Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Can anyone offer value-oriented Belize tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There are several of us who've purchased crazy low "mileage run" fares to Belize this past weekend. It's a destination many of us have heard about and wanted to visit, but never quite got there. Well, now we are. But instead of a "trip of a lifetime," we're generally dropping in for a few days. And are looking for value-oriented tips to get the most out of our stays.

I've PM'd a couple of flyertalkers for information, but I thought I'd start this forum so that everyone can contribute and benefit from the discussion.

Everyone seems to agree that you want to leave Belize city, and that there are 2 main leisure destinations in Belize: 1) inland eco or adventure travel through rainforest and such; and 2) beach/snorkel/scuba activites on the offshore islands (known as "cayes"). The country is very small, but transportation is somewhat complex in that you have to go by boat or plane to the cayes, and the road conditions can be less than ideal (and rental cars are fairly expensive).

So how do we make the most of our visits? Thanks for the tips!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Firstly, PM me if you want more info also. I'm actually heading to Belize on the 8th of Nov.
I also know of the fares you capitalized upon. I foundout about them just a smidge too late. I would booked something for Feb.

Anyway, agree... don't stay in BZE. If I were you, I'd head straight for the cayes. From there, there are myriad outfitters that will take you to the mayan ruins for a day trip. Although there are more, there are generally two cayes people travel to when in Belize- Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. Ambergris will have more of a night life and town center. More restaurants too. Relatively laid back.

Caye caulker is even more laid back. I can't believe how slowly time moves when there. Don't get me wrong though... there are still bars and restaurants on Caye Caulker. Fun place. Just more laid back.

If you go to Ambergris, you can find cheap, clean hotels right in town on the beach. Ruby's comes to mind. Also the Spindrift (I've stayed there) or Conch Shell Inn. Ruby's is $40/nt. Great deal. Conch Shell will be slightly more expensive. Spindrift will run you about $70/nt.

I could type so much more. PM me specific questions and I'll see if I can lend some suggestions whether it be getting from BZE to San Pedro or restaurant suggestions.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, PSU. I thought I'd continue the conversation here so that others can join in, and also benefit from the discussion (I figure there are dozens of us who now "unexpectedly" have to figure out Belize!).

I'm not surprised you recommend Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, as they seem to be the 2 leading destinations in the country. For both of them, it seems like you can either fly or take the boat. In my case (family of 5), my first instinct is to take the boat because I figure it won't waste that much time, might be an interesting experience and will be significantly cheaper. But if that's possibly the wrong instinct, please correct me.

In choosing between the two cayes, I seem to be hearing that: 1) Ambergris is overdeveloped, but it's still where most of the hotels, restaurants and activities are; 2) Caulker is more peaceful, but perhaps boring. This is what I need to get a handle on, especially in planning a family trip. I'm not a big fan of overdevelopment, so I'm wondering what I give up by going to Caulker.

Finally, if Caulker is a little dull, if I have 5 days, does it make sense to spend a couple of days at a rainforest lodge in addition to, say, 3 nights on Caulker? Or is that too rushed?

Also, it seems like renting a car would be pretty useless because it doesn't get you to the cayes. But I guess it would get you to a rainforest lodge. I suppose the alternative is to let the lodge arrange transport for you (or just stay exclusively on a caye). I was in Costa Rica last year and I much enjoyed having the freedom of my own car.

Any additional tips and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
iahphx, thanks for starting this thread! I locked in the fare for Belize next May (thank you FT) and so did 6 other couples I work with. I would love any suggestions/help you guys have.

PSUhorty, I sent you a PM and appreciate any help.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by iahphx
For both of them, it seems like you can either fly or take the boat. In my case (family of 5), my first instinct is to take the boat because I figure it won't waste that much time, might be an interesting experience and will be significantly cheaper. But if that's possibly the wrong instinct, please correct me.
The flight is 15-20 mins. The boat ride, 1.5 hrs. If the water is choppy, it will seem like 2 hrs, I've been told. Yes, it is cheaper though. If I recall, RT on Tropic Air is $120/person. The boat is $35, I believe, but you will have to catch a taxi to the boat terminal. With Tropic Air, it's so incredibly simple- it's right there in the terminal. The boat ride could make for a nice family experience though. Some people say they like the boat ride moreso than the flight.

In choosing between the two cayes, I seem to be hearing that: 1) Ambergris is overdeveloped, but it's still where most of the hotels, restaurants and activities are; 2) Caulker is more peaceful, but perhaps boring. This is what I need to get a handle on, especially in planning a family trip. I'm not a big fan of overdevelopment, so I'm wondering what I give up by going to Caulker.
Ambergris Caye (AC) is not overdeveloped in the sense that I think you're thinking. Firstly, we should be talking about San Pedro as that is the town on AC and where the hotels, restaurants, activities that you speak of are. You won't find glitzy hotels there. You won't find a McDonalds. You won't find an upper end shopping district. It is still 2nd world. It is still has a very local feel. You are among the locals, for sure. Most streets in San Pedro are sand, although the main street (Front St., I believe) is now sandstone. Last time I was there, they were working on Middle Street.

San Pedro is becoming overdeveloped in this respect- At times, the streets simply can't handle the increased golf cart and vehicle traffic. It might take a bit of time to make your way through town at 'rush hour'. Not a big deal, imo. Secondly, the completion of a bridge just north of town that allows for access to parts of AC further north has facilitated an increase in the construction of resorts up there. These stretch from just north of San Pedro to about 7 miles further. But there aren't many. When you're in San Pedro, this stuff never even crosses your mind. Trust me. You never even see them. San Pedro is a world unto itself, for sure.

Caulker is like a mini San Pedro. Just more relaxed. While time moves more slowy at either, it seems to move even more slowy on Caulker. The town of Caulker is roughly 1/5th the size of San Pedro. There are fewer restaurants and hotels, of course. It is a great place.
Here is San Pedro's 'downtown'. This is but a small part of it, but it all has the same feel. The Caribbean is only about 30 yards over the other side of the buildings on the left:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/sanpedro.jpg

Here is Caulker's 'downtown':
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ayeCaulker.jpg

Imo, you will miss out on some great restaurants if you don't stay or visit San Pedro.

Finally, if Caulker is a little dull, if I have 5 days, does it make sense to spend a couple of days at a rainforest lodge in addition to, say, 3 nights on Caulker? Or is that too rushed?
Caulker would get a bit dull for me if I had to stay 5 days there. But if you're into simply reading on the beach, scuba diving, and snorkeling, then Caulker is for you. Don't get me wrong, Caulker is flat out AWESOME. So relaxing. I love it there. But it would probably start to get dull for me after a few days. I can't answer your question about the Rainforest Lodge. I don't know what your family enjoys. From MY Perspective, I wouldn't even THINK of staying off the cayes. You can easily book day trips to the jungles and ruins from the Cayes. I'd feel like I was missing out on so much if I didn't stay on the cayes. Consider staying a few nights in San Pedro and a couple on Caulker. That would be a good plan. But, staying the entire time in San Pedro? Ain't no shame in that. That's what I'm doing... again.

Also, it seems like renting a car would be pretty useless because it doesn't get you to the cayes. But I guess it would get you to a rainforest lodge. I suppose the alternative is to let the lodge arrange transport for you (or just stay exclusively on a caye). I was in Costa Rica last year and I much enjoyed having the freedom of my own car.
If you go to the cayes, not even up for discussion. Don't rent a car. I don't even know that you can rent them on the Cayes. On the cayes, you rent golf carts. That's all you need to get around and what most of the tourists do. Can't comment on mainland lodges setting up transport for you to the jungle/ruins. Never done it.

Any additional tips and suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
I'd like to write more... and I will. But, what is your family looking to do? What type of place are you looking to stay in? Can you guys handle a basic hotel room or suite w/out much in the way of amenities? Mind you, on the cayes, you won't find 4-star accomodations, for the most part. What about food? I'm full of suggestions regarding all of this, so fire away w/questions.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks again, PSU. Your analysis is very helpful.

I think we will definitely go to one -- or both -- of these cayes. And for us -- a family of 5 -- it sounds like the boat is an economic no-brainer (and my wife will feel safer going that way, too).

We often stay in "fancy" resorts, but we don't need fancy resorts. For instance, we had a grand time on Vieques island (off Puerto Rico), which is a place I imagine has some similarities to these cayes.

I have heard that there aren't many beaches on the cayes and that it's useful to stay at a hotel that has a pier so that you can swim from there. With kids, that seems potentially useful. Also, I think I heard that there is more beach on Ambergris than Caulker. That might influence my decision. I've also heard that it's pretty each to get from one to another, so maybe we can do both.

As far as dining goes, we'd love to get simple seafood. If you've ever been to Barbados, where you eat the Friday night outdoor fish fry on the south shore, that's kind of what I'd have in mind. I suspect either island could accomodate this, and the costs would be comparable.

Having recently been to Costa Rica, my hunch is that I could miss the rainforest on this trip and be happy staying exclusively on the cayes. That said, I wouldn't mind a night at a rainforest lodge, but it sounds like it might not be worth the trouble or expense in arranging it.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:04 pm

I went to Belize a couple of years ago. Caye Caulker was a day trip from ambergris and it was tiny and sleepy. After spending time in the jungle ambergris seems busy. I totally recommend the snorkle trips - there is a full day one with a bbq and they take you on a catamaran.

If you want more info PM me - I have my trip itinerary at home and could send you the details (We went for two weeks but we did one week jungle and one week beach)
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
If you decide on Caulker, the water taxi is only 45 min. You can also take day trips from one to the other via the water taxi (daytime only). Things on Caulker are generally a bit cheaper. I went to San Pedro years ago and am going to Caulker next year because I think it'll be more like the San Pedro that I remember from years back.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:26 am

In PSUhorty's picture of Barrier Reef Drive or Front Street in San Pedro, I would note a couple of things. The "High Speed Internet" sign in the right front, is where the best PC's and cheap international calls can be had... he also has a good cappuccino machine. Ruby's, mentioned above, is the last tall building with red trim on the left.
A small point for all you Lobster lovers: Lobster season is closed Feb 15th through June 15th. You can still get a live one from an unscrupulous fisherman, but this highly frowned upon...not to mention a hefty fine.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, I've started making inquiries for some of the more highly rated lodging choices on the cayes, and I'm finding space to be limted this winter. So if you want your first choice, it might be wise to "figure this out" sooner rather than later.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I have heard that there aren't many beaches on the cayes and that it's useful to stay at a hotel that has a pier so that you can swim from there. With kids, that seems potentially useful. Also, I think I heard that there is more beach on Ambergris than Caulker. That might influence my decision. I've also heard that it's pretty each to get from one to another, so maybe we can do both.

As far as dining goes, we'd love to get simple seafood. If you've ever been to Barbados, where you eat the Friday night outdoor fish fry on the south shore, that's kind of what I'd have in mind. I suspect either island could accomodate this, and the costs would be comparable.

Having recently been to Costa Rica, my hunch is that I could miss the rainforest on this trip and be happy staying exclusively on the cayes. That said, I wouldn't mind a night at a rainforest lodge, but it sounds like it might not be worth the trouble or expense in arranging it.
Re: the beaches
Both have similar beaches w/neither being the type of beaches you'd be used to if you went to the east coast or some resorts in the caribbean. They aren't wide on Ambergris or Caulker. But, still no problem laying aournd and reading on them. All beaches are open to everyone on Ambergris. That is, even the nice beach that Ramone's Resort takes care of is open to anyone. We did that for a day- just laid around on the beach and snorkeled at their pier (I recommend snorkleing there if youdon' feel like getting on a boat to take you snorkeling).

Yes, there can be simple seafood to be had on either caye. I can't wait to get myself some ceviche again when I'm there.

Again, I'd stay on the cayes if you're there for only a week. If you really have a hankering for a jungle trip, you can do a day trip from the keys.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by alien
In PSUhorty's picture of Barrier Reef Drive or Front Street in San Pedro... Ruby's, mentioned above, is the last tall building with red trim on the left.
Ruby's. Yes, exactly where I'll be in 8 days!
My previous trip, I stayed at the Spindrift which I'm roughly standing in front of in that picture. I'd also recommend the Spindrift.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by alien
In PSUhorty's picture of Barrier Reef Drive or Front Street in San Pedro,... Ruby's, mentioned above, is the last tall building with red trim on the left.
Actually, in retrospect, Ruby's is the white building w/pink trim. I believe the last one w/the red trim is Celi's.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I'm considering a trip to Belize in May. Thanks for all of the good info on the Cayes. I came across the Black Orchid Resort and am kind of intrigued by it. Any comments? Seems like a good spot to do some non-Caye day trips.

Tripadvisor Reviews
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Actually, in retrospect, Ruby's is the white building w/pink trim. I believe the last one w/the red trim is Celi's.
The white building with the pink trim is The Holiday Hotel. Celi's is located inside this hotel. If you can look closer at your picture, there is a greyish round sign in front of the white building with red trim. The sign reads " Rubies Hotel"...(while another sign reads "Ruby's Hotel)...someday I'll figure out how to get my pix online...

Last edited by alien; Oct 31, 2008 at 7:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.