Wiki Posts
Search

National car rental at LIR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
National car rental at LIR?

I have a car reserved with National at LIR. Any recent experiences with them?

I am aware of getting CDW in written form from my CC (Chase Sapphire Reserve) and that 3rd party liability insurance is mandatory. I used a contract ID that resulted in 3rd party liability being 'included' according to National's website (it would've cost ~$150 without the contract ID) - hope that holds up. All-in I got a 'std' SUV (Suzuki Grand Vitara) for $590 for 2 weeks, which seems like a pretty decent price.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Skymiles, MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Copa ConnectMiles, Avianca LifeMiles
I would not count on the 3rd party liability being included when you arrive at the rental counter in Costa Rica. However, I don't know the details of your contract ID and what it entails. Somebody has to pay that 3rd party liability in Costa Rica... it cannot just be waived. The term "3rd party liability" is misleading. What it should say is "Mandatory Government Insurance/Fee." Either you pay it or the rental company does. The government is definitely getting their pound of flesh.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Starwood
Smile

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I have a car reserved with National at LIR. Any recent experiences with them?

I am aware of getting CDW in written form from my CC (Chase Sapphire Reserve) and that 3rd party liability insurance is mandatory. I used a contract ID that resulted in 3rd party liability being 'included' according to National's website (it would've cost ~$150 without the contract ID) - hope that holds up. All-in I got a 'std' SUV (Suzuki Grand Vitara) for $590 for 2 weeks, which seems like a pretty decent price.

Can you tell me where you got the CDW from CSR card? I'm planning to rent a car in El Salvador and have the same card. Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by jules128
Can you tell me where you got the CDW from CSR card? I'm planning to rent a car in El Salvador and have the same card. Thanks
I called the number on the back of the card and they emailed me the CDW statement in the form of a letter, mentioning me by name. While I was talking to the rep from 'card benefit services' I figured I'd have them send the CDW statement for my wife's Hyatt Visa (also by Chase) since we might book the rental in her name instead of mine.

An update to my rental: I now have a reservation without the contract ID I mentioned upthread as the prices dropped without any contract ID to where it was $100 cheaper even with the liability insurance add-on, then with the contract ID where the liability was included.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:39 pm

Any recent experience at this station? Need to rent a SUV 4x4 . Will use my Chase card CDW and planning to bring a coverage letter.
What they have for a full size and premium SUV? Are they newish vehicles? Like no more than 2 years old? Are they try hard to upsell insurance? Thank you in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.