Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Need transfer from San Jose Airport to Puerto Calderas (somewhat urgent)

Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff

My in-laws are in San Jose CR, and in a few days will need to get to Puerto Calderas to embark on a ship.

They are being quoted around US$140 each for the bus. I've never been there, but that seems really expensive for a reportedly 2 hour bus ride.

Can anyone suggest another alternative?

If that's reasonable for Costa Rica (I haven't been there yet), fine, but it seems pretty high to me.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 6:49 pm

Programs: CO Gold
they can probably take a cab for even less than that price!!

hell, I might even take them myself ROFL

http://www.interbusonline.com/

they can use that service from San Jose to Puntarenas , then in Puntarenas they will have to arrange for a taxi to Caldera (should be a short ride)
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:18 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by AC110
They are being quoted around US$140 each for the bus. I've never been there, but that seems really expensive for a reportedly 2 hour bus ride.
I can tell you that it certainly is a rather exhorbitant fare to quote for the reasonably short drive between Puerto Caldera and San Jose. Problem is, Puerto Caldera is more or less just a cruise ship/cargo port, with no associated town. Thus, there is no scheduled bus sevice to Puerto Caldera, as stated in the following discussion that I found on another website:

"Cruise ships stopping on the Pacific coast usually call at Puntarenas. They can tie up at the dock in the city or at Puerto Caldera, the country's busiest commercial dock, which is about 10 mi/16 km south of Puntarenas. You can walk into town from the dock at Puntarenas, but if your ship stops at Puerto Caldera, you won't find much to see or do. There's no town—Puerto Caldera is merely a jumping-off point. You'll find phones at the International Calling Center (which accepts major credit cards) in the air-conditioned terminal building and a few local vendors selling handicrafts and coffee. Taxis usually await ships and offer a variety of day tours. Puerto Caldera has no public bus service or rental cars available. However, a tourist information booth is open whenever cruise ships are in port."

I agree with the previous poster that you may well be able to hire a taxi to drive you between the two pints for less than the total $280 quoted for the bus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.