Search

STPC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
STPC

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/ima...Conditions.pdf

I was able to only find the above info, which applies only to AKL I think.

Is there any general STPC rules for CX (mainly for HKG?), either for booked connections (where the earliest connecting flight is more than X hours), or in the case of IRROPS?

As an experience for the latter, I was doing ex-PVG one time, connecting to HND. First leg delayed for a few hours (typical PVG, also my last ex-PVG ever), they booked me onto a KA redeye to HND, which I rejected cause of the bad J seats in addition to the timing. After a reasonable conversation with the ground staff, I got a regal airport room and a better CX flight the next day.

For some OW airlines, general rules for STPC are quite unequivocally worded. I wonder if anyone here may share some insight about CX on this matter.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:31 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX has so much frequency that there are very few, if any, connections that require a forced STPC. So I don’t think there’s any published policy.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
No STPC that I am aware of for booked connections.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Originally Posted by sxc
CX has so much frequency that there are very few, if any, connections that require a forced STPC. So I don’t think there’s any published policy.
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
No STPC that I am aware of for booked connections.
Thanks for this.

Yes, the frequency would mean less need to stay overnight at HKG. I'm sure with hotel prices in Hong Kong, it would make sense for them too.

I suppose a first leg delay resulting in a connection being missed happens more to short hauls connecting to long hauls. This would happen a lot to mainland flights due to ATC. I wonder if affected passengers are statistically more low maintenance than those from more worldly places.

In IRROPS, CX seems to me to be acting rather passive. I would have liked it if there's more clear guidelines for passengers and staff alike to refer to when necessary.

I don't know if status flyers are treated differently in this case. I'm CX Gold. From my limited experience, they would not have done anything had I not asked, nor would they likely make an effort to hide their "I'm bothered" face when handling it. To be honest, I've grown to be ambivalent about this, (I can imagine being told off at flyertalk-like places that delays due to ATC or operational reasons causing a missed connection does not render CX liable...) and have been getting more experienced with buying and claiming from insurances as a work around to put things in my control.

If one try to reason a bit, is it truly out of line to have any expectations from the airline?

I understand similar issues have been raised. I just think a guideline really would not hurt.

Or, if the current guideline is that CX WILL NOT do STPC for passengers under any circumstances, having that put somewhere on the site would not hurt this case either.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
STPC is different to accomodation due to irrops. STPC is accomodation due to scheduled long layover. For IRROPS I don’t think there is a published policy, but anecdotally it seems that CX is quite generous in this regard and will look after you.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Last year when CX re-timed the SUB flights from mid afternoon till early hours of the next morning due to volcanic activity in the area which gave me something like an 18 hour layover, CX put me up in the Regal Airport hotel.

The change was known in advance and I called CX to see if they would provide a hotel as the schedule had changed from when I booked and would not have booked the revised schedule. They told me to check on departure at AMS. When I got to check in on the day of the flight, the agent saw a note in my booking and told me to go to the ticket desk to collect a hotel voucher for HKG. Happy with the outcome but didn't know if they were going to provide it until I checked in at the desk.

S
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I guess the policy for IRROPS is 8 hours, based on a very recent experience.

I was on DEL-HKG with some ~15-20 colleagues, all in business class...most of us with final destination HKG while maybe 3 TPE, 1-2 PEK, 2 NRT etc. original schedule had the flight arriving at some 6 am so decent connections for all of them. but because of technical problem, the flight was delayed 20 hours and hence we all arrived like 2 am the next day, already completely exhausted. they were then told on arrival in HKG there's no hotel provided for <8 hours for IRROPS and even when it's overnight and CX has no lounges open (all of us were in business class and at least 3-4 of the 6-7 having connections are long time DM).

this was especially bad when they were told in India by some managers that CX would certainly provide hotels in HK in such situation, and they in fact have their assistants in TPE called CX TPE etc as well and was confirmed the same message. but on arrival in HKG, I didn't see this myself but my colleague said, basically one said, "only for 8 hours or above"...then the other echoed, yes, now you "only" have 6 hours...literally just asking these DM flying business class to find a bench in the airport themselves to sleep.

Eventually of course they did fight for it and got it...but was also initially asked to share rooms...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.