Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Dual checking of boarding passes for all Cathay Pacific flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold

Towards the end of the September Account Summary:

CLUB NOTICE

Our ground staff and cabin crew play an important role in maintaining high standards of aircraft security. For the safety of passengers, we are now checking boarding passes at both the boarding gate and aircraft door. Please keep your boarding pass out to smoothen the process.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:09 am

Standard practice nothing new here.

It's just some DYKWIA pax would run onboard with a blank face avoiding all eye contact with their boarding pass in pockets. Then when you ask to see their pass, they go:

-why?
-again?
-They check everywhere so annoying la!
-DLLM!
-I'm a DM/GO/SL/GR/AM you should know who I am!
-Go deal with it yourself!
-what kind of service is this!?!?!'

Combination or all of the above. True story...
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As usual I assume that "secuity" and "safety" in this actually mean "revenue protection". I can't see any possible security risk being introduced between the gate and the aircraft door. What they're trying to do is make sure people go to the right cabin when boarding.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Really?

My experience is that, at least at HKG, I always use mobile boarding pass. And after getting checked at the gate, I usually just greet the folks at the door. They'd ask me my seat number, and I would just tell them 12A or something. I was never asked to present the boarding pass. The whole polite exchange at the door was not more than 1-2 seconds.

I don't think any DYKWIA is needed at that moment. When is this notice given out?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:45 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jckl
Standard practice nothing new here.

It's just some DYKWIA pax would run onboard with a blank face avoiding all eye contact with their boarding pass in pockets. Then when you ask to see their pass, they go:

-why?
-again?
-They check everywhere so annoying la!
-DLLM!
-I'm a DM/GO/SL/GR/AM you should know who I am!
-Go deal with it yourself!
-what kind of service is this!?!?!'

Combination or all of the above. True story...
If anything I'd think its DYKWIA when the pax would deliberately show their boarding pass to be told where seat 1A is even though they are DM and should very well know their way around a plane themselves at that point.. right?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by christep
As usual I assume that "secuity" and "safety" in this actually mean "revenue protection". I can't see any possible security risk being introduced between the gate and the aircraft door. What they're trying to do is make sure people go to the right cabin when boarding.
It is to prevent any slip-through at the gate. Let's not forget a while ago a pax did go through to airside and got onboard without a valid booking or a boarding pass at LHR of all airport. I think in this day-and-age we'd all rather be safe than sorry.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's still revenue protection not security. It doesn't make any difference to the safety or security of passengers if somebody sneaks onto a plane without paying. If the person has passed through the security check then they are just as safe as any other passenger. If people are able to get to that point without passing through the security check then then passengers with boarding passes are just as much of a risk.

But sadly the airlines need to pander to the ignorance of people of little brain who think that it does.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I can see where they're coming from..security aside, have seen a fair few folks walk back up and switch aisles to be on the correct side.

In practice, when I board early and tell my seat column to the greeter at the door- in ICAO r/t language (Alpha/Kilo etc), I usually get a smiling 'oh, so you know which aisle to take' or something like that, rather than a request to sight the bp.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Passengers sitting in the right seat is also an element of security. I certainly welcome this feature and yes my flights in September have seen ISMs checking BPs carefully on all flights.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Nothing can stop ur northern cousins 9sitting around the cabin after checking at the DOOR.

the only thing that can be done is stopping the wrong people turning left and having another layer to check the wrong people boarding a plane.

is this revenue protection? Come on....
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
In a US port a TSA agent got on board with a boarding pass for a different flight last week (as a test). CX will be fined for that. There was talk of the double check for US flights but it's been decided to do it for all to mantain consistency.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jckl
It is to prevent any slip-through at the gate.
Originally Posted by Cassie55
In a US port a TSA agent got on board with a boarding pass for a different flight last week (as a test).
This was my also my take on the double check. Reduce the risk of anyone getting on a flight with a bp for a different flight or even no bp.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I have not seen this practice in any other ports except ports in China. This is just another assimilation of HK following Chinese rules.

As for this check making things "safer". I doubt it. A pax has already gone through the main security checks, custom ID-confirmation. Gate-check, ID-confirmation. There's nothing a "slip pax" can do that will harm a plane a "right pax" couldn't do. One would think if a pax wants to do harm to a plane, he would just buy a ticket to that plane per se, instead of running the risk of going on a plane he's not supposed to be on, get exposed for sitting at someone else's seat, and be dealt with with security and scrutiny.

I agree with Chris on this point - from the standpoint of safety, this adds nothing.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I have not seen this practice in any other ports except ports in China. This is just another assimilation of HK following Chinese rules.
All flights from India will have security personnel, armed I think, checking your boarding pass just before the plane door- that's after the scan at the gate.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by christep
That's still revenue protection not security. It doesn't make any difference to the safety or security of passengers if somebody sneaks onto a plane without paying. If the person has passed through the security check then they are just as safe as any other passenger. If people are able to get to that point without passing through the security check then then passengers with boarding passes are just as much of a risk.

But sadly the airlines need to pander to the ignorance of people of little brain who think that it does.
Uhhh...

The operating airline sends pax manifests and associated data to the outbound and inbound countries. In many cases this isn't done until pax are boarded. Different countries have different requirements and it is used in differing ways. For example, a pax may be on a no fly list for aviation security reasons or human smuggling reasons by the inbound country or be flagged by the outbound country for criminality or overstay. Because many airports do not have separate international-only terminals, having a valid domestic booking to clear security and then sneaking onto a plane going internationally poses a threat if the data is not processed and sent as required. Countries such as Canada issue a BOARD or DENY message at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.