Wiki Posts
Search

Help adjusting itinerary in Panama

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Help adjusting itinerary in Panama

Hello,
I'm planning a 14 day trip to Panama from mid to late May and was wondering if what I've got planned is good.

We're supposed to arrive at PTY at 1:20am, and from there I plan on taking the 5:30am bus to David where we'll stay somewhere in that area. My first question is what can I do in between 1:20am and 5:30am. Can we sleep in the airport?

The bust would take us to Western Panama where I plan on staying for 8 days doing outdoors things like hiking, but I don't really know the area so advice on where to hike would be great. We are open to doing a multi-day hike that involves camping as well. We're all college-aged men that are in good shape and just want to have an adventure. I'm also open to sleeping in cabins or condo's or whatever I can find that doesn't have the hotel "super-tourist" feel. Something with a kitchen would be nice for part of the western portion of the trip.

The next portion of the trip is taking the midnight express bus back to Panama City from David and getting into Panama City at 6am. From there I was going to rent a cabin on isla contadora, just south of Panama City, and take the ferry there to stay for about four days. I was wondering if anyone had been to those islands and if so what could be done in that time.

For the last day or days, depending on travel times and dates, we would stay in Panama City. If anyone has suggestions of a hostel or hotel or anything in Panama City that would be great.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
A good guidebook to Panama would serve you well at this point. It would help you clarify a lot of these very general questions you have.

PTY is quite far from Panama City. By the time you factor in immigration and customs and the need to get to the bus terminal, you will have nowhere near four hours to kill.

No one spends much time in David. It's a hot, sweltering, small, business-oriented city. For me, the real attractions in that area are Boquete and Volcan and Cerro Punta, all about 90 minutes north of David. All are at higher elevations (3,000-6,000 feet) and are much cooler. There are a lot of great hikes in that area. That's my favorite part of Panama. All have some decent budget accommodations too.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Amex GLD
Santa Catalina

We rented a car- inexpensive- and went from Panama City to Santa Catalina; we were happy we did. The coast is great, the town is laid back and safe, and the island of Coiba is pristine. Can recommend Coiba Scuba Diving (see on FB) for diving and snorkeling. We heared that Bocas has a bit of a crime problem, and met a person on the plane on the way back that told us that Contadora is run down and the coast has been exploited a bit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.