Wiki Posts
Search

Cx lgw >> hkg

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Cx lgw >> hkg

Never tried this. I am equidistant between LGW and LHR and almost always use BA for my HKG trips.

But it does seem to be quite a nice timing if I don't want to burn any of my weekend time with the family.

Anyone any insights on this flight? (good or bad).

Wierdly, I am not seeing a return leg show up (I am just querying on expedia so maybe my specific date wasn't helpful). Is it outbound only? or just not every day? Just curious.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:00 am

Isn't it a daily flight?

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_....html?switch=Y
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
CX343/344 is daily A350.

New plane, no F (deal breaker for me since that's what I do on my rare trips to the UK), one of the trial routes for dine-on-demand in J. If in Y then you're in Y - just grin and bear it!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Nice timing? YMMV but evening departures work better for me for jet lag. Pity that CX only offers that ex europe out of LHR and (barely) CDG.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Maybe. I was searching 2nd hand (on expedia) and in J only, so maybe just sold all the J seats for my date. dunno.

edit - currently M,T,W,F,Sa,Su (and I normally fly home overnight Thur - Doh!)

But from 26/10 going down to 3 a week Th,F,Sa by the looks of things

So either they're not quite getting the traction they want running 6 a week out of LGW, or that's a winter timetable catering to business travellers still happy to fly in during typhoon season ;-)

Last edited by Pascoe; Aug 18, 2017 at 7:18 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Pascoe
But from 26/10 going down to 3 a week Th,F,Sa by the looks of things

So either they're not quite getting the traction they want running 6 a week out of LGW, or that's a winter timetable catering to business travellers still happy to fly in during typhoon season ;-)
Eh? Typhoon season is June to October, roughly.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Eh? Typhoon season is June to October, roughly.
Ah ok - was out a bit. Anyway, guess 3 days a week is winter timetable...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Never tried this. I am equidistant between LGW and LHR and almost always use BA for my HKG trips.

But it does seem to be quite a nice timing if I don't want to burn any of my weekend time with the family.

Anyone any insights on this flight? (good or bad).

Wierdly, I am not seeing a return leg show up (I am just querying on expedia so maybe my specific date wasn't helpful). Is it outbound only? or just not every day? Just curious.
I did CX ex LGW in PE earlier this year. I thought the flight was great, the seats very roomy and appreciated the decent recline and leg rest - it reminded me of travelling J class with United 10 years ago.

I am in a quandary whether to go ex LHR or ex LGW this December. The A350 used ex LGW had leg rest at all seats in PE which was a big thing for me. I understand these will be fitted to the B777 in all rows re LHR. The ex-LGW flights arrive at HKG far too early to check into a hotel, so that is a big negative for me - earlier this year on arrival at HKG I was connecting to BKK.

Although the new BA lounge at LGW is great, I really love the refurbished CX 1st lounge at LHR.

Overall if the price is similar I would go ex LHR and return to LGW.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

if I go outbound I'll be landing and going straight to the office by the looks of things. So check in time is somewhat moot (although I stay 5 mins from my office so likely check in at lunchtime anyway).

I was just curious as didn't even know there was a flight until recently and it's seemingly the best option if I don't want to fly on a Sunday eve.

But I suspect it's a bit gruelling. Maybe as you say ex LHR but back into LGW is a good shout.

The BA lounge at LGW S is not bad at all but it's not so good it's a'destination' lounge imho. Whereas I am told the CX T3 lounge actually is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.