Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica & Belize

Costa Rica & Belize

Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Costa Rica & Belize

We will be spending about 10 nights in each country this December. How necessary is it to rent a 4WD vehicle in either country? Can we get away with a compact or something cheaper? I have heard so many horror stories about renting cars in both countries I'm very skeptical.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Where will you be in each country? I think that's the deciding factor.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA
As SJOGuy says, it depends on what you need. Renting cars in either country is not cheap. In all probability you won't need 4WD, but where you're going will answer that. Also, how many of you traveling? Big SUVs are hard to find if not impossible.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

It will be just the two of us traveling. In Belize we only planned to rent a car for four days for the drive to/from BZE to San Ignacio. In Costa Rica we fly in to SJO and fly out of LIR. Spending half the time in Escazu and the other in Guanacaste. Planned to visit volcanos, rain forests, beaches, etc.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:07 pm

That's still not enough information to give a definitive answer to your question. There are "volcanoes, rain forests, beaches, etc." in Guanacaste that are best reached with 4WD. Others, not.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:58 pm

For the drive from BZE to San Ignacio, it's a 2 lane paved road, and and if that's all your doing, any basic car will do. If you want to go to Caracol, or anywhere off the main road, 4wd is mandatory.

As to SJO to Guanacaste, SJOGuy is right, there's a lot you can do that may require a sturdier car, but more specific information and destinations are needed to make an appropriate recommendation.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Sorry for being so vague, but I haven't really locked in our itinerary yet, at least not for CR. We did want to do Caracol and ATM in Belize but I was told that guides are required for those sites, so we will be going through a company for those tours. For self tours I was thinking about Rio On Pools, Big Rock Falls, Rio Frio Cave or Xunantunich. We will be staying at the Black Rock Lodge in San Ignacio and spending one night at the BZ zoo for the night tour. I made a general list of interesting things to do in CR but haven't narrowed anything down yet or made tour reservations:

Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Arenal National Park, Rincon de la Vieja, Irazu National Park, volcanoes (Miravalles, Tenorio, Poas, Irazu, Turrialba), hot springs, Orosi Valley, surfing, beaches, Manuel Antonio National Park, La Paz Waterfalls, downtown San José, Manuel Antonio National Park, cross Lake Arenal to La Fortuna, Monteverde, Sky Trek, Tabacon Hot Springs, Pacuare River, zip lining, Poas Volcano, Selva Biological Research Rain Forest, Limon Sloth Sanctuary.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:15 am

You'll want 4WD going:

to and from Monteverde
between Monteverde and Arenal/La Fortuna
Arenal National Park - if going into the park itself
Rincon de la Vieja volcano
Miravalles volcano
Tenorio volcano

I would skip trying to get to the Turrialba volcano. The level of activity these days is too great that they don't let anybody go up there.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks SJOGuy, what about Belize...is it necessary there too? I've heard that we may need it to get up to the Black Rock Lodge.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Thanks SJOGuy, what about Belize...is it necessary there too? I've heard that we may need it to get up to the Black Rock Lodge.
You'll definitely need 4wd. ATM requires a guide, you do not need one for Caracol, but it helps once there.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Darian, so I contacted a Alamo in Belize and they have a Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup and a Ford Escape with AWD available. I researched the differences between 4WD & AWD, but am still uncertain as to which one would suffice? Obviously the 4x4 has better traction but I'm concerned about traveling with our luggage in a pickup truck...is the AWD vehicle sufficient enough?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:50 pm

Awd is fine for what you'll need. Go with the escape, don't leave your luggage exposed.

Also, in Costa Rica, never ever ever NEVER EVER AT ALL leave luggage unattended in a rental vehicle. When you park your rental car, don't even leave a small bag in sight, you'll get robbed, full stop. Can't emphasize that enough. It's a very safe country, but petty crime against tourists is widespread.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Got it thanks for your help Darian and SJOGuy
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Which credit card is best to use for both Central America car rentals? I know insurance is mandatory in Costa Rica. I've heard some cardholders print out agreements to prove car rental insurance coverages.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:02 pm

They will not accept that type of insurance coverage in Costa Rica. You must buy the local basic insurance, period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.