Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Best Hotel in San Salvador

Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat

Hello all, Im having trouble deciding on a hotel in San Salvador. I will be there for a couple day business trip and it seems to be a tossup between the intercontinental, hilton, sheraton and crown plaza.

Any experience? Thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I have stayed at all of these hotels except the Crowne Plaza. Here are my thoughts.

The Hilton and Sheraton are very close to each other, in the Zona Rosa, and I like both. The Princess Hiltons throughout CentAm are all the same, they go for a classic, 'old world' look. The Sheraton is a bit more modern in decor, but don't recall it being anything but average. Either one is fine.

The Intercontinental is in a different part of town, next to city's largest shopping mall. So if shopping/movies are on the agenda - and not nightlife - I would choose this hotel. Much like the Princess Hiltons, the Interncontinentals in the region are also very similar. This hotel is a lot like the Inters in Honduras, for example.

If neighborhood doesn't matter, than all things equal the Inter is the winner. It has the best restaurants (and selection), nicest common areas, and a nice pool.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
I fear my advice may be too late but I always stay at the Intercontinental. Its the nicest hotel but not in a great area. I would recommend the Marriott Courtyard as its a nice hotel but also next to La Gran Via, which is the nicest place for me to go out in SS
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Hi there - useful information in this thread, thank you.

How are the locations of the Crowne Plaza or Sheraton for sightseeing, or nightlife? As I understand it, the Intercontinental is a good hotel next to nice amenities, but hindered by its location.

Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:08 pm

The words sightseeing and San Salvador don't really go together. The country certainly has places of interest, but no so much the city. You can arrange a city tour from any of the hotels, but I doubt it would include anything more than a drive around some of the neighborhoods and a stop downtown to view a few of the churches.

Nightlife is closer to the Sheraton than the Crowne Plaza. There are places in Zona Rosa that are within walking distance of the Sheraton and La Gran Via in Santa Tecla is a close drive.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:13 am

Thank you, that's useful Yes, I'm aware San Salvador is not a dream vacation destination but I tend to value proximity to places of interest above hotel facilities. I think a short day trip out of town might be in order?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Thank you, that's useful Yes, I'm aware San Salvador is not a dream vacation destination but I tend to value proximity to places of interest above hotel facilities. I think a short day trip out of town might be in order?
of course the Sheraton
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have a stay over in SAL, coming in from Costa Rica back to the States.

Would you recommend going that far out for a 12 hour layover? I'd prefer to stay close to the airport, but I am worried about safety.

TIA!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:59 am

You shouldn't have any safety worries - I thought everything was fine, as long as you exercise basic common sense and situational awareness.

Your only small problem is that the airport is a long way from the city (a good 30 minutes drive, maybe longer in traffic) - so much so that you could even consider a more interesting night on the pretty coast instead, although I would highly recommend pre-arranging a driver for that. I can recommend a tour/driver company that I used can give you options, if you need. Otherwise city hotels are fine. There's nothing out at the airport.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:00 pm

The airport is a healthy distance from the city. If your 12-hour layover is from 8pm - 8am, I would suggest staying near the airport. This isn't for safety, rather for convenience. There is not much near the airport, so if you choose this option simply plan on staying at your hotel.

If you think you will want to go out during your 12 hours, then go to the city. Taking precautions is prudent (e.g., don't wear nice jewelry, walk with purpose), but anywhere the hotel is going to suggest you go will be fine (and guarded).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I really liked the Crown Plaza, it has a little pedestrian bridge to a secured dining & nightlife area, with great views.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.