Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chase Amazon VISA [redemption values changing; see post #65]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:51 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

A small change has been made to the Amazon VISA issued by Chase. They dropped award FR205 (redeem 6,000 points for 5,000 BA miles) and replaced it with FR206 (redeem 5,000 points for 5,000 BA miles).

Amazon points now convert 1:1 to British Airways miles, in increments of 5,000.

No annual fee

3 points per dollar at Amazon
2 points per dollar Gas Stations, Restaurants, Drugstores and Office Supplies
1 point per dollar elsewhere

Personal card...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

Business card...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard...pe=B&pr=bus321
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
They are also changing it from Platinum to a no preset limit Signature card.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index...owtopic=406854
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
A small change has been made to the Amazon VISA issued by Chase. They dropped award FR205 (redeem 6,000 points for 5,000 BA miles) and replaced it with FR206 (redeem 5,000 points for 5,000 BA miles).

Amazon points now convert 1:1 to British Airways miles, in increments of 5,000.

No annual fee

3 points per dollar at Amazon
2 points per dollar Gas Stations, Restaurants, Drugstores and Office Supplies
1 point per dollar elsewhere

Personal card...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html

Business card...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard...pe=B&pr=bus321
Please direct me to the listing of rewards on this card-I can only find the T&Cs.It looks like it may be a decent card for one of my college kids who does not travel much and could use a good no fee card with usable rewards
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:37 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeflyin
... listing of rewards...
I think you should be able to access this link without having an account...

https://www.choosemyrewards.com/Medi...onConsumer.pdf
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:42 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skofarrell
...changing it from Platinum to a no preset limit Signature card...
I think both have been available for quite awhile, because my wife's card issued in 2008 is the Signature version. It sounds as if the choosemyrewards poster had the Platinum version and Chase recently changed it.

Similarly, my Merrill+ VISA was recently changed by Bank of America from Platinum Plus to Signature, but my mother-in-law just applied and received Platinum Plus.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:01 pm

since the last post was 10/09, I was wondering if there are there any new thoughts about this card.

I'm currently a diners club mastercard holder with a $95 annual fee. The rewards are just like anywhere else, since I'm not interested in airline ticket rewards. However, I'm reluctant to switch from Diners. Great customer service, I very very rarely wait than 30 seconds to speak with someone, and a few other things. Also, I've been with Diners for quite a few years, and I've grown so used to them.

Is the change worth it in your opinion? For the Amazon card holders, what are your thoughts on your card? Is it a reliable card that you use for everyday purchases? Any other credit card suggestions, excluding amx and discover?

any thoughts/tips/advice would be appreciated.

thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thumbs down Amazon to BA - devaluation?

Yesterday I logged onto my Amazon Chase account with the intention of converting 15,000 points to BA miles. The BA option had disappeared from the list of rewards I could choose (even though it still showed in the pdf brochure).

I sent Chase a secure message and got the response that "currently" BA miles were unavailable. I wrote back basically asking if they could be a bit more helpful in their answer.

A new reply arrived this morning saying that it is possible to convert Amazon to BA, but with a rate of 6,000 Amazon to 5,000 BA and also indicating that I needed to call to exchange. There was no acknowledgment of the fact that these are changes or any explanation.

Typically inept Chase service, but also a most unwelcome devaluation of Amazon points if the latest response is to be believed.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by User Name
Yesterday I logged onto my Amazon Chase account with the intention of converting 15,000 points to BA miles. The BA option had disappeared from the list of rewards I could choose (even though it still showed in the pdf brochure).

I sent Chase a secure message and got the response that "currently" BA miles were unavailable. I wrote back basically asking if they could be a bit more helpful in their answer.

A new reply arrived this morning saying that it is possible to convert Amazon to BA, but with a rate of 6,000 Amazon to 5,000 BA and also indicating that I needed to call to exchange. There was no acknowledgment of the fact that these are changes or any explanation.

Typically inept Chase service, but also a most unwelcome devaluation of Amazon points if the latest response is to be believed.
I got the same response and can also verify that the points required for 5,000 BA miles has been upped to 6,000 points.

This is a card I'll be canceling. The constant changes (and devaluations) of Chase card products has gotten to the point that I really just don't want to do business with them anymore, except for the occasional bonus, of course. ;-)
Old Apr 27, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
This is very frustrating. I just tried to redeem my Amazon.com points for the British Airways miles also and the option is no longer on the website. I called and the rep said she doesn't see an option to do that and there is nothing she can do. I then sent a secure message and the guy tells me to call the travel center. So frustrating I can't believe they are allowed to change this program without at least giving people some kind of notice! How did you guys at least get the option for trading at the rate of 6000 to 5000 ?

The awards catalog on their site showing the BA transfer option is still there:
http://www.choosemyrewards.com/Media...onConsumer.pdf

Do we have any way to fight this?
Old May 6, 2011, 7:06 am
mia
Original Poster

Chase would not agree to a "final" redemption for BA miles. However, they credited 2,500 bonus points for the inconvenience -and- they agreed that the Amazon points could be transferred to Ultimate Rewards (which can be redeemed for BA miles) if we open a Sapphire Preferred account.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Chase would not agree to a "final" redemption for BA miles. However, they credited 2,500 bonus points for the inconvenience -and- they agreed that the Amazon points could be transferred to Ultimate Rewards (which can be redeemed for BA miles) if we open a Sapphire Preferred account.
Hmm thanks for the info. How did you you get this information? I called twice and sent a secure message and got nothing as helpful as this. The last rep did tell me to fax in a letter to their "correspondence center" which I did. I noticed 2500 extra points in my Amazon chase account yesterday, but haven't got a letter back from them with the explanation. It still seems like a ridiculous way to reward a loyal customer of the card for nearly 8 years...
Old May 6, 2011, 1:52 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattolo
How did you you get this information?
Secure message center. I am opposed to telephone customer service in principle because there is much less accountability.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by mia
After a phone call followed by two secure messages I was given 2,500 extra points. At this point I wrote back and said in no uncertain terms that this was not acceptable, as I'd diverted significant additional send to my Amazon card just to get the BA miles that are still showing in their online brochure. A few days later I got a reply asking for my BAEC number and asking how many I wanted to transfer - as a one-time only deal. I replied and said transfer the lot (30K+). I'll wait and see how long this takes, and then take up a similar battle on behalf of Mrs User Name.

Crappy Chase customer service as usual turning the most simple and common sense thing into a long drawn-out battle.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I just found out about this. Yuck. So now it's just a penny per point for any option except for the miles for a ticket option - which is 1.6cpm for up to $400 domestic or 1.78cpm for a $1600 ticket "anywhere." 1cpm is pitiful. At least with Capital One there are some options beyond 1cpm, though they fluctuate just as much lately.

Anyone had success in moving the points to Ultimate Rewards as mentioned? I just snagged a Sapphire card so I'd like to call and move my balance over there.

I intend to keep my Amazon card, despite the decline of perks, just because it's one of my oldest credit accounts.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:07 pm

Chase Rewards and airline tickets over $400

Has anyone tried to redeem the 25k points on a Chase card (in my case, Amazon) for an airline ticket over $400?

The BWI-SLC route is almost always over $400, even in the offseason. Do I simply get a credit of $400 when I book with points, then I pay the rest out of pocket, or does the ticket really have to be $400 or less?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.