NRT-TPE in First Class: CX vs. CI?

Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
NRT-TPE in First Class: CX vs. CI?

Can some please compare the service/experience on the NRT-TPE route (1356 miles) in F on CX451 which deaprts at 16:15 vs. China Airlines 101 which departs at 17:00.

I generally would automatically take CX, but may not make my connection from JL, and CI offer the next available flight. Both operate 747-400 on that route.

Seats, IFE, Food, Champange & Wine quality, Service, etc. would be helpful.

Thanx.

Thanx
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
Can some please compare the service/experience on the NRT-TPE route (1356 miles) in F on CX451 which deaprts at 16:15 vs. China Airlines 101 which departs at 17:00.

I generally would automatically take CX, but may not make my connection from JL, and CI offer the next available flight. Both operate 747-400 on that route.

Seats, IFE, Food, Champange & Wine quality, Service, etc. would be helpful.

Thanx.

</font>
Well, on the day I want to travel, it looks like CI 101 leaves at 16:25, which is only 10 minutes later than CX 451, and still 5 minutes short of the 110 minute "legal" connection minimum at NRT...which leaves UA 853 at 18:35.

So, my sense is that I will either make the CX or CI flights, or have to wait around for the UA flight.

I am still curious about the food and wine difference on CX vs. CI, though. I will be taking CX TPE-HKG-TPE-NRT, so a random segment on CI, if it was nice, wouldn't hurt (miles to the wind)...

Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Are you seriously considering flying CI? The airline with one of the worst safety records in the world? I woulnd't worry about comparing the IFE quality until after comparing some of the more basic factors....
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Didn't know about the safety record...how many people would not fly them...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
There would have to be a very, very compelling reason for me to fly with China Airlines. They are on the list with Korean, Garuda, PIA, Air India and Orient Thai.

I also prefer not to fly DC10/MD-11.

See http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics
Old Mar 21, 2004, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by christep:
There would have to be a very, very compelling reason for me to fly with China Airlines. They are on the list with Korean, Garuda, PIA, Air India and Orient Thai.

I also prefer not to fly DC10/MD-11.

See http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics
</font>
This flight is a 747-400.

Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:17 pm

Programs: some
I flew them a couple of times but will now avoid it at all costs. It was in C class and the AMS-TPE (via BKK) leg was horrendous. Much worse than Y on SIA or CX. The TPE-AKL leg was fine.

More importantly...on taxi Amsterdam (this was not long after the disaster off Taiwan's east coast a few years back) there was this horrible noise coming from the front wheels. Whenever we turned it sounded as if the wheels would come off. The FAs didn't look very worried. They did hand out a survey card asking for the three most important things when choosing an airline (a few weeks after that major crash!). I felt compelled to write
1) safety
2) safety
3) safety

After taking off I s*****d my pants for about 10 mins as we were flying parallel with another plane but so incredibly close it was scary. I've flown a lot but have never seen anything like it before or after. The other plane was slight higher than us and eventually crossed over us. I swear I could feel the turbulence from the jets...(this may have all been perfectly safe of course!)

Not again if I don't have to...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:51 pm

Apart from their safety record, CI isn't that bad at all. Catering and service are of very high standard. They may not be CX or SQ but they sure not far behind. If they could improve their safety I will not hesitate to fly them again.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
This flight is a 747-400.</font>
Well maybe you're just living up to your name, or maybe you just have a different version of logic to me. To be explicit:

I prefer not to fly on a flight which is operated by (CI/KE/GA/PI/Orient Thai)OR(DC10/MD-11).

Clearly a flight operated by one of those airlines on a DC10/MD-11 is doubly bad, but either is sufficient for me to avoid it if possible.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by christep:
Well maybe you're just living up to your name, or maybe you just have a different version of logic to me. To be explicit:

I prefer not to fly on a flight which is operated by (CI/KE/GA/PI/Orient Thai)OR(DC10/MD-11).

Clearly a flight operated by one of those airlines on a DC10/MD-11 is doubly bad, but either is sufficient for me to avoid it if possible.
</font>
I was just presenting the full facts.

For those who may be curious, I rec'd an email from CI with excerpts from their menu/wine list:

For the period of MARCH-MAY for NRT-TPE:

SHINYEH Taiwanese cuisine:

The trio plate of deep fried halibut with
black bean sause/steamed dry scallops & winter melon, champignon & carrot/braise abalone mushroom, sweet pepper & pea/rice.

KAISEKI style Japanese cuisine:

MARCH - grilled spanish mackerel flavored
with saikyo-miso. [mmm, too bad March is almost over.]

APRIL - steamed pork roll stuffed with tofu & vegetables. [not my cup of tea.]

MAY - simmerd flatcish flavored with ginger.

WESTERN cuisine: Grilled beef with orel and mustard sauce. [Sounds good to me.]

(To avoid your menu choice is not available, please contact our Reservation Center to make an advance order.) [nice idea.]

We have gathered for your enjoyment an exceptional portfolio of fine wine.

Classic Red Wine: Chateau Pichon-Longueville Baron,France/Cre Classe en
1855 [I presume this is not the 1855 vintage.]

Chardonnay, Napa Valley, the USA/Raymond
Vineyard and Cellar

Shiraz-Cabernet, Australia/Rosemount Estate

Classic Champagne: Pol Roger, Cuvee Brut/Epernay, France

Whiskey: Royal Salute 21 years Blended Scotch Whisky

1st class passengers are entitles to use Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge at Narita Airport.

[So, while I think I'll end up on either CX (hopefully, I'll make the connection), or UA (CI sounds much nicer), I thought people would be interested in knowing what CI is offering.

Thanks for your input.

[This message has been edited by nologic (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:29 am

CX has individual seats in F, CI has 2-2 seating.

service will be similar, CI flight crew are very attentive

catering will be similar, although CX wine/alcohol list is better

CX will have AVOD and the equipment are better

the JL lounge is very basic, but then the CX lounge is tired

i would not fly CI because of the safety issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.