Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Daytime layover in Panama City - what can I see and do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'll be flying LAX > PTY > MDE in late August on COPA. I do not have any status with them and will be traveling in Y.

I will have two 8 hour stopovers (arrive 10:30 - dept 18:54, arrive 10:42 - dept 19:02) in PTY. I am wondering if it is feasible to see on one layover the Panama Canal at Miraflores, and on the second head into the city and see some of the historical sights. Or is it possible to do both in one day?

If it is possible, what are my options for transportation? Is it possible to hire an English speaking taxi driver for the day? What would the expected rates be?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2014 at 10:00 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:35 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
You could easily go to the canal or the city (or both if you want to push it) in that time.

Last month in 5 hours, I saw Panama Viejo (the ruins), the Canal, and had a bite to eat at multiplaza mall.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:46 am

one note on the Canal, thips only pass in the early morning and mid to late afternoon. The Miraflores locks which is the main viewing area for tourists is at one end and ships only go through the locks in daylight. So you'll see them going in or coming out, you shouldn't go mid day because you won't see any ships. I would recomend calling as soon as you land to find out the current schedule. Before you go to the locks you can hit up Panama Viejo. As for the mall I think mkt is refering to the Albrook Mall. It is a nice mall, but nothing special for someone from San Diego, and isn't full of good deals the way street shops are.

If you have the money, one option would be to hire a guide to take you to a Embera village. You wouldn't need them to pick you up at the airport and take you back since it is a long trip. You would probably have about two hours in the village. I went there with http://www.emberavillagetours.com/.

As for the english speaking driver I am sure there are services, however most drivers know a few works and english and can take you where ever you want. Keep in mind just because he speaks english doesn't mean he is a good guide or knows what he is talking about.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 8, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reason: correct names for easier searching / arrangements / orientation
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:07 pm

Yes, you can def do Miraflores and city on same day (make sure you go panama viejo).
Also, Ancon Hill is a nice walk (part way up...see monkeys and toucans/macaws)
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Just a follow up for anyone else that may have the same question.

I was able to do one 7 hour stopover in PTY. Was able to see Panama Viejo, Casco Viejo, Mira Flores Locks, fish market, and have a quick and tasty ceviche at the Causeway.

I hired an excellent guide, Rene from yourmaninpanama.com. He provided transport and was able to explain in excellent English historical information about the sights and museums. I highly recommend him if you need a tour guide in Panama.

Please PM me if you would like further information.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
one note on the Canael, thips only pass in the early morning and mid to late afternoon. The mayflower locks which is the main viewing area for tourists is at one end and ships only go through the locks in daylight. So you'll see them going in or coming out, you shouldn't go mid day because you won't see any ships. I would recomend calling as soon as you land to find out the current schedule. Before you go to the locks you can hit up Panama Viejo. As for the mall I think mkt is refering to the Albrok Mall. It is a nice mall, but nothing special for someone from San Diego, and isn't full of good deals the way street shops are.
This is not accurate. The ships pass through the locks 24hrs/day. There is no good time to go to the Miraflores Locks. You will almost always see some vessels going through. Also, there's a nice museum there to visit while waiting for a vessel.

The Albrook Mall is the lower-end mall out of the big three in Panama City. MultiPlaza is the nice one with the Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, Rolex and all the other high end stores. MultiCentro is the mid-level mall. Both MultiPlaza and MultiCentro are fairly close to each other and more downtown than Albrook.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:53 am

There's some helpful suggestions of things to do both inside and outside of the airport at this website including tips on how to best get around -- http://www.layoverguide.com/2009/12/...ty-panama.html
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by csakamoto
I'll be flying LAX > PTY > MDE in late August on COPA. I do not have any status with them and will be traveling in Y.

I will have two 8 hour stopovers (arrive 10:30 - dept 18:54, arrive 10:42 - dept 19:02) in PTY. I am wondering if it is feasible to see on one layover the Panama Canal at Miraflores, and on the second head into the city and see some of the historical sights. Or is it possible to do both in one day?

If it is possible, what are my options for transportation? Is it possible to hire an English speaking taxi driver for the day? What would the expected rates be?

Thanks for your help.
Check with "My Friend Mario" for all your sightseeing needs: http://www.myfriendmario.com/
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I have one of these 8ish-hour layovers coming up and will be doing a bit of touring... Is there a place to store luggage at PTY airport? I won't have too much (small duffle bag and a briefcase) but would prefer to leave that someplace rather than take it with me for the day.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just a quick report... I am in PTY now, nearly at the end of my 10-hour connection (the JFK-MEX deal on Copa). I did the day tour with Mario from www.myfriendmario.com and was very happy with it. I compared with some of the other guides mentioned on this site, and found Mario to offer comparable service for a much better price. I recommend him.

I was able to see most of the sights around Panama City in the time of my layover. I want to clarify one of the items discussed earlier in the thread. According to the information I saw at Miraflores, there are gaps in the times that the ships pass - apparently there is one-way traffic at certain parts of the canal system and so there are quiet times. I went in the mid-afternoon (3-4pm) and there were ships approaching in both lanes, but apparently there were no ships from about 9am to about 2pm today.

I really enjoyed my first taste of Panama on this layover and would look forward to coming back to spend more time here.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gary_nj
I have one of these 8ish-hour layovers coming up and will be doing a bit of touring... Is there a place to store luggage at PTY airport? I won't have too much (small duffle bag and a briefcase) but would prefer to leave that someplace rather than take it with me for the day.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!
I would like to know if someone has an answer for this question. I have a 10 hours layover and plan on going into the city. I will check my bag but will carry my computer and really do not want to take it with me on a tour. Also, if I buy a bottle of liquor (I collect liquor from all countries I visit) will I be ale to bring back through security or will they sell Panamanian liquor at duty free on other side that I can bring on plane to MEX?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: LH, Qantas
Originally Posted by thepla
I would like to know if someone has an answer for this question. I have a 10 hours layover and plan on going into the city. I will check my bag but will carry my computer and really do not want to take it with me on a tour. Also, if I buy a bottle of liquor (I collect liquor from all countries I visit) will I be ale to bring back through security or will they sell Panamanian liquor at duty free on other side that I can bring on plane to MEX?
When I was there I did not see any. And according to the info in their web page it does not look like there is.

http://www.tocumenpanama.aero/index....et_language=en

There are few shops selling liquor in the airport. In fact, it looks like a bazaar with a few scattered gates to planes surrounded by all kinds of shops selling everything having to do with electronics, video, ....
Old May 16, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood
We used CSAKamoto's guide recommendation -- Rene of yourmaninpanama.com. Rene's email is on his site. Excellent choice. An educated man who knows his Panama history extremely well, and was prompt and professional.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:55 pm
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Just saw on the US travel website that

"As of April 2010, U.S. tourists arriving by air or road are permitted to stay in Panama for 180 days, without obtaining a visa. U.S. citizens entering Panama by commercial flight as tourists will be charged a $5.00 tourist fee when they purchase their travel ticket. To obtain a multiple entry visa, please contact the Panamanian Embassy or a Panamanian Consulate before traveling."

DId anyone on a LONG lay over here have a problem getting in/out of customs since clearly we were not charged that since it was supposed to just be a lay over?
Thanks
Old May 1, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by rockferd
Just saw on the US travel website that

"As of April 2010, U.S. tourists arriving by air or road are permitted to stay in Panama for 180 days, without obtaining a visa. U.S. citizens entering Panama by commercial flight as tourists will be charged a $5.00 tourist fee when they purchase their travel ticket. To obtain a multiple entry visa, please contact the Panamanian Embassy or a Panamanian Consulate before traveling."

DId anyone on a LONG lay over here have a problem getting in/out of customs since clearly we were not charged that since it was supposed to just be a lay over?
Thanks
You can go through customs without any problems; even with PTY as a layover. Your fees were already included in your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.