Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Not if you want the 50K offer. That expires today.

If you are sure the 2 years + 1 month date was for the BONUS, and not just the app, I think you should go for it. The alternative is to wait for another god-only-knows-how-long for this offer to come back. I know I've been waiting for something like 6 months since I became eligible for another bonus.

On the other hand I did hear a rumor that this offer is often available somehow, in branch maybe? Anyone know about that?
This link shows a 2 Jun date for applying fot the United MileagePlus card.

https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kA...2FChase+United
Old May 3, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JATR4
This link shows a 2 Jun date for applying fot the United MileagePlus card.

https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kA...2FChase+United

Did I mis-remember, or did they extend the date?

Anyway, I'll "see" your June 2 app link, and raise you a link with a $50 statement credit.

Log into your UA account, and do a search for a flight. An app link for 50K + 5K + a $50 statement credit will appear. You do have to do the flight search, though, or else it shows a link w/out the credit.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Thumbs up Yes, Everyone Should Be Going for the Offer w/ $50 Statement Credit

Originally Posted by Brugge
Did I mis-remember, or did they extend the date?

Anyway, I'll "see" your June 2 app link, and raise you a link with a $50 statement credit.

Log into your UA account, and do a search for a flight. An app link for 50K + 5K + a $50 statement credit will appear. You do have to do the flight search, though, or else it shows a link w/out the credit.
I think you mis-remembered as United just reintroduced the 50k mile offer after it being at 30k miles for months.

I'm glad to see you mentioned the $50 credit. I made a post about it a few days ago. At first I was able to create a direct link but United's web gurus tweaked something and now if the link is coming from a non-United site it defaults back to the no-statement-credit offer.

Like you wrote though it's easy as pie to generate the better offer manually.

BTW though you do not need to be logged into your UA account.

For anyone that needs/wants graphics for this simple approach, you can check out the post I wrote up: http://thehoneymoonguy.com/50k-unite...explorer-card/
Old May 3, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
I was able to get the 55K offer plus the $50 statement credit and with a secure message was able to get the 2 club passes too.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:24 pm

Shot down after calling recon for the United card because of getting the Hyatt almost a month ago and too many inquiries. Should I call again?
Old May 6, 2015, 11:06 am
RNE

Originally Posted by diseased
Shot down after calling recon for the United card because of getting the Hyatt almost a month ago and too many inquiries. Should I call again?
No. Wait 3 months then apply again. And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't apply with Chase for anything else in the meantime.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
No. Wait 3 months then apply again. And at the risk of stating the obvious, don't apply with Chase for anything else in the meantime.
In 3 months the 50K mile offer will be expired. The general rule is to call at least 3 times. It is a toll free call after all, and unlike Barclays, the Chase Recon CSRs don't make notes in your file and get upset when you call again. Many a person here has had to call several times until they got a sympathetic CSR to approve them. No guarantee of success with more calls, but a surefire failure if you don't call anymore.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Looking for some insight into Chase business card approvals.

Recently applied for the Chase Southwest Business Premier. Got a message a week later requesting I call to give them more information, but was told when I called that the application had been denied due to too little business revenue (it's a sole proprietorship; put $4,000 on the app, since that's what the business made last year; though I expect this year to be around $12,000 or more) and not enough history with business credit bureaus.

When I called recon the agent didn't seem at all interested in projected or year-to-date revenue for 2015. Instead, they just focused on the fact that I already had two business credit cards with "very low" credit limits (a Citi card with $5700 CL opened 1 year ago and an Amex with $3000 CL opened 6 months ago) and stated that these low limits indicated that my business was not growing or well established (business itself is 10 years old, but not card older than 1 year) and therefore Chase could not offer me a business credit card.

So here are my questions:

1) Is it worth pursuing this application any further? Why would they call me to request more info and then immediately deny me based primarily on business credit history?

2) Is it worth pursuing Chase business apps in the future, given the parameters of my business? Was turned down for the same Chase business card about 12 months ago as well. No point in burning HPs with Chase if they're never going to want to give me a business card.

3) Was planning to cancel my year-old Citi business card this month due to AF coming up. For future Chase apps, is there any benefit to converting it to a fee-free (CitiBusiness ThankYou) card rather than just closing it?

4) Would it be risky to apply for a Chase personal card at this point?

Currently have 2 personal hard pulls in past 6 months and another 2 business, 1 personal in the past 12 months. Credit score approximately 730. Also have personal Chase Southwest card (2.5 years old) and personal Chase United card (1 year old).

Last edited by shutter41; May 6, 2015 at 3:29 pm Reason: Adding business details
Old May 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA UA
I have a wild guess why so many people with excellent credit did not get instant approval on Chase application lately.

If my memory serves me right, a few years back similar things happened to me. After a new Chase card application, waited for seemingly forever to receive the new card. Immediately after, scammers defrauded my 10yr old Chase card, twice. My online Chase account was hacked half a dozen times. There was little monetary loss since they were caught early each time. My guess at that time was that Chase was aware of increasing fraudulent activities across the board, and implemented tougher approval process to combat the scammers.

Recently I also applied for a Chase card and waited a long time for the approval email and card. I hate to boast. But my FICO was over 850 (on a scale of 900) at the time. So I guessed it was nothing personal. I suspected this time was also due to rising fraudulent activities. So bear with Chase, and keep a close eye on your card activities and mail thieves (in case you're waiting for your new card).
Old May 6, 2015, 4:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
My guess at that time was that Chase was aware of increasing fraudulent activities across the board, and implemented tougher approval process to combat the scammers.
N, O, spells no. This supposition is so far-afield I am at a loss for words—which doesn't happen often.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:09 am

Recon question

I was denied for a card 2 weeks ago. the main reason was too many new accounts in the past 12 months. I just noticed that 3 of my accounts were opened in April 2014 and show up that way on the credit report. If I call up recon now and ask them revisit the application, would those cards drop off of their 12-month look back? Or would they need to pull a new credit report for that to take effect?

mainly I don't want them to do another pull.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
I have a wild guess why so many people with excellent credit did not get instant approval on Chase application lately.

If my memory serves me right, a few years back similar things happened to me. After a new Chase card application, waited for seemingly forever to receive the new card. Immediately after, scammers defrauded my 10yr old Chase card, twice. My online Chase account was hacked half a dozen times. There was little monetary loss since they were caught early each time. My guess at that time was that Chase was aware of increasing fraudulent activities across the board, and implemented tougher approval process to combat the scammers.

Recently I also applied for a Chase card and waited a long time for the approval email and card. I hate to boast. But my FICO was over 850 (on a scale of 900) at the time. So I guessed it was nothing personal. I suspected this time was also due to rising fraudulent activities. So bear with Chase, and keep a close eye on your card activities and mail thieves (in case you're waiting for your new card).
Well any post that makes RNE at a loss for words out to get an award.

A couple of things come to mind. One is that I've been reading that Chase has been making it far harder to get Bus cards approved for the past 6 months or so.

The second is my personal experience that they are indeed worried about scammers and identity theft re: new apps. DW and I just applied for our second (more than 2 years after the bonus) United card with the 50K offer. Surprisingly, this time neither of us were instantly approved. We weren't even given app ID #s, just a we'll let you know in 10 days. Of course, we called Recon right away. They didn't even ask us anything, they just immediately transferred us to the "Verification Department". We had to answer various questions to prove we are who we said we are. Mainly the due date, balance due, etc on a Chase card of ours that they chose. After that the approval was done by the VD CSR, and we both got @18K CLs. So the hang up on the approval was obviously not our credit standing, but the question of our actual identity. Which is just really weird, since we both have several Chase cards open, and have had others in the past, using the same address and phone #s we used for the new apps. Chase just seems really paranoid at the moment.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by hokiegl
I was denied for a card 2 weeks ago. the main reason was too many new accounts in the past 12 months. I just noticed that 3 of my accounts were opened in April 2014 and show up that way on the credit report. If I call up recon now and ask them revisit the application, would those cards drop off of their 12-month look back? Or would they need to pull a new credit report for that to take effect?

mainly I don't want them to do another pull.
AFAIK, they would have to do some sort of a pull. But maybe not a Hard Pull, which is the only kind that matters.

Call Recon and ask if they can reopen the apps with just a "Soft" pull. Since it hasn't been that long, maybe they can. It can't hurt to ask.....
Old May 7, 2015, 11:41 am

UA Explorer card bonus - still have other Chase UA cards?

Hi. I have a couple of older Chase United card accounts - they were carrying balance transfers locked in at 2% for many years until I paid them off this week. These are not Explorer cards. I'm wondering if I will get the bonus if I am approved for the Explorer card? I don't particularly want to move the credit to another Chase card and close the older accts right now because of their age unless I need to to get the 50k from the Explorer card...
Old May 7, 2015, 12:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Zhaunk
Hi. I have a couple of older Chase United card accounts - they were carrying balance transfers locked in at 2% for many years until I paid them off this week. These are not Explorer cards. I'm wondering if I will get the bonus if I am approved for the Explorer card? I don't particularly want to move the credit to another Chase card and close the older accts right now because of their age unless I need to to get the 50k from the Explorer card...
If you've never had an Explorer Card you should be eligible for the bonus. The other cards won't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.