FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Hire a maid and earn points! (In HK only) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/517755-hire-maid-earn-points-hk-only.html)

Guy Betsy Jan 22, 2006 1:51 pm

Hire a maid and earn points! (In HK only)

I don't know what society has come to these days when Asiamiles is offering you miles for booking your maid's flights online!

Earn 2,000 Asia Miles when you book flights online for your foreign domestic helper

http://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn/air...133448,00.html

AJLondon Jan 22, 2006 2:19 pm

ROFL :D This has to be one of the more interesting promos though!

jkc22 Jan 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
...Earn 2,000 Asia Miles when you book flights online for your foreign domestic helper...

Darn! I wish I had a foreign one..... so I can get 2K points..... :D

MrsDrD Jan 22, 2006 5:44 pm

Actually, have to say I thought it was a very clever idea!

And as we were actually about to book our helper passage for her holidays in April, CX will get the business!

The points are neither here nor there (although a nice gesture) but what I thought was very nice touch is the extra baggage allowance for the helper if booked by the employer in this manner. Leveraging the fact that many of us are FF with all sorts of extra perks but our helpers are not, and when they are travelling alone for holidays they like to take *lots* of stuff home with them.

Our helper was suitably impressed with an extra free 10kg allowance - assuaged her trepidation about flying CX when she has only ever flown Phillipine airlines before :p I assured her CX was reputable and I'm certain she will find she will enjoy her flight :D

christep Jan 22, 2006 6:34 pm

I've also heard that Filipinos find it a lot easier/quicker to get through Immigration/Customs in Terminal 1 at NAIA (MNL), which is where all the foreigners come in, than at Terminal 2 (the Philippines Airlines one) which is almost exclusively local and, apparently, rife with corruption and delays.

lilazncanadian Jan 22, 2006 6:40 pm

I don't know what society has come to these days when Asiamiles is offering you miles for booking your maid's flights online!

Earn 2,000 Asia Miles when you book flights online for your foreign domestic helper

http://www.asiamiles.com/en/earn/air...133448,00.html

Hm.. domestic helpers are quite common. I remember being on a BKK to HKG flight and this caucasian woman, her cute son and their domestic helper were all on the flight.

I lined up behind them to get through HK immigration in the permanent residence line and unfortunately I got held up because there was some problem with their documentation.

Funny how my friend got through the Passport holders line with her Canadian passport quicker than me in the HK Permanent Resident Card line (AIYA!).

Nice to know that the AsiaMiles program is thinking of the domestic helper in their customer base.

sxc Jan 22, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm sure you know this but just in case you didn't, it is written into most (all?) domestic helper contracts that the employer must buy them a ticket home every 2 years (or is it 1 year...I'm not sure the exact specifics).

daniellam Jan 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Just a thought... how about opening a credit card "Merchant Account" for the domestic helper and each time you pay her she'll charge your credit card which earns AsiaMiles (if you are willing to pay the domestic helper a bit more to cover the credit card fee)?

tfung Jan 22, 2006 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by lilazncanadian
I lined up behind them to get through HK immigration in the permanent residence line and unfortunately I got held up because there was some problem with their documentation.

I always want to slap the people who go through the permanent resident line with their kids and helpers... Sure, one in their group may have a permanent ID, but the others do not. They should all go to the resident line instead of holding up the permanent ID line...I wish the immigration officers would let the parents go through and send the kids to the other lines to teach the parents a lesson...

Gambler Jan 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by tfung
I always want to slap the people who go through the permanent resident line with their kids and helpers... Sure, one in their group may have a permanent ID, but the others do not. They should all go to the resident line instead of holding up the permanent ID line...I wish the immigration officers would let the parents go through and send the kids to the other lines to teach the parents a lesson...

Thought that line was for "Permanent Residents" and not necessarily only permanent residents with the relevant ID card or do you not consider any child to be a permanent resident if they have not yet applied for their ID card?

After all, the immigration ordinance does not define a permanent resident purely by status of their permanent ID card.

christep Jan 22, 2006 8:22 pm

The essence of it as understood by everyone I know is that if you need more than your HKID card to enter HK then you shouldn't be in the Permanent Residents' line.

fallinasleep Jan 22, 2006 8:38 pm

This promotion has been on the CX website for at least a year. While it is a nice touch for mileage junkies, it's a limited-use promotion since most Filipina foreign domestic helpers are not from Manila and will have to change terminals and airlines at MNL.

Originally Posted by tfung

Which triple eight super duper status do you have? Mine guarantees that I am always on the shortest line.

In any case, I am sure your helpers took you on the same lines and caused the same backups only a few years back. Cut the others some slack.

tfung Jan 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gambler
Thought that line was for "Permanent Residents" and not necessarily only permanent residents with the relevant ID card or do you not consider any child to be a permanent resident if they have not yet applied for their ID card?

After all, the immigration ordinance does not define a permanent resident purely by status of their permanent ID card.

There is both a permanent idenity card line and a residents line. The permanent idenity card has 3 stars on it and says on the back of it you have the right of abode in Hong Kong. The resident ID card only has 1 star, and just says you are a resident of hong kong. You only get a permanent idenity card if you are 18 or over, thus I do not consider any child to be a permanent resident. When a child enters hong kong, they need their resident ID card as well as their passport and arrivals card. The immigration officer needs to input that information in the computer and stamp the passport, and doing so slows down the line.. For a permanent resident, the officer just scans the ID card, looks at the picture and you're on your way.. usually takes 10 seconds tops...

Anyways, the point is that if someone does not have a permanent ID card, ie kids, domestic helpers, etc, they should go to the residents line!

tfung Jan 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
In any case, I am sure your helpers took you on the same lines and caused the same backups only a few years back. Cut the others some slack.

Actually, never travelled with a helper. When I was a kid, I don't think Kai Tak had permanent ID card lines.. everyone just went to HK residents line..

mdevans Jan 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Permanant residency

The permanant resident ID card does not always have 3 stars on the back. This is, if I remember correctly, requires that you are of chinese descent and were born in Hong Kong.

Both my wife and I have permanent residency, my children were born here and are also, according to the validation in their passports, permanent residents. ID cards are not issued until the age of 11 but until then we will continue to use the permanant residents channel as is our right