Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Food & History Tour

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Hong Kong Food & History Tour

I am looking for recommendations on a food & history tour of hong kong (and any related trip reports would be great as well).

I'm hoping to arrange a long layover in HK - 20ish hours, and would like to do a walking tour that goes over the history of HK and along the way stops at delicious food stops (restaurants/stalls/bars/whatever - not fine dining - just good food).

Anyone have suggestions and/or trip reports?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Go to the HK Museum of History in Tsim Sha Tsui East, well worth it.

Construct a walking itinerary based on food joints. Street food is good in Mong Kok, very traditional.

Michelin Bib Gourmand joints are normally ok and cover noodle shops, dumpling houses and other cheapish places. Use that as a starting point.

As for a guided tour combining the two, not sure those exist.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I actually preferred http://www.discoverhongkong.com/uk/s...ery-centre.jsp especially if time is tight, over the HK museum of history (although both are good).

There are foodie tours - I know a mate of mine did one, but it's probably unnecessary.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
There are foodie tours - I know a mate of mine did one, but it's probably unnecessary.
When time is short (or the area is really unknown) I love food tours! Didn't do any in HK though, so I have none to recommend. But if you find one - let us know how it was for my next trip^
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by 100% Green
I am looking for recommendations on a food & history tour of hong kong (and any related trip reports would be great as well).

I'm hoping to arrange a long layover in HK - 20ish hours, and would like to do a walking tour that goes over the history of HK and along the way stops at delicious food stops (restaurants/stalls/bars/whatever - not fine dining - just good food).

Anyone have suggestions and/or trip reports?

On my first two visits to Hong Kong I booked food tours with the Hong Kong Foodie Tasting Tours group. In addition to exploring various culinary offerings, they also talk about the culture, architecture, and history of the locations that are visited.

The first time I did the Central & Sheung Wan tour, and during my return visit a year later I sampled the Sham Shui Po tour. Both of the tours, and the guides who accompanied us, were excellent. I found the tours to provide a terrific overview for me as a solo traveler who was new to the area.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I follow a few writers/bloggers who work for Little Adventures in Hong Kong. I've always enjoyed their writing and if I was in the market for something like this, I'd certainly consider them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.