Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
How many Chase cards do you have, how old are they, and how much usage have you put on them?

This is either something all new, or just Chase seeing you not using the cards they already gave you.
5 Chase, varying age, youngest is 18 months old. Usage on most is fairly frequent. They did say it was any new cards, not just new Chase cards.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:39 pm

Well, if Chase Really implements a policy that says 5 HP in two years means no new cards, that would be really crimping a lot of people's activities. Let see if anyone else reports this.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:20 pm

Just applied for CSP and approved. Card on the way.

Want to get the Ink plus and the Freedom as well. Do not have any other chase cards. Good credit score.

1. Is that too many too soon?
2. For the Ink Plus, does a new biz qualify? Have single prop LLC, but no tax returns filed. Essentially, chase has no way of knowing the income so it can be $1 or 10 or 100,000.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:29 am

Apologies for cross-posting, but I just applied for the card through this link:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/50k50AFWIC/allbenefits and was instantly approved.

My most recent Chase United Plus Explorer card was approved in October 2013, so less than 24 months ago. Any opinions on whether I'll get the 50K points with this recent approval? I'm obviously reluctant to go for the (admittedly low) $2000 spend in 3 months if I won't get the points in the end and I'm nervous to send them a SM in case it alerts them to my situation.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Laura782
Apologies for cross-posting, but I just applied for the card through this link:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/50k50AFWIC/allbenefits and was instantly approved.

My most recent Chase United Plus Explorer card was approved in October 2013, so less than 24 months ago. Any opinions on whether I'll get the 50K points with this recent approval? I'm obviously reluctant to go for the (admittedly low) $2000 spend in 3 months if I won't get the points in the end and I'm nervous to send them a SM in case it alerts them to my situation.
Chase will send you snail mail in a couple of months To inform you that you would not be eligible.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
Chase will send you snail mail in a couple of months To inform you that you would not be eligible.
Bummer. But thanks!
Old May 16, 2015, 10:09 am
RNE

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Every single app I had to call in and move credit around for approval. I finally whacked $42K off. Low and behold...Instant approval today with $35K CL. Probably going to have to trim that a bit now, too.
But you were always approved (after a call). Good for you. And good evidence that lowering credit limits isn't necessary for approval. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by mulliganman30
My spouse applied for the Sapphire got a pending review. Called two different reconsideration lines in the wiki and was told too many applications within 2 years and not just counting Chase cards. She said 4 in not even 2 years. is this pretty common? Both calls on the reconsideration lines said the same thing even after I reduced the credit line on two cards by a total of about $12,000.
More evidence of the inefficacy of credit limit lowering. Thanks for your input.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:10 am

Recently applied for Southwest Biz and United Biz on the same day. Approved for Southwest, but just got denail letter for United.

Should I recon? And any chance they will hard pull again to review?
Old May 16, 2015, 10:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by sibu
Same just happened to me. Called up and they said that I had opened too many new credit cards in the last two years - they said 5 or more in the last 2 years is too many.
Sorry to hear that. But at least you tried, which is good.

As for Chase's too-many-apps rejection, unfortunately I don't think that is triggered by a specific number of applications in a certain number of months. Instead, I think it depends on the individual applicant's financial landscape. Case in point: I have had about 8 applications (all successful; not all but most were with Chase) in the last 24 months, yet I was just approved by Chase for an IHG card. Of course, I don't alienate Chase by manipulating my credit limits.

Originally Posted by Travel22
Applied and got pending. Called recon. Went through a fairly extensive Q&A with no issues. Rep said they need another 1-2 days for a senior rep to look at my application. Haven't had this happen before. Do I have any chance of this getting approved?
Yes, you have a chance, but we could offer better advice if we had an inkling about what Chase was getting at during their questioning. Anyway, remember that "pending" isn't a rejection. I get that more than not, and always get approval.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
But you were always approved (after a call). Good for you. And good evidence that lowering credit limits isn't necessary for approval. Thanks for your input.

More evidence of the inefficacy of credit limit lowering. Thanks for your input.
These comment of "more evidence" are in direct contradiction of the OPs.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by RNE

Unless you are like RNE, and *like* calling in and wasting precious time out of your life (so far no luck for me applying for the 5% Time back cc), the vast majority of people would rather have instant approval.

RNE, unless you are being deliberately obtuse or argumentative, no one can seriously take your position with merit.

The debate is not *WHETHER* you get approved and it has never been about that. It is can you be approved instantly with the computer app, or do you have to call in and talk to someone and then be approved.

There will be people who will be:

*denied instantly
*pending - but then denied
*pending - then approved
*instantly approved.

Lowering your CL doesn't some how make your bankruptcy 6 months ago disappear and make you a better candidate. It makes auto approval easier.

Lowering your CL increases the chance of moving from the *pending - then approved* category to the *instantly approved* category. Again, not about *whether* you are approved, but whether it is instant or not.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Laura782
Bummer. But thanks!
I'm curious to know why you applied in the first place given that you didn't satisfy the 24-month rule.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:24 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Unless you...like calling in and wasting precious time out of your life...
"Precious"? I like your repartee but your criticism of my efficiency is risible. Calling or secure messaging Chase to tinker with credit limits is the real waste of "precious" time.

Old May 17, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Unless you are like RNE, and *like* calling in and wasting precious time out of your life (so far no luck for me applying for the 5% Time back cc), the vast majority of people would rather have instant approval.
Do you have an app link for that?

RNE, unless you are being deliberately obtuse or argumentative, no one can seriously take your position with merit.
C'mon Carl, this is RNE you are talking about. This can't be a serious question.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by beltway
I'm curious to know why you applied in the first place given that you didn't satisfy the 24-month rule.
Wishful thinking, in the off chance that it wasn't firmly enforced. I have had luck with other cards in the past, but given the consensus here that Chase will not overlook my history it seems like it was pointless to try. But the hit to my credit score for one hard pull is minimal and temporary, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.