Costa Rica - looking for a (resort) hotel with good day trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica - looking for a (resort) hotel with good day trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
I stayed at the Doubltree at the end of my CR trip, in order to get acclimatised to Cancun (my next stay ). It's OK, nothing super-exciting and I guess the kids will prefer the pool to the beach. Get yourself a mossy repellent, though, or stay close to somebody who attracts them more than you. This is not hotel-specific but CR-wide. By the way, the margaritas were also OK.

If you go to the Arenal area, spend an afternoon at one of those hot-water spas. Both you and the kids will love it, once you get over the first shock when you enter a pool where the water is 45 oC hot.
I've read some mixed things about that doubletree. I have a bunch of Hilton points so it'll at least be free. If the beach by the hotel is that bad then we will be more motivated to do a daytrip down to Manuel Antonio. I'm thinking a horseback ride in Arenal and the hot water spas sound good.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Chelski
I agree with this. Stay at a resort, enjoy it.

I'm heading to CR in mid-November and will stay the 1st two nights at Doubletree Puntarenas. I wanted a couple days at the beach for my kids (4 and 3).
Whenever I drive past that hotel I always think it's the oddest place to have a resort, it just doesn't seem to fit in at all. The area around the hotel is pretty grim and the beach there isn't that flash.

If there are any recommendations for cheap hotels in the Arena or Monteverdi area I'd appreciate it. Also, if there is a good location within close proximity to both that's an option.
I was up at Monteverde yesterday. I stayed at the Trapp Family Hotel. I had a suite which cost about AU$115. The rooms were enormous. Very nice, comfortable hotel in a great spot. A bit out of town though.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

Back in March 2012, we rented a car and stayed at 3 different (budget) hotels.

The first one was in Arenal, called Lavas del Arenal:
http://www.lavasdelarenal.com/ which is not much of a budget hotel anymore, if I look at the prices these days. At the end time we paid about $50 per room

In Monteverde we stayed at the Sunset Hotel:
http://www.sunsethotelmonteverde.com

and for the last 6 nights we stayed at the Conchal hotel in Brasilito, which was our favourite by far. Really nice little boutique hotel with great hosts. Good place for day trips as well, to Tamarindo, Playa Grande, Playa Flamingo, Playa del Coco etc.
http://www.conchalcr.com/
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've read some mixed things about that doubletree. I have a bunch of Hilton points so it'll at least be free. If the beach by the hotel is that bad then we will be more motivated to do a daytrip down to Manuel Antonio. I'm thinking a horseback ride in Arenal and the hot water spas sound good.
The DoubleTree is OK - but there's not much to do locally. One can go into Punta Arenas to check it out and have a seafood meal, but there are great day trips out of here.

Drive south - stop at the Tarcoles River to see the American crocodiles (just before is Carrara biological reserve - nice forest walk, scarlet macaws). Don't leave anything of value in the car when it's parked, btw.

South you can find more to do - forest zip lines, a couple of towns with restaurants, etc. and on as far as Jacó, Quepos, Manuel Antonio.

North you can go to Rincón Corobicí where highway 1 crosses the Corobicí River near Cañas and use Ríos Tropicales for some excellent river rafting. Or if driving and visiting sites, stop by for a bite. I've stayed at the nearby lodging and seen (heard!) the troop of howler monkeys that hangs around and exotic critters like boat-billed herons. http://www.riostropicales.com/costa-...rafting-float/

Upland is a beautiful drive as well, lots of views, some places to eat and enjoy the views, see coffee growing (though there's a lot more of this near San José).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Beach & Monkeys

We are headed to Costa Rica in April and would love to stay somewhere close to Manuel Antonio, hopefully close to Ocean or within 5 minutes of walk and would like to see monkey's etc. We are travelling with two kids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.