Costa Rica Rainforest Lodge Suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

We have decided to tour Costa Rica for my 40th BDAY in Feb 2010. AA had great fare from BWI $115 ea way.

We are going to stay on the Pacific side at the beach. We are looking for a great lodge to stay in the Rain Forest-preferably near the volcano. Any suggestions of places you might have stayed?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Monteverde?

I am guessing you are asking about Monteverde? We have stayed at the El Sapo Dorado and at the Monteverde Lodge. The first is fairly basic but well-run. The second is MUCH more lux but sometimes has some service issues for the price you are paying.

This is a good site for Monteverde:

http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/

Beware: the road to/from, well, isn't a road!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I stayed at the Bosque del Cabo lodge on the Osa Peninsula about 2 years ago. I was there for only 3 days and saw 3 kinds of monkeys, toucans, macaws, etc. Nice upscale place with good food. The staff was wonderful. Would like to return someday.

Not near the volcanos but a beautiful spot.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
We just returned from Costa Rica last week. It was a beautiful place. We stayed in a rented condo in Jaco which is a nice Pacific Beach town. I can tell you how to get a beach front condo for a few days for next to nothing with no timeshare junk. If you want to know more PM me.

Second we stayed at Vocano Lodge near the Arenol Volcano which is about 2.5 hours drive out of San Jose. It was very nice and serves a free buffet breakfast. The grounds are very nice as well.

My only warning is that it is cloudy the majority of the time. We only saw the full volcano for about 1 hour in the middle of the afternoon. None of the firey lava flow at night that it is famous for.
Old May 6, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I have heard this new Springs hotel near Arenal volcano is supposed to be really nice. It might be up your alley. Check out the view from the first two shots!

The other high-end place there is Tabacon, but if you can get into the Observatory Lodge it has the best views at night of red hot lava rocks coming down the sides.
Old May 27, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Can vouch for the Arenal Observatory Lodge. ^ Went in 2005 (I believe --lots of trips since then!).

The Lodge was fantastic and we had a balcony looking right out at the beautiful volcano, and also lots of birding action right from our room and howler monkeys to boot. We were lucky and had nice clear weather and great views of the volcano.

We only spent two nights there before moving on, but we are definitely going back when we make another trip to Costa Rica. Still lots of areas we didn't see.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:02 pm

I would DEF recommend staying in the treehouse at Black Turtle Lodge (Tortuga Negra) just outside of Pto Jimenez... this is on the Pacific side on the Golfo Dulce. Nico (ex-pat) is an amazing, down-to-earth and helpful host. We flew into SJO, then took a small plane (1 hr flight) down to Pto Jim. (DO NOT take a bus...say it's 12 hrs, but more like 16!) This is right on the doorstep of Corcovado National Park. We didn't get to go this time, but still saw all sorts of howler/spider monkeys and toucans/macaws, etc. The gulf is an amazingly biodiverse place... loads of dolphin and whales, as they migrate there. Went on a kayaking tour thru mangroves and in the gulf as well. Went to a really cool animal sanctuary across the bay...and a few nature walks. Food at lodge is really casual and delicious. We had a non-traditional turkey dinner a few Christmases ago. Each cabin is surrounded by flora and there are paths leading to your own private beach. I want to go back. It is definitely worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.