Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BryanL
If dining or shopping or staying at City of Dreams, make sure you remember that they offer Asia Miles: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/earn/...0007d21c39RCRD
i think they didnt have the offer when i was there. anyway my transaction was only 300HKD.

btw, for those shops who refuse to take AMEX due to a broken machine, i always just tell them to call the card center. AND if they refuse to take AMEX all together, i found it really pleasant to call AMEX helpline to complain unlike other credit cards.
as always never tried in PRC (cuz i've never spent a buck there for the last 5 years min)

btw percysmith, i just saw this and cant be bothered to open an account there @hkcard
Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao takes AMEX(at least the one in WTC does) (edit out, you've noted that part)

Last edited by kaka; Jun 29, 2011 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
actually: reading one of your posts, you did quote from me here! (At city of dreams)

maybe i should consider taking my words back. DCC is EVERYWHERE. just watch out peeps
Yeah but in City of Dreams you got the opportunity to opt out after you've detected it - not ideal but not the worst case by far. midnitie wasn't given the option to do so (and s/he didn't have the time to reverse the whole payment either).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:41 am

i think they didnt have the offer when i was there. anyway my transaction was only 300HKD.

btw, for those shops who refuse to take AMEX due to a broken machine, i always just tell them to call the card center. AND if they refuse to take AMEX all together, i found it really pleasant to call AMEX helpline to complain unlike other credit cards.
as always never tried in PRC (cuz i've never spent a buck there for the last 5 years min)

btw percysmith, i just saw this and cant be bothered to open an account there @hkcard
Crystal Jade Xiao Long Bao takes AMEX(at least the one in WTC does) (edit out, you've noted that part)
Grand Hyatt Bangkok Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur and Raffles Country Club tried to pull the "no american express do you have another card sir" on me. They were met with a very curt No. I think it'd help if I pre-checked out the hotels at night to avoid unhelpful/unskilled cashiers and/or impatient 趕住搭賭 Hongkie friends and relatives.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Grand Hyatt Bangkok and Raffles Country Club tried to pull the "no american express do you have another card sir" on me. They were met with a very curt No. I think it'd help if I pre-checked out the hotels at night to avoid unhelpful/unskilled cashiers and/or impatient 趕住搭賭 Hongkie friends and relatives.
i think i have gotten to a habit that i pay whenever its convinient to me and defo before checkout. I've have once recently not do it (cuz i arrived dead tired after 3 hours of driving at 2-3am and the checkin agent told me the right rate i figured checkout should be easy)
The checkout cashier could not find the rate. That annoyed me to the max due to card present transaction for SCB for $2/mile promo.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Grand Hyatt Bangkok and Raffles Country Club tried to pull the "no american express do you have another card sir" on me. They were met with a very curt No. I think it'd help if I pre-checked out the hotels at night to avoid unhelpful/unskilled cashiers and/or impatient 趕住搭賭 Hongkie friends and relatives.
I've had that happen elsewhere in Thailand but it's shocking that institutions like the Grand Hyatt and Raffles would do that.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
I've had that happen elsewhere in Thailand but it's shocking that institutions like the Grand Hyatt and Raffles would do that.
Raffles is Singapore golf club - we played there under a reciprocal access agreement they had with our China golf club. It took them 5 mins to realise they need to generate a pre-auth from their (DBS SG) terminal and then process the actual transaction as an offline transaction - it's a poorly designed terminal. Fortunately they let my parents, uncles and aunties to the changing room or else someone else will fork over a Premiermiles and ruin my day.

I think the other was actually Mandarin Oriental KUL not Hyatt BKK. Apologies to Hyatt BKK for the black mark, duly retracted.

MO KUL is not worth the money I paid anyway so I was pretty insistent they do the card txn correctly.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:49 am

Quick update on welcome offers

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-49.html#734

1. (You already have this) Citi PM: 9,500 miles plus Jet Airways ticket to LHR/EWR/MXP for $20,000 spending
https://www.citibank.com.hk/HKGCB/AP...m_visacard.htm
http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5436
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5411

2. ICBC HK Airlines: HKG-PEK tix for $64K Visa spending or HKG-SIN for $81K spending
http://www.icbcasia.com/big5/etool/f...HKAirlines.pdf
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5337

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 30, 2011 at 1:50 am
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Just want to note, I think the Shacomm Asia Miles Welcome Bonus is gone. It appears they only allow for you to choose between 1 of the 4 gifts, none of them being extra bonus points. At least on their online application.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
The Citibank welcome offer seems amazing - what's the catch!?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by toplayer
The Citibank welcome offer seems amazing - what's the catch!?
Need to spend $20,000 :P
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Dasanii
Just want to note, I think the Shacomm Asia Miles Welcome Bonus is gone. It appears they only allow for you to choose between 1 of the 4 gifts, none of them being extra bonus points. At least on their online application.
Application form page 1 options are still valid - $300 cash rebate or 3,000AM - so the choice is still there http://www.shacombank.com.hk/bankscb/pdf/b5_CRD001.pdf. You just have to key in the right welcome offer code (S3000)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:47 am

dcc iis now even on paypal.....
i cant be bothered to explain more
Paypal tried to sell my USD balance to pay a HKD Jigocity (Groupon competitor) purchase at $7.54/USD. Fat chance I was gonna sell at that rate, I managed to get it to charge my Amex in HKD directly.

(If I tried to pay Jigocity directly I can't charge Amex - Visa/MC only).
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:06 am

DBS 2011 Summer Shopping promotion

http://www.dbs.com.hk/zh/consumer/cr...=monthlyPromo7

Additional $1 per DB$ ($0.048/mile)/$50 per DB$ ($2.4/mile)/$80 per DB$ (3.84/mile)/$100 per DB$ ($4.8/mile)
These are in addition to normal earn rate of $125/DB$ ($6/mile).

But, qualifying transactions are only:
  • Transactions >=$500
  • In one of three spend categories: overseas excl. Macau, dept store or electronics
  • Online purchase not counted (this one's a killer)

And just in case you managed to clear all those hurdles, there's a cap on eligible spending of $30,000 only.

I only got $100 per DB$ ($4.8/mile). Not expecting to have any qualifying spending anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
This promo now makes the DBS my card of choice for the upcoming US trip in August. I drew HK$100 to DBS$1 as well, making the final rate $2.18/mile for overseas spending over HK$500. Will easily hit the $30,000 limit for this promotion with hotels, fuel and shopping.

I'm so surprised at how much better the DBS card is in terms of promotions than Cathay's own card. The Watsons rebate will be useful and so will the ParknShop 易賞錢 draw. Cathay is getting cut as soon as PremierMiles and BankComm approve our application.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by dietevil
This promo now makes the DBS my card of choice for the upcoming US trip in August. I drew HK$100 to DBS$1 as well, making the final rate $2.18/mile for overseas spending over HK$500. Will easily hit the $30,000 limit for this promotion with hotels, fuel and shopping.
But be careful - your extra ratio's gonna get rounded up to nearest HK$100 per transaction (this point confirmed with CS). If you run 15 transactions of HK$750 in your US trip, for instance, you'll be rounded down by 7.5 DB$ or 156 miles for instance. So the number of miles you earn will be (750 x 15)/2.18 - 156 = 5,005 miles, which equates to (750 x 15)/5,005 = $2.25/mile earn rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.