new. I had a score of 709. I guess waiting for 6 months is a good idea.
I also faced a lot of resistance with my Ink Plus application for having too many recent cards. My first JPMC credit cards were Freedom Visa, CSP Visa, and Palladium Visa, all opened right around March 2012 when I first opened my JPM Private Bank accounts. I added the Ink Bold in November 2012 then United MP Explorer around March 2013. Last month I downgraded my CSP Visa to a Freedom MC, waited a few days, then got instant approval on a CSP MC (hoping to get another sign-up bonus). I also applied for an Ink Plus later that same day and got the 2 weeks message.

I called into recon the next day and the CSR asked me several questions including why I had opened "6 credit cards within the last year;" I said it was actually 3 cards within the last year and 3 before that (she would repeat this 6 cards within 1 year line several times even after I corrected her), and explained how each one played a different role and that I was moving all my credit card spending to JPMC after opening my PB accounts. She put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying I was unfortunately declined for having "too many recent credit cards." I asked her to take away some credit from the other cards since I had $200k in total credit (not including my Ink Bold charge card), but she said it was the number of recent cards, not total credit exposure or anything else. I asked if there was a certain number of cards that is too much, but she dodged the question. I tried a few other things but she wouldn't budge, so I asked to speak to a senior analyst. She told me it wouldn't make a difference but transferred me anyway.

The 1st CSR summarized my situation with the 2nd CSR on the line with me, once again repeating her erroneous "6 cards within the past year" line. At this point, after nearly 30 minutes on the phone, I'm pretty pissed; I said this is the fifth time correcting her that it's 3 cards within the past year, and another 3 from several months before that. I've opened these cards for legitimate reasons, use them heavily and PIF, have X amount in JPM PB investment accounts and Y amount in my JPM PB checking and savings accounts, and if they didn't approve me for this measly business credit card I'd be happy to take my business elsewhere. I was then instantly approved by the 2nd CSR for $25k, who also apologized for the inconvenience and expedited shipment. It's stupid that it came down to that, but happy to have the Ink Plus with a 60k bonus.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Re moving credit lines within ALREADY EXISTING CREDIT to NEW cards - agent said that while business lines apply to overall credit extended to a customer by Chase, only personal lines can be reallocated to a new card - curious to hear if others have different information/analysis/experience, as it would lend toward making sure not to take too large business lines on the Ink cards...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
On my recon call to chase for my ink bold the agent took (reduced) CL from my Priority Club personal to "fund" the Ink.
Originally Posted by tdo-ca
Re moving credit lines within ALREADY EXISTING CREDIT to NEW cards - agent said that while business lines apply to overall credit extended to a customer by Chase, only personal lines can be reallocated to a new card - curious to hear if others have different information/analysis/experience, as it would lend toward making sure not to take too large business lines on the Ink cards...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by vodkashine
On my recon call to chase for my ink bold the agent took (reduced) CL from my Priority Club personal to "fund" the Ink.
I think what the rep was saying was that you cannot use credit from a business card to reallocate to another card. Your experience is different.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by tdo-ca
I'm not sure, but as a general rule you should probably move as little as possible from your personal cards to business ones since that'll hurt the utilization ratio on your personal credit report.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:53 pm

FWIW, decided to do a little churn today as my mortgage was funded a few weeks ago but the loan itself has not shown up on my credit report yet.

Already have the Freedom (07), Sapphire (12), BA Visa (12), Ink Bold (12). Applied for both the Hyatt and IHG cards. Hyatt instantly approved with a $23k credit line (currently have $17k credit between three personal cards + whatever the Bold offers) and told decision pending on IHG.

Called about 2 hours after application, lady asked why I was calling as the IHG was approved on its own about 20 minutes after the application. She said they needed to look and see whether or not I had opened another Chase card within the past 30 days, and that going forward I should be sure to not apply for more than 2 (with Chase) per month.

Also approved for a Citi card at the same time.

Creditkarma score of 700. No new cards within the past 6 months but a lot of inquiries (30% of them due to mortgage shopping) within the past year...15 I think.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reason: removed profanity
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Apologies for the profanity. Should have described it as a "plethora of inquiries."

Checked my chase acct today and they gave me an additional $10,100 for the IHG card. Not sure what the additional $100 is for but Ill take $33,100 of new credit from Chase in a single day.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
After 20 days of waiting. I finally call them today. Got a rejected answer with reason "your business relation with us is fairly new".

Should I call the reconsideration line? What reason should I use?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Do you have a long personal credit card history with Chase?

Originally Posted by zig2
After 20 days of waiting. I finally call them today. Got a rejected answer with reason "your business relation with us is fairly new".

Should I call the reconsideration line? What reason should I use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.