Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Your favorite destination in Central America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite destination in Central America?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:30 am

My 2 front runners:
- guatemala but security can be an issue. It has everything one might expect
- nicaragua: i had 2 wonderful weeks there. i felt safer there than anywhere else in Central America. Lots of sights and nice people. Equivalent to Costa Rica but much cheaper and less "gringoizado"

Belize is a someone said not really CA: for me it jas not the latino flavor
Honduras is really risky. roatan is of for divers otherwise one week might be long

Panama is US transplanted in Central America. But San Blas archipelago is very nice for a robinson Crusoe experience

Salvador is ok , security can be an issue (maras), but above all hard to see what to do during one full week

Costa Rica can be a good choice for a first timer. i do not have any really cons, just simply not my first personal choice
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:57 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If food is a priority, I'd say El Salvador.

Also, if Pompeii interests you, Joya de Cerén might too.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bebert
Honduras is really risky. roatan is of for divers otherwise one week might be long
I'd like to visit Tegucigalpa and possibly find out where William Walker made landfall.

Bad idea?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by mktgmgr
Through some unusual luck, I've been given an opportunity to visit anywhere in Central America for 1 week, all expenses paid by a happy client.
Costa Rica is decidedly more expensive than Nicaragua. Since all expenses are covered, visit here for this trip. If you've enjoyed yourself, visit Nicaragua on your own.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'd like to visit Tegucigalpa and possibly find out where William Walker made landfall.

Bad idea?
Tegus is murder capital of the world, or close to it.

Bad idea? You decide.

Me? I would not go, and I've been to San Pedro Sula (and Ruinas Copan), though it's been a few years.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento

Bad idea?
I have a good friend now living in Panama who classifies Honduras and Tegucigalpa (and SPS) as "lawless". He would not return and he lived there for over a decade.

I have a friend here in Managua that tried to expand his business to Tegucigalpa and he and his partner did not even want to leave their apart-hotel and left never to go back within a month.

Crime is a pretty big issue, Guatemala as well.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fragola
Costa Rica is decidedly more expensive than Nicaragua. Since all expenses are covered, visit here for this trip. If you've enjoyed yourself, visit Nicaragua on your own.
Indeed it is. Take Managua prices, double them and you have SJO prices. Hotels are not that different but food sure is. Example - can of coke in Managua is C$12 or about 48 cents US. SJO it is $1.10.

There are pluses. Buses are safe enough for gringos to use, taxis use meters and are not that costly, and it is not as oppressively hot, but boy howdy prepare to pay as much as in North America for overhead.

If you go to SJO better hotels will sell the airport tax certificate and that saves a lot of time at the airport so ask them.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Guatemala is a good place to base your travels around CA. Antigua is nice, and Panajachel is stunning on a good day! Pacaya is a nice easy climb with great views, especially at dusk!

You can also travel to Tikal and Copan quite easily (Copan was the highlight of my trip - there were hardly any visitors when I went (12/2014), and it's really well maintained).
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by im.daniel
You can also travel to Tikal and Copan quite easily (Copan was the highlight of my trip - there were hardly any visitors when I went (12/2014), and it's really well maintained).
Not too many visitors when I was there either, but while VERY close to the border, it is in Honduras

Sadly, I waited a little too long, and missed my opportunity to fly nonstop to Tikal when CO used to fly there twice a week with regional jets
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not too many visitors when I was there either, but while VERY close to the border, it is in Honduras

Sadly, I waited a little too long, and missed my opportunity to fly nonstop to Tikal when CO used to fly there twice a week with regional jets
Oh yes! I think I saw (either in this thread/or another) that someone wanted to fly into TGU/SAP to get into Copan. However, getting there from Antigua/Guatemala City is also another viable (maybe easier/safer???) option!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by im.daniel
that someone wanted to fly into TGU/SAP to get into Copan. However, getting there from Antigua/Guatemala City is also another viable (maybe easier/safer???) option!
IIRC there's a nonstop bus from SAP, TGU is way too far by bus.

From what I recall you can get to Copan from GUA - but it's the only large airport in country with int'l service.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
IIRC there's a nonstop bus from SAP, TGU is way too far by bus.

From what I recall you can get to Copan from GUA - but it's the only large airport in country with int'l service.
It is possible to get from Guatemala to Copán Ruins (It's very close to the Guatemala border). That route is covered by tourist "shuttle" mini buses. That go from Copán to tourist destinations like Antigua and Guatemala.

http://gekkotrailsexplorer.com/

SAP is the closest airport to Copan Ruins.

Hedman Alas offers bus service between SAP and Copan Ruins. That's on a comfortable bus and not a chicken bus

http://www.hedmanalas.com/
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by higo
Hedman Alas offers bus service between SAP and Copan Ruins. That's on a comfortable bus and not a chicken bus
I've taken it, and will vouch for quality ^

OK, not from the airport (arrived way too late), but next day from central San Pedro Sula.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Favorite ruins: Tikal (Guatemala)
Favorite city: Panama City
Favorite scuba diving: Utila and Roatan (Honduras)
Favorite surfing: Costa del Balsamo (El Salvador)
Favorite place to lose a week: Puerto Viejo (Costa Rica)
Favorite colonial town: Antigua (Guatemala)
Favorite island: Ometepe (Nicaragua)
Favorite beer: Belikin Stout (Belize)
Favorite lake: Atitlan (Guatemala)
Favorite history: Nicaragua

How's that for a diplomatic answer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.