Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 24, 09, 6:55 pm   #1
mkt

Programs: AA PLT; B6 Mosaic; CM/UA 1P; VS Silver; Emerald Club Executive; Europcar Elite VIP, Amex MR
talk to me... 5 hours in SJO. What to do?

I have a hair over 5 hours in SJO coming up soon.

I am fluent in Spanish, have a thirsty liver, and a ton of camera memory.

What to do?
Old Apr 25, 09, 5:51 am   #2

Programs: AA EXP 5.07MM; Marriott Lifetime Pt; Hyatt Diam; Avis
Not much to see in SJO

the real beauty is in the outskirts and towards the pacific beach. However, the POAS volcano could have been a nice option but the earthquake they had last year took care of the access road.
I would get a cab and tell them to take you to the Britt factory (about 30 mins) take a tour and sip some coffee - better for your liverhttp://www.flyertalk.com/tongue.gif
Ceteris Paribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 09, 4:04 am   #3

If you haven't been therefore, I would give you two quick options for sightseeing:

1. To get a flavor for the real Costa Rica, as opposed to metropolitan Costa Rica, get in a cab and have him take you up to the town of Zarcero. You can take a quick ride up there via the main highway and take the Naranjo turnoff to Zarcero, or you can take the more scenic route beginning in Alajuela. The Alajuela route will take you Alajuela-Grecia-Sarchi-Zarcero. Then take the hiqhway route back so you are in time for the flight, or do this in reverse order. You can see Alajeula from the airport (red domed cathedral off in the distance). Lots of picture taking in these towns, especially Zarcero which I regard as a treasure.

2. For metropolitan Costa Rica take a cab to the Teatro Nacional, quick tour of that, and then walk up to the old military fort that is now the Museo Nacional. You can walk around that area to get a feel for the city. Some of the older homes in that area have been preserved and converted to B&B. Not as nice as it used to be. Just get a map of the central area there and walk around.
Martinis at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 09, 4:15 am   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceteris Paribus View Post
the real beauty is in the outskirts and towards the pacific beach. However, the POAS volcano could have been a nice option but the earthquake they had last year took care of the access road.
I would get a cab and tell them to take you to the Britt factory (about 30 mins) take a tour and sip some coffee - better for your liverhttp://www.flyertalk.com/tongue.gif
This would be lower on my list. Not really Costa Rican IMO. So a Gringo named Steve Aronson moves to Costa Rica, buys some coffee beans, roasts/grinds them, then packages it with the label Britt (later buys some acreage), names the label after his favorite actress Britt Eklund.

The movie The Bobo must have had a real impact on him. Get it?...The Bobo as in a bobo, the movie also starred Britt Eklund with Peter Sellers playing the bobo. Oh man! I crack myelf up

BTW, you can buy a bag of the coffee at the airport. It's quite good. See if you can pick up the Tarrazu variant.
Martinis at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 09, 12:27 am   #5

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Rumor has it that the Peruvian seafood restaurant La Mar has arrived to San Josť. If you're into good seafood, I'd forget about sightseeing and head straight there. I think that, with a couple of good Peruvian pisco sours, your liver will be happy there.
Siempre Viajando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 09, 8:23 pm   #6

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Go to Zoo Ave .. only 15 mins from the airport, nice animal rescue centre with birds, monkeys and more. 2 hours does it justice. Lunch at Fiesta del Maiz nearby.
ianridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 09, 2:36 pm   #7

I wouldn't waste my time in San Jose...road to Poas and La Paz waterfalls is gorgeous, but I think quake wiped it out. Hire a cab (we did a 1/2 day for about $40USD) and went to the top of Irazu volcano. Drive there up the countryside and then up the mountain is stunning. We also stopped at Cartago (former capital) and visited a gorgeous church and walked around in the cool crisp air. Alajuela is also a nice little town and very close to SJO airport.
sfodaves is offline   Reply With Quote