Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

MGA or TGU for Connection?

I'm looking at flying from CLO to PDX, on United, with a choice of routes:

CLO-PTY-MGA-IAH-PDX

or

CLO-PTY-TGU-IAH-PDX

Both routes take the exact same amount of time, the only difference is the choice of MGA (on AeroRepublica) or TGU (on Copa).

I'd sure appreciate any wisdom/recommendations to help me decide.

Thanks,

Jan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
For one thing, AeroRepublica is now Copa Colombia, a division of Panama's Copa Airlines. Copa flies to MGA; Copa Colombia does not, that I'm able to find. I think in either case, your onward flight from PTY is going to be on Copa.

Both MGA and TGU are small airports. (TGU is tiny.) I've never connected in either. I've just flown into both. In both cases, you're shunted directly to immigration and customs. You don't mix with the departing passengers in the boarding area. I'm not sure how a connection in either would work. Maybe it does without going through passport control.

There's no itinerary that goes PTY-IAH on United without a connection?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

There isn't another itinerary on United (I'm using miles) that works for me. From what you are saying it sounds like it is six of one, half dozen of the other as far as the choice. I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else has any direct experience and/or further suggestions.

Thanks!

Jan
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Talk with the gate agent immediately on arrival. Neither I have connected on those airports but at many Latin American airports you have to pay departure tax if you clear the immigrations.

I have seen TACA selling flights via both airports with relatively short connections so there should be a way to avoid immigrations. Whether this applies for Copa passengers is of course another story...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
I've connected through both, and the upthread poster is correct. Once off the plane tell the GA or who ever is around the end of the jetway that you are connecting. They will literally open doors for you to get to where you need to be without passing through passport control. Depending on their mood in MGA, they may want to scan your carry-on again up in the gate area.

You will be pretty much the only pax connecting, so do not follow anyone.

If I had a choice, I guess I would pick MGA, because there is a (very) little more to do airside in terms of shopping/eating. But if you are a thrill seeker the TGU arrival can't be beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.