FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   Best carriers, routes & fare searches for Belize? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/920780-best-carriers-routes-fare-searches-belize.html)

shorelife Feb 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Best carriers, routes & fare searches for Belize?

Can anyone suggest me what carriers are currently offering any specials over the next 2-4 months down to Belize? I need to ideally travel down there from either MIA or FLL. Does AA have a monopoly down there, or are there carriers that don't come up on Travelocity etc. that are worth watching for better fares and specials? And when I say "special" I do mean on the scale of the $7 specials that budget carriers like Spirit have to other parts of Central America.

bpoe19 Feb 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Right now, you are looking at approx $775ai per person out of MIA and FLL over the next few months using itasoftware. A lot of us got lucky and snagged the deal from American and Delta in Nov for approx $200-$250ai per person. I'm not sure when you'll see the prices drop that low again. If it works for you, also check ATL for the DL direct flights as well.

iahphx Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

There's a decent fare posted today in the mileagerun section from IAH. Look around -- maybe there's new fares elsewhere.

If you want to go to BZE, you either need to use miles, pay an outrageous fare (highest in Central America, I've heard), or be patient and seize the opportunities when they come.

I liked the country, but I wouldn't pay a lot of money to return. From the USA, it's worth about 250 bucks, IMHO.

shorelife Feb 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Supposing you flew instead to Managua, Nicaragua and went overland by bus, or to San Pedro Sula, Honduras and overland by bus from either point onward to Belize -- wouldn't that be considerably cheaper?

iahphx Feb 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by shorelife (Post 11283293)
Supposing you flew instead to Managua, Nicaragua and went overland by bus, or to San Pedro Sula, Honduras and overland by bus from either point onward to Belize -- wouldn't that be considerably cheaper?

Not sure about those connections, but they're possible. People DO fly into Cancun (cheap flights and plentiful service -- two things Managua generally lacks) and go by bus to Belize. It's cheap, and I think it takes about 6 hours.

jerry crump Mar 1, 2009 9:30 pm

IAH-BZE on TACA is $181 or $280+- all in.

CUN is always the cheapest and the bus to Chetamal is about $20 for a luxury bus.

shorelife Mar 8, 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by jerry crump (Post 11343812)
IAH-BZE on TACA is $181 or $280+- all in.

CUN is always the cheapest and the bus to Chetamal is about $20 for a luxury bus.

Jerry, you're brilliant, that's the type of info I'll hold onto when I get serious enough to research all the current routes. I don't know where Chetamal is but Belize is a relatively small country. I have to get to some tiny island call Ambergis Caye, also inland to a house that's owned by a family member on the mainland. Spirit goes to Cancun seasonally FLL for much cheaper with their crazy fares during the in-season, I think those have stopped for now though because I don't see CUN listed on the specials. I have issues with TACA....

globetrots May 6, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, I was going to say check TACA as they usually have the best fares and don't show up on all of the booking engines. I am going down there this summer but am flying into Cancun and then working my way down and back slowly. Buses in Mexico are really nice, so it's pretty painless. You can also go overland from Tikal in Guatemala and by boat from Honduras.