Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with 24 inch monitor

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
Traveling with 24 inch monitor

I am going to travel from SIN to HKG in Y later this week and will bring along a 24 inch monitor.

What is the best way to go about it?

I would love to bring it onboard but not sure if that's allowed.

Is it safe enough to have it checked in?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The key question is how big the packaging for the monitor is. If it fits within the cabin baggage rack then fine, if not then you'll need to check it.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
The key question is how big the packaging for the monitor is. If it fits within the cabin baggage rack then fine, if not then you'll need to check it.
Seems like won't fit with the packaging... but size is okay without it. what is the best way for me to just bring the monitor on board? Having it wrapped?

Anyways, cabin bag size limit is - 56cm x 36cm x 23cm

the size of the monitor without packaging is - 54.7 x 32.0 x 8.1 cm

monitor with packaging is - 61.8 x 15.6 x 38.7 cm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Wrap it in bubble wrap and carry it on?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Though officially that would be your carry-on (excluding "personal items") so you'd need to check most of your other stuff.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
I don't know if the liquids inside the LCD exceed 100mL or not

Anyway I guess this question goes down to whether SIN allows you to take it onboard or not... Size-wise with packing it is a bit over but I guess CX won't be too tight on this.

If you want to check it, I suggest you to put the monitor with package in your full size luggage case, fill your luggage case to make suer the packed monitor won't move around your luggage
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sscywong
I don't know if the liquids inside the LCD exceed 100mL or not

Anyway I guess this question goes down to whether SIN allows you to take it onboard or not... Size-wise with packing it is a bit over but I guess CX won't be too tight on this.

If you want to check it, I suggest you to put the monitor with package in your full size luggage case, fill your luggage case to make suer the packed monitor won't move around your luggage
thanks. I guess the issue is also security check is at the gate. So in case security doesn't let me take it onboard, I have no way of going back to check in counter to check it...
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by imnewhere
thanks. I guess the issue is also security check is at the gate. So in case security doesn't let me take it onboard, I have no way of going back to check in counter to check it...
Yes, you can. Security is before immigration. If you are stopped at the security, you can still get back to the check-in counters and see if they can give you an exception tag (I don't know if they will provide one to a SL), or check the monitor as luggage.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Yes, you can. Security is before immigration. If you are stopped at the security, you can still get back to the check-in counters and see if they can give you an exception tag (I don't know if they will provide one to a SL), or check the monitor as luggage.
No he can't. At SIN T1, security is still done at the gate. CX has not moved to T4 yet.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
No he can't. At SIN T1, security is still done at the gate. CX has not moved to T4 yet.
I misread and thought OP was flying HKG-SIN - my bad.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by imnewhere
So in case security doesn't let me take it onboard, I have no way of going back to check in counter to check it...
Is this a definite? Because I've gone back through security at untold airports for lesser reasons.

But equally important, if you could then go back to check it in, would it at that point even be packaged well enough to protect it?

Last, but maybe not least, a 24in monitor (especially if it's used) is between $50-$150 these days. Do you really need to take it or couldn't you just get one / borrow one in HKG?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:32 pm

Best is to check it in with the original shipping box.

I do SIN->HKG twice a month on CX and carry electronics stuff like pre-amp, power amplifiers, 4K projector and expensive audiophile cables. I have even lugged three 24" PC monitors (Dell) in my check-ins and EVERYTHING arrived intact and safe.

Anything that has a original shipping box, you should be check-in with it. If you do not have the box, as long as it fits into a luggage, just bubblewrap it, or if you don't have enough, use crumpled newspaper as padding.

If you still don't feel comfortable, just inform the check-in staff and she will
paste a fragile label to it, it will be stored in a different baggage area.

(Audio)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Okay. Thanks guys! I think I will stick with checking in the original box, unless CX says its okay to bring onboard at the check-in counter. In that case, I will just bring the whole box as a carry-on.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
You should be fine with it. The SO had me bring her 3yo hifi which she had not turn on back to SIN and I brought it back to HKG as carry on. No questions asked.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Grog
Is this a definite? Because I've gone back through security at untold airports for lesser reasons.
For future reference--it's not easy at Singapore. It used to be but no more...it requires being offloaded from the flight and checked in again, which doesn't work if you are 60 or less (OK, maybe 45 at a stretch) prior to departure. That caught me a couple of weeks ago when I forgot something and tried to go out to get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.