Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Good neighborhoods to stay in (Panama City)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out where to stay in Panama City (in early September if it makes a difference), and I keep reading contradicting things about all of the neighbourhoods.

Does anyone have insight as to which neighbourhoods are best to stay in? I will be there for approximately 2 days.

Thanks!
Erica
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I think a lot of it depends on your preferences. I enjoy urban experiences and usually stay in mid- to upscale chain hotels where I can earn or use points. When in Panama City, I focus on the El Cangrejo neighborhood, which is a relatively safe area filled with many Hiltons, Hyatts, and Marriotts.

On the other hand, if I were a beach person, I might want to stay in one of the beach areas instead. If I liked to stay in B&Bs and charm-filled, non-chain hotels, I might enjoy staying in Casco Viejo.

What are your preferences? What have you heard or read about the various neighborhoods?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by mikew99
I think a lot of it depends on your preferences. I enjoy urban experiences and usually stay in mid- to upscale chain hotels where I can earn or use points. When in Panama City, I focus on the El Cangrejo neighborhood, which is a relatively safe area filled with many Hiltons, Hyatts, and Marriotts.

On the other hand, if I were a beach person, I might want to stay in one of the beach areas instead. If I liked to stay in B&Bs and charm-filled, non-chain hotels, I might enjoy staying in Casco Viejo.

What are your preferences? What have you heard or read about the various neighborhoods?
I'm a budget traveler (ie, I use airbnb mostly when I travel); my main concerns are safety, and staying somewhere that is central so I can have easy access to things (tourist stuff, and also good places to people watch).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Panama City is relatively small, access to tourist stuff should be easy anywhere within the city limits. For work purpose I stay in Obarrio, have not had any safety concerns even past midnight. It is the bank district so might not be so low-cost compare to other areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.