Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panama City Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Panama City Hotels

I have two days in Panama City and would like to use points to stay at either a Club Carlson property (Raddison or Country Inn) or IHG property (Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Intercontinental, or Crowne Plaza), but not sure which one to choose. I'd like a property that provides a free shuttle from the airport, but not clear that one exists. I'd also like a hotel with good proximity to beach for swimming and possibly snorkeling, as well as to nature/wildlife viewing. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I don't think there are any free shuttles, but I could be wrong. I am positive there are no - zero, none- swimable beaches anywhere in Panama City. You'll have to go at least a ways out of town for that. Best beaches are at least hour and a half away or more. Any hotel in town can get you to Gamboa or some other nearby part of the jungle.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Darian
I don't think there are any free shuttles, but I could be wrong. I am positive there are no - zero, none- swimable beaches anywhere in Panama City. You'll have to go at least a ways out of town for that. Best beaches are at least hour and a half away or more.
Agree. There are definitely no swimmable beaches in Panama City.

The closest international name-brand hotel to MPTO is probably the new Westin but I have no idea if they have a shuttle or not.

For one with a sense of adventure and a little knowledge of Spanish an excellent daytrip from Panama City is to rent a car and drive to the town of Portobelo on the Caribbean coast E of Colon. From Portobelo you can hire a local fisherman to take you to some beautiful and isolated beaches accessible only by boat. You may be the only ones on the beach.

May I hijack this thread now by asking another PTY hotel question? I have a conference at the Trump Ocean Club but the hotel is sold out. I would really like to stay within walking distance of the Trump. Are there any other hotels in Punta Pacifica?

Are any of the "mainland" hotels close to the Trump (Hard Rock, Radisson Decapolis) actually walkable to/from Trump Ocean Club? Map makes them look pretty close but not knowing about the state of streets and sidewalks in Punta Pacifica or how easy it is to dodge traffic and get under the viaduct I don't know if they are safely walkable.

My usual PTY hotel is Le Meridien but would like to try something different this time and, most importanly, be close to the conference location at the Trump.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I'm not super familiar with that part of PTY, but I seem to recall there are pedestrian bridges there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.