Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica AI: Hilton Papagayo or Westin Playa Conchal?

Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm looking for some help on a trip to the beach in Costa Rica. Our trip isn't all-beach, but for the last part, we want to relax and enjoy.

Two adults and two teenagers, we like good food and relaxing and adventuring.

Not sure which hotel to choose of these two. We also considered the JW Marriott, but the price is about the same, and it's not AI, so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Each hotel comes to close to $1000/night for the four of us - well more than we generally pay for this kind of thing, so we'd like to get the most for our money.

I'm a gold with both Starwood and Hilton, but a Hilton Gold seems to see a lot more benefits.

Hilton Papagayo advantages:

-I can maybe use points for one room, halving my cash outlay
-More private beach
-Good chance at a room upgrade
-Free internet from my status
-As far as I can tell, more included activities, plus there's a note that things like scuba diving are available for a "minimal" additional charge (although when we're talking about $1K/night, I guess "minimal" could still be substantial to me.)

Westin Playa Conchal advantages:

-Sounds like it has better food.
-Rooms look a little nicer in pictures, plus we actually buy the nonsense about the heavenly beds.
-Beach sounds nicer, but more public.

Has anyone been to both resorts? Is either head-and-shoulders beyond the other?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:08 pm

There are some reviews of the Westin property in the SPG thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17190917-post83.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15953869-post36.html

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95684586@N00/

Just from word of mouth and photos I would lean towards the Westin. If they are giving Starpoints for the $1,000 a night spent on the room(s) that could equal a pretty valuable sum of Starpoints. Not sure when your trip is but there is a promo with SPG where you can earn 2/3 x's points. The Westin Playa Conchal is not listed on the non-participating hotel list. So if the rooms were in your name you could earn up to 7,000 points per night.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm definitely leaning the same way, especially since I think I can use SPG points for one of the rooms. So the cash outlay is about the same either way.

Still digging, though.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:02 am

Which hotel did you stay at? Were you happy with your choice?
Old May 31, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Playa Conchal, and yes, we were pretty happy.

In the end, I think we probably aren't really the all-inclusive types. We like to adventure into town and get more of a local flavor.

But the kids enjoyed it, and it was very relaxing. The restaurants were actually better than we expected. Service around the resort was just OK - there were a few maintenance issues that, while they did get fixed, took a bit too long.

Pool was nice, crowd was fine. Beach had a red tide while we were there, but it was still pretty good. One day we went to Playa Grande, which was just a perfect beach for boogie boarding.

We never ventured to the Hilton, so I can't compare, but for the price, the Westin was fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.