Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Worth complaining for? Delayed for more than 18 hrs in HKG.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth complaining for? Delayed for more than 18 hrs in HKG.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Well, MNL is not known for it's efficiency and there could have been many reasons why the plane decided to wait for the passengers. It could have also been because OP's flight is the last one out of MNL for the day for CX.

Had the pilot decided to wait til T-10 to offload, OP did mention the baggage guys took 30ish minutes to find and offload the bags which wouls put them at a 20 min delay which is enougg time to lose the slot at MNL given that the last bank of flight departures are all well under way at around that time.

Personally I never leave less than 2.5 hours connection time when flying out of MNL because of the delays due to congestion and what not (which I've come to be used to for the last 25 odd years).
Its really his own fault. He knew the cut off time was shortened yet he did not leave for the airport earlier to try to catch the earlier flight . Blaming the daily manila traffic is out of the question cos traffic delays there are a given.
I always add an extra 1 hr for traffic and immigration queues to the two hours on weekends and 3 hours check in time on weekdays. Then as others said, the delays at manila airport are getting longer and longer. Add on another 30 to 60 mins there minimum.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:31 am

I also think that if you know the connecting time is tight, and the flight you booked has a track record of delay, you really should go to the airport earlier to catch the earlier flight. This 18 hours delay could have been avoided, but you just let it happen.

If they already paid for your accommodation, they have fulfilled their obligation. Maybe travel insurance should be the party to compensate you, if you have bought it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
You should really be after qr for damages
afterall they are the one who gave your seat away.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by percysmith
QR815 is the last flight to DOH for QR. Why didn't it wait?
Strictly impose be at boarding gate 30 minutes before departure rules?
Since CX and QR are different airlines, it may have been down to airline policy; but most likely it was because the CX flight was not full (per OP) and the QR flight was probably overbooked (given that there were standby pax).

Personally, the 'Be at the gate 30/40/45... min' notice is a reminder so that you don't miss the more important 'Gate closes 10/15/20 min before scheduled departure' one. We may never know why the captain decided to wait for the pax.

As for making the earlier CX flight, OP did mention that getting on it was space dependent, so even if he had been at the airport earlier but the flight was full then he would have still been stuck on his original flight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Your mistake was expecting any flight out of MNL to be on time. They are NEVER on time. MNL is just like that. You should have changed to the 902, which is always overbooked but everyone moves to the earlier flight anyway and it's not actually hard to get on. Had you got to the airport on time, which again is not hard if you use the train to get close and then take a taxi (if you are far away). Sounds to me like you didn't do any planning at all nor understand the limitations of Manila.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hehheh I thought framed in the context was "you held up CX934 in a way that my ongoing QR815 (or your own flights in HKG) won't be held up for me" was a legitimate complaint, but I seem to be in the minority.

Glad we've demonstrated our introspective tendencies, my fears in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...s-thereon.html are unfounded.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I'm not sure how this notion about cabin crew being responsible for misconnections came about. They did what little they could, like moving people closer to the front before landing, but the responsibility lies with the ground crew to sort things out.
I'm not sure about it so I'm asking. Can they talk to the ground crew so someone will pick me up at the gate and help me with the transfer as well just like what they did to the other passengers they pulled from the back of the plane? Upon landing there's an army of crew holding signs with names. Maybe cause I am connecting to QR so CX don't really care that much about me.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR

Even if the cabin crew did send a message over to the CX ground crew in HKG to liaison with the QR ground crew, sscywong is correct that most airlines would have already given your seat to a standby passenger by the time you actually showed up. The reason they gave your seat was probably because they saw that your flight was still in the air and there was a reasonable probability that you and/or your bag would not have made it on to the flight.
You are correct. I did in fact mentioned that there's a high chance my bag won't make it even if I did.

I'm guessing CX 902 was your alternative because of timing/commitments (I would have tried to get on CX 918 which leaves at 6pm since waiting in the lounges at HKG wouldn't be that much of a pain vs. my long-haul). You can always try to get compensation for the long layover from CX, but don't expect much since they will most likely say that circumstances for the delay were out of their control (i.e. immigration issue causing the passengers to be offloaded and thus missing the takeoff slot).
Since QR close the flight 10 mins before departure time and offloaded me. Why can't CX do the same in MNL? Why do we need to wait for passengers?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:39 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
You are correct. I did in fact mentioned that there's a high chance my bag won't make it even if I did.

Since QR close the flight 10 mins before departure time and offloaded me. Why can't CX do the same in MNL? Why do we need to wait for passengers?
In your case, your bag isn’t on the QR flight. In MNL those passengers had their bags on the flight.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

you are correct
since it is clearly written on the boarding pass (best check coc too)
you should claim them for your losses. Maybe dont do it in HKG, but say europe or usa
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Why don't I ask you this - how much are you expecting, assuming CX will give you one?
Maybe a travel voucher for future use?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Let me try to attribute the various delays.
Your original booking was:

21:15 Leave MNL
23:35 Arrive HKG
00:50 Leave HKG

So you had 75 mins.
I dunno whether QR HKG doors close cut-off is 10 mins or 20. Assume it's 10.
So you have 65 mins. Actually less unless the two planes are side-by-side gates at HKG.
Who lost your time?

You failed to get to MNL before 21:15. Traffic I know, but that isn't CX's fault either.

30 mins cos they're waiting for passengers
30 mins to offload
30 mins to recover takeoff slot

Yeah your buffer is well and truly overdrawn.

---

I think you do have a cause of complaint
- QR doors closed on you on time. As would CX in HKG
- But why didn't CX do so in MNL?!

If the missing MNL pax didn't show up to gate say 10 mins before departure, shouldn't CX ground agents at MNL start thinking about offloading their bags?
Detained by immigration or not, CX has no obligation to wait for them and in fact caused you loss by doing so.
Although what happens in HKG cannot be expected to be repeated in every CX outport, you suffered because QR did to you in HKG (an outport to QR, BTW), what CX failed to do to the missing pax in MNL.

A day's lost income is a good place to start asking.

---

But as pointed out above, it's not the FAs' fault. They did communicate to ground you're a delayed connecting passenger.
I did try to be placed in CX908 but there were no space available according to the phone agent.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm struggling to think of the circumstances under which that would happen:

- if the pax are legally admitted into to country and the authorities don't want them out, they can simply inform CX to not wait for those two pax

- if the pax are transit pax they'd be very exceptional for authorities to detain them. Lots of legal and diplomatic issues seizing a pax in transit

- if the pax arrived without proper papers to enter the country then the authorities can easily have the airline return him?
My guess is they were local resident.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
My guess is they were local resident.
Then just send them home. CX won't even have to provide care.

- if the pax are transit pax they'd be very exceptional for authorities to detain them. Lots of legal and diplomatic issues seizing a pax in transit
Correction - it can be done https://www.hk01.com/%E6%B8%AF%E8%81...A5%97%E7%8F%BE . But the card fraudster was on KA so HK Police will have no jurisdiction problems.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Maybe a travel voucher for future use?
AFAIK - CX has no such thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.