Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize Hotel For SCUBA - Whats The Best Reward Program?

Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I am hoping to spend my honeymoon in Belize. We want to get our certification for SCUBA while we are there. I have amassed a bunch of United miles and Chase Ultimate Rewards for the trip (March 2013). I am looking for some recommendations on hotels to stay at that I can possibly use my Ultimate Rewards points on. I am also open to churning a card or two just for hotel points...but I dont know which of all the major chains has hotels there in Belize.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
You won’t find much in the way of hotel chains in Belize, especially where the diving is. The most popular diving destination in Belize is Ambergris Caye and there are zero chains… all independent. Other diving destinations in Belize, like Placencia, also have no chain hotels. For what it’s worth, generally, you can find reasonably cheap accommodations at many of the dive sites.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Take your pool and classroom work in the US, get a referral to a dive operation at your destination and save yourself some scutwork on your honeymoon.

In fact, I recommend Cozumel (Mexico) over Belize - better dive operations, lots of things to do, better food, fewer sand flies and biteys. A good way to dive is Aldora Divers - and they have a really nice villa with various accommodations on the north (non-cruise ship) side of town. All their divemasters are PADI instructors, they set you up with steel tanks, longer bottom times, computers, fast six passenger boats to get you to the best spots.

Yes, I have dived Belize (and Honduras, Mexico and ~40 other countries), a Master Diver with 56 years of experience. (Ah, heck, go to Bali! )
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
JDiver, where would you recommend staying in Cozumel? I was looking to take a scuba trip (first one) in the fall.. traveling from Denver.

I was looking at Hotel Cozumel (http://www.deepbluecozumel.com/index.php?page=hotel) which has some inclusive deals with room\gear rental.

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Cit1.

I'll reply in the Mexico Forum - go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...g-cozumel.html
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one of the best places in the carob is the keys. another good place is bonaire. bvi was also good. belize was pretty screwed up when i visited there. not a place for beginners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.