Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highops
Yes. This happened with my Marriott card, too. I got a letter explaining what happened a few days later.
That is nice. Definitely better than having to call recon, except that many of us would receive a denial letter first if we do not call recon before the denial is issued.

How long did it take for this to happen, i.e. you saw the newly applied card popped up online?

Wonder what factors would be in play to get the auto-reallocation credit lines treatment versus the denial / recon treatment.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy
That is nice. Definitely better than having to call recon, except that many of us would receive a denial letter first if we do not call recon before the denial is issued.

How long did it take for this to happen, i.e. you saw the newly applied card popped up online?

Wonder what factors would be in play to get the auto-reallocation credit lines treatment versus the denial / recon treatment.
I was at Holiday Inn's website booking a room for real when I saw an ad for 60,000 points and a $50 credit. (I know the 80,000 is better, but I thought that was dead because of the change to Mastercard.) I decided to go for it even though I have a ridiculous number of recent hard inquiries and I know Chase has me maxed out on what they are willing to offer as a credit line.

A message popped up telling me to call some number because they wanted to make sure they were serving my needs or something like that. I ignored it because although I eventually wanted the IHG card for the $49 fee= free night I didn't really care if I was rejected right then.

About 10 days later the card appeared in my online profile. I expect I'll get the letter about the credit limit change and the card itself sometime next week.

I did do a real recon call about a year ago and moved some credit line to get the Club Card. I don't know if that resulted in something being flagged so that they do this automatically now. It works for me though.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Post 1334 was where I first mentioned that Chase has reconsideration discussions with itself about me BTW.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Wrong reward number on credit card application?

Hi,

I applied for a Ritz-Carlton Rewards VISA card, and after getting approved I found out I entered the wrong number on the application... If I call Chase to amend it, would they be able to switch it? I hope this will not be a pain!

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
One Chase credit application every 91 days. First time credit applicant with Chase? Must have great credit (750+ & no prior discharge account with Chase), you may apply for 3 cards at once. YMMV!
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Very possible but you have to have a nice clean/thick profile with low inquiries. If no instant approval then just recon.
Thanks!...so that means if I get one instant approval, I can open another browser and try the other right?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus 1K/UA Club; Starwood Platinum; Marriott Platinum (lifetime); Avis Presidents Club
Wrong reward number on credit card application?

Shouldn't be a problem. Things like this probably take some time to process though so someone may get your points while you wait!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Data point: called the CSR line, and told me that they are still building the account; I will have to call back once I receive the card, and they will be able to switch my account number to the correct one. Lady said change will be instant.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:40 pm

what to do with Marriott Premier card

last year i applied and got the points for the Marriott card and AF is up.
i know the anniversary comes with a free room which is good i guess but i was planning to move the credit and close the card as i don't use the card at all.

i want to sign up for teh chase club card with united but maybe later on as i just did a 3 card AOR and don't want to sign up for more cards.

Should i just call chase and ask to move the credit and close the card? do people keep the premier card for the free night? its 85 dollars so i guess i could break even i just don't wana pay the AF atm and i don't see me use the card.
i have the IHG card, Ink, Sapphire, Hyatt, freedom and the Marriott pref at this time.

thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Seems to me that if you will use the free night, then you should keep the card. If you won't use the free night, then cancel the card.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
Seems to me that if you will use the free night, then you should keep the card. If you won't use the free night, then cancel the card.
*If you will use the free night AND derive over $85 of value from said night, keep it. If not move credit and cancel.
I would diversify your portfolio and maybe get the United card or Sapphire Preferred.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by italdesign
Guys, I have 7 pulls on TU and 10 on EX in the last 6 mo, mostly in last 3. Those are the bureaus Chase pulls in my area. Last Chase app was in Nov. What are the odds Chase will approve 2 new cards now? 1 card? Anyone with this many inquiries still get approved recently?
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I've seen people get approved for Chase with that many HPs before however, you must have good scores, decent AAoA, and a low overall UTIL for them to approve you, and most likely on recon.

Chase also pulls TU and EX for me (both pulls per app!).
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks! I'll post result if I pull the trigger. Mostly just want the AirTran card before it disappears forever, and multiple apps on same day get merged into one, so might as well apply for two.
Update: I applied a month later, ~4 mo after my last Chase app. Two cards back to back. Instant approval for card #1, recon approval for #2. By now # of inquiries had reduced to 3 on TU, 8 on EQ. 8 new accounts in last 6 mo.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Turned down for CSP due to low income

My daughter applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred and was turned down due to low income - $14k/year, despite Experian credit score of 820+.

Is it worth calling recon and asking if co-signing by me will reverse the decision?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by binnycode
*If you will use the free night AND derive over $85 of value from said night, keep it. If not move credit and cancel.
I would diversify your portfolio and maybe get the United card or Sapphire Preferred.
you guys are right, i ma still thinking of pre-funding a night with Marriott...but don't have any plans yet 100%.

as far as diversifying my portfolio- i just downgraded my sapphire Pref to no fee sapphire and i also had the united card that i canceled a year ago. I may get the club card if i can get a no fee for the first year but later in a few months ..so its looking i may just transfer credit and cancel. I am trying to keep the cards that i am actually going to use in my strategy long term. i only used Marriott card to get the 80k points out of pretty much that it so no normal use ...
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by AXR64
My daughter applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred and was turned down due to low income - $14k/year, despite Experian credit score of 820+.

Is it worth calling recon and asking if co-signing by me will reverse the decision?
Of course call, what's the worst they can say...no. It will be a hard inquiry for you though if you co-sign
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
you guys are right, i ma still thinking of pre-funding a night with Marriott...but don't have any plans yet 100%.

as far as diversifying my portfolio- i just downgraded my sapphire Pref to no fee sapphire and i also had the united card that i canceled a year ago. I may get the club card if i can get a no fee for the first year but later in a few months ..so its looking i may just transfer credit and cancel. I am trying to keep the cards that i am actually going to use in my strategy long term. i only used Marriott card to get the 80k points out of pretty much that it so no normal use ...
I think it has been said before but can you PC Marriott to Ritz or
Vice versa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.