Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge at SJO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by KLouis
You could have asked!
I did and they seemed to be quite flustered dealing with the large family ahead of us. I didn't get a good answer, just that they recommend I go to the Avianca lounge, which I had just come out of!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
The exclusive lounge off of the Avianca Lounge is limited to "credomatic" branded credit cards. In the past a Platinum AMEX could do the trick, but I believe now only BAC/Credomatic branded cards will get you in.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:47 pm
HBP

Originally Posted by TacaCopaFlyer
The exclusive lounge off of the Avianca Lounge is limited to "credomatic" branded credit cards. In the past a Platinum AMEX could do the trick, but I believe now only BAC/Credomatic branded cards will get you in.
Yep, found this out today. Could only access the Avianca General lounge which provides one complimentary alcoholic drink, or a panini. The VIP lounge upstairs (self pour) seems to only be for the local branded Amex platinum (my Canadian Amex plat did not work).

Avoid the lounge downstairs, IMO.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by HBP
Yep, found this out today. Could only access the Avianca General lounge which provides one complimentary alcoholic drink, or a panini. The VIP lounge upstairs (self pour) seems to only be for the local branded Amex platinum (my Canadian Amex plat did not work).

Avoid the lounge downstairs, IMO.
I was able to access the VIP lounge upstairs on Saturday with my (U.S.) Amex platinum with no problem. I was charged $1 on my Amex-- not sure why and I didn't question it. I've encountered $1 "lifetime membership" in private clubs in the past so that may have been it. My wife was admitted for free.

I thought the lounge was fine; lots of space (at 5:30am), the usual coffee/juice/fruit plus snacks. Wifi connectivity was good and fast. Workspace available, altho at that hour on a Saturday the lights were off in that section.
Old May 13, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by potcake
I was able to access the VIP lounge upstairs on Saturday with my (U.S.) Amex platinum with no problem. I was charged $1 on my Amex-- not sure why and I didn't question it. I've encountered $1 "lifetime membership" in private clubs in the past so that may have been it. My wife was admitted for free.

I thought the lounge was fine; lots of space (at 5:30am), the usual coffee/juice/fruit plus snacks. Wifi connectivity was good and fast. Workspace available, altho at that hour on a Saturday the lights were off in that section.
My girlfriend and I just rolled into the upstairs VIP lounge and were able to get in with a US Plat Amex. No issues. Got here at 6am for the 7:40am DFW flight. This is a very nice lounge for Central America, IMO. Good views of a few gates and the runway, solid wifi, a few decent free breakfast selections (fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, wheat rolls, cold tamales) and a purchase menu if you so desire. Coffee and a few fruit juices as well.

Definitely none of the usual crumbs-in-seat, musky, damp, dusty feeling that seems somewhat standard with Central and South American lounges. A lot of comfortable seating, plenty of windows and natural light.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by corncob
...Definitely none of the usual crumbs-in-seat, musky, damp, dusty feeling that seems somewhat standard with Central and South American lounges...
Elementary, my dear Watson. You've never flown in Africa before!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi there

Travelling with BA and have access to the VIP Santamaria lounge. What's the drink situation? Through a bit of googling and searching on here it appears I may have to pay for drinks, which kind of defeats the point of lounge access IMO.

TIA

Sean
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
With Star Gold and Amex Plat NL, I have only been granted access to the left side of the Aviance lounge on both of my visits here, but no drink chits.

My USAirways now AA Mastercard does grant access to the MC Black section downstairs next to the VIP Club/Copa Club, but trust me it isn't much better than the rest of the CM club downstairs. There is a few extra food itens and grab and go non-alcoholic beverages in the black section. Literally the only benefit to downstairs clubs is 1 free alcoholic beverage per visit. Otherwise, go upstairs
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just as a comparison, I was flying out of SJO last month with the family. We were on Jet Blue so no lounge access - couldn't find much consensus over paid-for lounges so we just hunkered down in Restaurant Malinche by our gate (no. 10)

Fed and watered the five of us for US$60, which seemed like pretty good value for Costa Rica, never mind in the airport!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Latest lounge post overseeds this entry. Content deleted.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Jan 21, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thought I should update;

We were given BP's stamped for the SantaMaria lounge, and on showing these to the staff beer was free. We only had a couple of beers, so cannot comment on other alcoholic drinks.

Didn't sample any of the food.
It was very busy until the Iberia flight before us departed, then thinned out a lot.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Hey @Ariel_SJO:

I'm a little confused by your post, since the Priority Pass website only lists the SJO-VIP lounge as a benefit for my PP Select membership via my Plat AMEX.

Are you saying we can access the Santamaría VIP lounge just by showing our Platinum AMEX, á-la Centurion Lounge? It seems like that's what @corncob was indicating as well back in May, but I just want to confirm since I can't find any listing of this lounge associated with my [USA-issued, personal] AMEX.

ty!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by brizone
Hey @Ariel_SJO:

I'm a little confused by your post, since the Priority Pass website only lists the SJO-VIP lounge as a benefit for my PP Select membership via my Plat AMEX.

Are you saying we can access the Santamaría VIP lounge just by showing our Platinum AMEX, á-la Centurion Lounge? It seems like that's what @corncob was indicating as well back in May, but I just want to confirm since I can't find any listing of this lounge associated with my [USA-issued, personal] AMEX.

ty!
I am not sure if an US-issued AMEX Platinum entitles you to access the Avianca/Credomatic (Santamaria VIP) Lounge, either the general lounge or the Platinum lounge. But it is definitely true for Credomatic (Costa Rica) Issued AMEX Platinum Cards. I'm sorry for not helping you on this one. But I'll ask the next time I visit that lounge.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
I am not sure if an US-issued AMEX Platinum entitles you to access the Avianca/Credomatic (Santamaria VIP) Lounge, either the general lounge or the Platinum lounge. But it is definitely true for Credomatic (Costa Rica) Issued AMEX Platinum Cards. I'm sorry for not helping you on this one. But I'll ask the next time I visit that lounge.
According to my PP iP app, the only PP lounge at SJO is the VIP "in front of Gate 5."

I will be flying DL business but may have a guest which might send me to the PP lounge rather than whatever DL uses at SJO.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
According to my PP iP app, the only PP lounge at SJO is the VIP "in front of Gate 5."

I will be flying DL business but may have a guest which might send me to the PP lounge rather than whatever DL uses at SJO.
It is correct, PP guests can only access the VIP Lounge (Copa Airlines/MasterCard) on the lower level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.