Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chase Amazon VISA [redemption values changing; see post #65]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chase Amazon VISA [redemption values changing; see post #65]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Chase Amazon.com Rewards Card - 25,000 pts for $450 air ticket no longer available?

I got an email from Chase this morning stating that there have been some "exciting new changes" to the rewards program. My first thought was they had changed the $400 (not $450) air travel ticket reward (cost: 25,000 points), which was arguably one of the better perks of having the card. Sure enough, I looked at the new award redemption brochure:

- Redemptions may be made in 1 point increments for each $0.0100 incremental ticket value. For example, 20,000 points can be redeemed for a $200 airline ticket.
- If you book a ticket with a value greater than the value of the “fixed” ticket, the additional amount must be paid for using your Card and/or additional points.
So, it looks like the $400 RT ticket for 25,000 points is no longer available... just as I was getting ready to book one for skiing in Breckenridge in March.

This was one of the only reasons I like this card so much, so it looks like I might be in the market for a new primary rewards card soon.

Last edited by eturowski; Oct 22, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: ticket cost corrected
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:37 am

It was $400 ticket, not $450, and it's still available. I called about it last week to book a flight. I didn't end up booking (roundtrip has to be on the same airline, and the times didn't work out for me) but it's definitely still an option. Call 1-855-234-2538 to book.

I've got 78k points on this card right now... it's very hard to find a domestic roundtrip for $400+ that I want to use the points on, and I don't want to use it on a ticket less than $400 because that seems like a waste, so I've just been sitting on them waiting for a chance to use them. If they ever do take that option away, I'm going to see if they'll let me cancel the card and convert them to Ultimate Rewards points as a one time courtesy.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by loneraven
Looks like they changed the redemption option again. The 25K pts for a roundtrip ticket is no longer listed, it's replaced by the following vague terms:

"Redemptions may be made in 1 point increments for each $0.0100 incremental ticket value. For example, 20,000 points can be redeemed for a $200 airline ticket.

"... In addition, there may be bonus redemption offers for one roundtrip scheduled airline ticket with a “fixed” value, for a discounted number of points, available through our toll-free number, where permitted by law. Redemptions for this specific item have the service fee waived."

"...If you choose to book a ticket using the “fixed” ticket bonus option, and the actual ticket value is less, the number of points needed to redeem remains the same. For example, an offer to redeem 25,000 points for one roundtrip scheduled airline ticket valued at up to $335 will still require 25,000 points if the ticket you book is valued at $300."

There's no explanation of what these "fixed” ticket bonus options are.
I called to book a ticket (didn't end up booking, roundtrip requires flights to be on the same airline and that didn't work out for me) and the 25k points for ticket up to $400 is still available.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
pennerwr, it looks like you are right. I was a little concerned about the lack of specifics on the website, but I called Chase, and the rep confirmed that it is still 25,000 points for a ticket up to $400, even though that isn't explicitly spelled out anywhere anymore. Sorry for the quick-draw response - mods, please delete this thread if necessary.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:08 pm

Greetings everyone.. After traveling a lot for the past few years I decided in January to start actually collecting my miles and using points. I've found a lot of useful information on this site - thanks for all the info!

On this topic: My amazon chase card had a little over 65,000 points. I got the Sapphire preferred card in January and just received the 40,000 bonus. After reading this thread I decided to try and move my amazon points to UR points. I sent a secure message to Chase and asked them to move the points to British Airways miles. They informed me they could not but could do a one time courtesy transfer to my Ultimate Rewards account... The total time from first secure message to response to my agreement to move the points to actually seeing the points move was around four hours.
Not too shabby
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:22 am

I'm a little confused and hope someone can help clarify something. Are the 3x points earned from Amazon purchases UR points or some kind of Amazon points? Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:01 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MoogLiberation
Are the 3x points earned from Amazon purchases UR points or some kind of Amazon points? Thanks.
Separate rewards program unrelated to Ultimate Rewards. Read more here:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/BRC31896.pdf
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:20 pm

I am having no success in transferring Amazon points to Ultimate Rewards with the British Airways trick but Chase would not acknowledge it. They keep responding that points can only be transferred between accounts with similar earning structure.

Any tips?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kidrah
I am having no success in transferring Amazon points to Ultimate Rewards with the British Airways trick but Chase would not acknowledge it. They keep responding that points can only be transferred between accounts with similar earning structure.

Any tips?
The Amazon points are completely different from UR points. Other than the exception up this thread, I've never heard of Chase combining the two types of points.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:55 am

I'm getting ready to redeem 25K points for a domestic ticket. However, the fares are really cheap right now: $320 round trip, so I'd be "wasting" $80.

I noticed that first class on this route is $500. Will Chase let me buy a first class ticket and pay the $100 difference?

It's not specifically outlined in the T&C that I read. Anyone have better knowledge?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 am

Finally booked a flight with these points. Flight was $459.90. 25k points got me the first $400, and then they let me use 5590 points (not 5990, which I thought was odd) to cover the rest. I opted to do that instead of pay the difference. The phone call took about a half hour. He had a little trouble finding the specific flights I wanted that I found on ITA. Obviously, I routed to maximize the mileage out of it.

Checked the reservation on united.com as soon as he read me the confirmation number, and it already showed ticketed and confirmed. Put in my MP#, and it let me choose E+ seats and shows I'm eligible for an upgrade. Some strange things: It still says "Economy Plus is available for your itinerary from $59" and shows bag fees. Not worried about that, but odd.

Edit: After a while, the E+ charge and bag fees changed. Guess that's what happens when the FF# is not put in during the booking process.

Last edited by penner42; Sep 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by exeterKX
I'm getting ready to redeem 25K points for a domestic ticket. However, the fares are really cheap right now: $320 round trip, so I'd be "wasting" $80.

I noticed that first class on this route is $500. Will Chase let me buy a first class ticket and pay the $100 difference?

It's not specifically outlined in the T&C that I read. Anyone have better knowledge?
When they used to have the travel options listed online it said "Coach (or economy) ticket up to $400." No idea if that restriction is still there. Call and find out and let us know.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:09 pm

Can Amazon's Chase card earn UR points?

Or is there some way to transfer / combine points earned on the Amazon Chase card over to UR points?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
No. The only way to earn UR points is through a UR-earning card. Chase-issued Amazon cards deposit rewards straight your Amazon account at $0.01/point -- totally separate reward programs.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Finally used these points after what seems like a decade. 25k still gets you $400 worth of credit, my flight was $400.12. Agent wasn't able to see all fights from ITA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.