FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for a Chase card without Social Security No? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1055730-applying-chase-card-without-social-security-no.html)

IncyWincy Feb 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Applying for a Chase card without Social Security No?

It seems that Hyatt and Chase are introducing a Visa card and I am hoping to apply for one.

Can anyone apply for a Chase card without a Social Security Number?

I am asking because I do not live in the US and do not have US passport or SSN. I hold a United Kingdom passport and US based bank account and Platinum Master Card for over 10 years from HSBC which will show a very good credit history.

Thanks.

LHCVG Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 13452351)
It seems that Hyatt and Chase are introducing a Visa card and I am hoping to apply for one.

I am asking because I do not live in the US and do not have US passport or SSN. I hold a United Kingdom passport and US based bank account and Platinum Master Card for over 10 years from HSBC which will show a very good credit history.

Thanks.

When I last applied for a Chase card in December, they said SSN was required, but I seem to remember having a box to indicate that I am a US citizen. Since you're not in that boat, my thought is that an SSN is a moot point, unless they only want to offer the card to American citizens. My thought is that you can still apply because I seem to remember one of those "if not a U.S. citizen, are you...." lines, so you may meet the requirements there.

neuron Feb 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 13452351)

Thanks.

You will probably be rejected due to lack of credit history, which will be searched using your SSN.

mia Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by LHCVG (Post 13455749)
...unless they only want to offer the card to American citizens.

Citizenship is not the issue. The online application for Chase Sapphire says: You must be a U.S. resident to apply. I expect the requirement for the Hyatt card will be the same.

LHCVG Feb 25, 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 13456998)
Citizenship is not the issue. The online application for Chase Sapphire says: You must be a U.S. resident to apply. I expect the requirement for the Hyatt card will be the same.

That's probably the same then. I just mentioned that because I'm not familiar with the specifics of those security laws about verifying people who apply for financial accounts.

IncyWincy Feb 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks.

What about if I were to open a bank account at Chase? Let it sit for a year or two before applying for visa card?

The need to show credit history is not as much when one is just banking in money as opposed to applying for credit.

When I have had an account with Chase for some time, plus my account with HSBC and Plat MC with them for over 10 years should be a lot better when I apply for a Chase card? Does this sound right?

Do I need to be a resident applying for an account?

neuron Feb 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy (Post 13473784)
Thanks.

What about if I were to open a bank account at Chase? Let it sit for a year or two before applying for visa card?

I am not completely positive, but it will be difficult/impossible to open an account without an SSN. I think the Patriot Act has rules pertaining to bank account reporting and money laundering, so they need to keep track of where money is coming and going. I suspect whatever bank you go to, they will say you need a SSN. There are links on the internet that say you can open without having an SSN, but the banks will be very hesitant to do so. YMMV.

I was told that it takes about 6 months to build a credit history.

ONLY_no_One Feb 26, 2010 8:53 pm

what happens if one has a decent credit history but no ssn and credit cards with citibank and others.

IncyWincy Feb 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One (Post 13474291)
what happens if one has a decent credit history but no ssn and credit cards with citibank and others.

Exactly.

I have a very good credit history - over 10 years Premier Private Banking Accounts and Platinum card with HSBC in New York City Manhattan. I do not have an SSN. That is why I am asking.

mia Feb 27, 2010 8:55 am

Chase is a mass market issuer of credit cards. They mail hundreds of millions of invitations each year and applications are centrally processed by an automated system. Without a social security number the system will not be able to locate a credit history. As far as I recall their online applications do not even ask if you are a Chase banking customer. They do specifically state that you must be a US resident.

This is not to say it's impossible, but you would need to establish a strong personal relationship with a manager at a Chase branch who would act as an advocate. I don't think parking some money for a year or two is going to be sufficient.

(For what's worth, the situation is very similar in the UK. I'm automatically declined because I'm not on the electoral roll.)

oiboy Apr 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Any Idea How to Apply for a Chase One Pass Plus CC in Canada?

I'm attempting to get a Chase OPP CC in Canada to no avail. I could use the 50K mileage bonus. I do have a Centurion Card with Amex USA as well as a RBC Visa set up in the US. I'm sure I have established credit as well as a mailing address in the States. They seem to think I need a SSN to open any sort of credit account in the US due to the patriot act. I don't believe this is true as the same would apply to AMEX and RBC USA. Anyone have any suggestions?

nabeelj Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by oiboy (Post 16293113)
I'm attempting to get a Chase OPP CC in Canada to no avail. I could use the 50K mileage bonus. I do have a Centurion Card with Amex USA as well as a RBC Visa set up in the US. I'm sure I have established credit as well as a mailing address in the States. They seem to think I need a SSN to open any sort of credit account in the US due to the patriot act. I don't believe this is true as the same would apply to AMEX and RBC USA. Anyone have any suggestions?

It's got nothing to do with the Patriot Act. Most issuers will not issue credit to non-residents, as it is a higher risk.

How did you get a Centurion card with Amex US without US residency?

Mabuk dan gila May 1, 2011 7:46 pm

The genuine real IRS will give a genuine real United States ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to just about anyone on the planet. This is in the same format and is more or less interchangeable with a Social Security number for allot of banking purposes. YMMV

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...222209,00.html

oiboy May 3, 2011 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj (Post 16296235)
It's got nothing to do with the Patriot Act. Most issuers will not issue credit to non-residents, as it is a higher risk.

How did you get a Centurion card with Amex US without US residency?

For my Centurion the contacted AMEX Canada and I had to fill out some sort of transfer document. I was invited for a Canadian Cent Card first. I think it may be due to the connection between Amex Canada and Amex USA. They did also ask me for a Tax ID or SSN at first but I declined giving them one. They were able to pull a credit bureau through Equifax Canada. Not sure why Chase cannot.

mia May 4, 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by oiboy (Post 16323289)
... may be due to the connection between Amex Canada and Amex USA.

Correct. American Express has a formal program called Global Transfers which transfers your credit history (not your account) from one country to another. This does not necessarily waive the local requirements for opening an account, and it does not include every market.

http://www.americanexpress.com/globa...nsfer_en.shtml

Evidently Chase does not have a similar program, and a mass market company isn't likely to create one on the fly for an individual customer.