Panama City Airport (PTY) to downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Panama City Airport (PTY) to downtown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Is it acceptable to pay a cab driver in USD, or do I need to be sure to get local currency? Also, are airport taxis safe?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Is it acceptable to pay a cab driver in USD, or do I need to be sure to get local currency? Also, are airport taxis safe?
The US dollar is legal currency in Panama.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
The US dollar is legal currency in Panama.
They have (had when I visited) their own coins, but yes, like some Latin American countries US$ is the local currency. Only remember the quarter, and it was exactly the same size and shape as US coin.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:07 pm

Off topic" but very much related: True, US$ is the "local currency" (officially called Balboa but beware; I was not able to cash-in AmEx-issued US$ travellers checks in several banks in Panama City.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:29 pm

Figured I'd post about a recent experience. Flew into PTY on a midday flight. Cleared customs and immigration, ignored all the touts shouting "TAXI, AMIGO!?" and followed the "TAXI" signs in the arrivals hall outside to the taxi stand, which is located beyond the covered arrivals lanes.

Fare was set at $30.00 USD for a ride downtown, which is posted on a sign and was shown to me by the taxi stand assistant. Be prepared to have an address to where you're going, even if you think of it as a more common location (I was going to the Hilton and the driver still wanted the address). If it's inconvenient, taxi drivers may refuse to take you there.

Be prepared with a smaller bill (a few $1 notes or a $5) in case you are asked for a tip by the taxi stand assistant. I was very aggressively asked for a tip and luckily had a $5 to give the man. If you only have $20s (or worse), don't expect change from the tip-seeking taxi stand assistant. Someone else on the MR only had $20s, and the guy was gone like lightning after he handed it over. If you don't tip when asked by the man, don't expect the taxi to move.

Cab drivers seem are better about giving change.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Be prepared with a smaller bill (a few $1 notes or a $5) in case you are asked for a tip by the taxi stand assistant.
The going fare is $30 to "downtown". The sophisticated traveler will ignore all the 3rd world distractions from taxi touts and tip seekers and proceed, face forward and with consternation, to the taxi stand outside the terminal and beyond the overhead covering. There, just hop in a white vehicle and announce your destination.

Actually, there is no "taxi stand", but instead just a line of white vehicles waiting. Go to the first one. Tip at your discretion.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
The sophisticated traveler will ignore all the 3rd world distractions from taxi touts and tip seekers and proceed, face forward and with consternation, to the taxi stand outside the terminal and beyond the overhead covering.
Indeed.

Reminds me of the time I got out of the taxi in Costa Rica, opened the door for my companion, and just as she was getting out of the car the tout arrived, touched the door and held out his hand

Politely I said in Spanish: Propina for what? You didn't do anything.

Did not mean he put his hand away.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Uber in Panama City is great - addresses sometimes difficult to find, but you can travel anywhere in the City for about $5-6. I've used it to and from the airport without issue as well, though I can't recall the cost, wasn't much though.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA
Uber Black from downtown will cost you $35 + the $2.65 for the tolls on the Corredor Sur.

I haven't used an uber yet without them calling immediately to further nail down the pickup location, regardless of how obvious it appears.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I live in Panama City and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with a lot of uber drivers who 1) do not know the city and have no clue where even the most common destinations are located or how to get there 2) do not call you if they cant find you. Once I ended up in El Chorillo (the very trashy part located just off Casco Viejo), because the guy was tampering with his Waze, just to get to the airport. Seriously dude? I am usually extremely patient (you learn patience in Panama...), but this guy was such a useless idiot that I made no effort in hiding my frustration with him.

Getting ubers from Tocumen can also be a royal pain in the ..., with the warfare the regular taxi drivers are runing against Uber.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
I always walk upstairs, stop a yellow taxi and say to the driver:
"QUINCE BALBOAS AL CENTRO..." ($15 to downtown).
They will reply: "MMMM.... VEINTICINCO" ($25).
And my final offer: "VEINTE, NO MÁS" (20, not more). And they agree.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
I always walk upstairs, stop a yellow taxi and say to the driver:
"QUINCE BALBOAS AL CENTRO..." ($15 to downtown).
They will reply: "MMMM.... VEINTICINCO" ($25).
And my final offer: "VEINTE, NO MÁS" (20, not more). And they agree.
It's not legal for the taxi drivers to pick up passengers upstairs by departures.
You may get into trouble. Never wondered why there's police up there?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by Milkman
It's not legal for the taxi drivers to pick up passengers upstairs by departures.
You may get into trouble. Never wondered why there's police up there?
And how airport employees take a taxi from the airport to get home?
I don't care about police, that will be a driver's problem, not mine.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ariel_sjo
And how airport employees take a taxi from the airport to get home?
I don't care about police, that will be a driver's problem, not mine.
Public transportation?
You think the poor CM cabin crew that make a miserable 800 USD a month can afford cabs to and from the airport?

I wouldnt be so cocky, but go ahead and get yourself into trouble.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Milkman
I wouldnt be so cocky, but go ahead and get yourself into trouble.
+1. Remember that you're dealing with police in Panama. I wouldn't be so cavalier, personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.