Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Connecting at GUA from Avianca (domestic) to United (international) on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at GUA from Avianca (domestic) to United (international) on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Hi,

I am flying out of GUA to IAH United on a Sunday in July at 2:01 PM. I am spending the Saturday night in Flores, and flying in on Sunday morning from FRS on Avianca arriving in GUA at 09:10 AM. This is on two separate PNRs.

How reliable is Avianca? Should I be worried about the Avianca flight being cancelled and me missing my UA flight? There seems to be only two Avianca flights a day from FRS to GUA, one in the morning and one at night. So the only other option is to come the night before, but I would rather not do that.

I am United Premier Gold, and I believe there is Copa Club at GUA. So I would rather fly in from FRS that morning and check into the UA flight as soon as the counters open and hangout in the lounge, rather than come the night before and take a taxi to and from a hotel close to the airport.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
All I can tell you is that the times I've flown GUA-FRS-GUA, it's been fine and things have been reasonably on time. But all it would take would be a mechanical or weather delay or cancellation and, poof, there go your plans. No one can predict that. Personally, I would never risk this on separate PNRs. I tend to be overly cautious. I would fly back and spend the night before in Guatemala City.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Flights cancellations are unpredictable, but Guatemala is a bit more prone to weather-related problems than the average airport due to the terrain and only having an ILS when landing to the north.

I really wouldn't worry about being cancelled though. You can't predict it. If you must be back in the US on Sunday, I would suggest flying to GUA on Saturday night. Otherwise, just enjoy the trip. If you do mis-connect, my anecdotal experience is that UA in GUA will accommodate you on the next flight with an available seat.

Once you land in GUA you will be able to check in right away. I think the UA counters open around 330am. The Copa Club is quite small but never crowded. They have Wi-Fi and power plugs at every table. Snacks are very limited though.

Last edited by cmhua777; May 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.