Search

Empty bottle confiscated at PTY while boarding UA flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:51 pm
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Empty bottle confiscated at PTY while boarding UA flight

We spent a most enjoyable weekend in PTY. We felt happy (and a tad sad) driving to the airport to catch UA 1031 to IAH before connecting to YYZ.

At the check-in counter, the agent told us we would have to go through two security checks: 1. airport security, 2. airline security.

As usual, we discarded whatever water that was left in our bottles. We encountered no problem at Security Check 1 and we proceeded to the Lounge.

Before boarding, we went through the second security check at the gate. There, the agent confiscated my empty bottle saying that EMPTY bottles are not allowed!! She confiscated my husband's bottle as well. My bottle measures only 4 cm square (11/2 ") and is 14 1/2 cm tall (5 1/2"). It can contain 1 cup of water. It is the perfect size for a lady's purse!

I protested telling the agent I have always travelled with this bottle and have never encountered any problem at any security check world-wide. Besides, I need it as I take medication. She called the supervisor but the answer was still negative. And my empty bottle was tossed into the garbage can.

Is this a new rule ... at PTY...?? or is it UA policy? Does UA feel threatened by EMPTY water bottles?

Would appreciate input from other pax. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There are reports of complete morons in PTY who have little clue about what the regulations really are.

You are not the first.

Life goes on.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Where these UA employees or airport employees?
Usually UA employees do not do the security check.

Airports and local governments make the security rules and some can be different than the USA/TSA rules. And sometimes they mis-apply the USA/TSA guidelines for planes coming to the USA.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I think HKG still takes sealed bottles of water that you get from United's own lounge.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Not a United rule or policy -- this happened by the PTY security staff. Everyone country is different.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by N1120A
I think HKG still takes sealed bottles of water that you get from United's own lounge.
Yes, but only on US-bound flights. and only if they found it.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Yes, but only on US-bound flights. and only if they found it.
Precisely. I took 2 bottles out of the SQ lounge and they only found 1 because it was sticking out of my side pocket of my backpack. It wasn't a real thorough search... this is a bigger security theater than the TSA IMO.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Where these UA employees or airport employees?...
These additional security checks are usually performed by employees of local companies hired by UA (and/or other American airlines) to do what is required by the US rules but not provided by the foreign airports on a routine basis. In general, the people doing the controls have IQs below 60 and the US or international rules are applied after a very, very loose interpretation. I remember having almost been bumped in AMS because I didn't know the birthday of the friend at whose place I'd been staying in Boston, and in ATH because I had paid my ticket from the TA only the day before I flew. Both cases pre-9/11 by the way!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by MTC
Is this a new rule ... at PTY...?? or is it UA policy? Does UA feel threatened by EMPTY water bottles?
I've seen this happen more than I can count in the past 2 years in PTY. Yes, they will pretty much toss all bottles, airport-bought items included. No, it's doesn't matter what airline you're flying, seen it at UA, Delta, Copa, and KLM gates.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by gracall
I've seen this happen more than I can count in the past 2 years in PTY. Yes, they will pretty much toss all bottles, airport-bought items included. No, it's doesn't matter what airline you're flying, seen it at UA, Delta, Copa, and KLM gates.
I flew three times out of PTY last June (2x Copa, both to Mexico and 1x Avianca to Costa Rica) and there was no security check at the gate for any of those flights.

Last edited by KLouis; Sep 23, 2015 at 6:02 am
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
bottle of water = botella de agua (clearly forbidden on flights to the USA)
water bottle = botella de agua ............. (I didn't write the rules, but I'd guess someone read them)

Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
There was a point after the liquid bomb scare at which empty containers larger than 100ml were not allowed as you could in principle assemble a dangerous quantity of explosive from several 100ml bottles in one. The TSA explicitly allows empty water bottles these days but the practice elsewhere may still be rooted in the past.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I flew three times out of PTY last June (2x Copa, both to Mexico and 1x Avianca to Costa Rica) and there was no security check at the gate for any of those flights.
I suppose destination matters then. All my US-bound flights (AUG 2015) had gate check. My colleague's AMS flight did as well. OP stated YYZ as destination, sounds like a rule for NA and EU.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by gracall
I suppose destination matters then. All my US-bound flights (AUG 2015) had gate check. My colleague's AMS flight did as well. OP stated YYZ as destination, sounds like a rule for NA and EU.
Destination or airline matters? US airlines, for instance, often have additional checks out of Europe while European ones don't....
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Destination or airline matters? US airlines, for instance, often have additional checks out of Europe while European ones don't....
Speaking of PTY only, I'm assuming destination because your Copa to Mexico had no gate check, my Copa to MCO and LAX did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.